• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Soundbar Multiple Inputs without Optical

CmdZ4Life

Novice Member
Hi,

I have just bought a LG SK9Y soundbar.
I have read that the best way to connect multiple devices is through the TV (LG 65UK6500PLA) and then an optical cable to the soundbar.
I am using all 4 HDMI ports (Sky Q box, Apple TV, Blu-ray player and games console).

However, reading the instructions on the Sky Q box menu, an optical cable will not carry Dolby Atmos (which is needed from Sky Q and Apple TV).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

next010

Distinguished Member
Use HDMI-ARC port on the TV to connect the soundbar not optical.

ARC/optical support the same formats with the exception that there is a custom extension to ARC that allows the use of Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos.

For ARC Atmos to work the TV must support it, I believe your model does, set up the LG simplink (CEC) feature and set the audio out as the soundbar.

If the device cannot output DD+ Atmos then you must plug it directly into the HDMI pass-through on the soundbar.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom