Question Soundbar in open-fronted cabinet - good or bad idea?

AlanX

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a soundbar for our lounge TV. My preference would be to accommodate it in the top slot of the TV cabinet (see attached image).
So (and I'm showing my ignorance here!), are the speakers in soundbars usually front-facing or usually top-facing? If top-facing, I'd have to install it outside the cabinet, which doesn't suit the TV (screen height, style of the TV's stand, etc).
I'm sure I can plough through loads of specs and reviews, but I'm hoping someone with more knowledge and experience might lighten the load.
Many thanks.
AXP-2873.jpg

Hi , you definitely need one with front facing speakers so I'd avoid anything with upfiring speakers , have a look on Samsung , Sony , Yamaha websites etc but check speaker lay out on their site

Thanks. I've been looking for exploded views of soundbars to see how the speakers are arranged. Not much luck there, but I guess if the mesh is at the front, then the speakers are front-facing, and on the top for top-firing. Looking at the Yamaha YAS-207, which certainly looks like it's front firing.

Thanks. I've been looking for exploded views of soundbars to see how the speakers are arranged. Not much luck there, but I guess if the mesh is at the front, then the speakers are front-facing, and on the top for top-firing. Looking at the Yamaha YAS-207, which certainly looks like it's front firing.
it is.

I overcame this challenge by putting the bar on top of low speaker stands in front of the cabinet. The top edge of the bar is exactly the same height as the bottom of the TV in my case.

Amazon product ASIN B000IGU858

I really need this to be pretty much invisible - both visually and technically.
Does anyone know if the Samsung HW-K450 is top-firing or front-firing?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom