Question Soundbar if using Samsung One Connect Cable

Mattel1313

Novice Member
Hi guys - After some advice please. We currently have a Samsung Q9FN which is connected to all our boxes using the long One Connect cable, as the tv is on the opposite wall to all the inputs. This is quite clean but so far I have been confused as to what options we have if we were going to get a soundbar to sit under the TV. I don't really want to have an HDMI going from the soundbar all the way around the room, back to the One Connect box.

Am I missing something obvious? If there an easier way to connect a soundbar in this scenario or do we basically need to decide between having the extra cable or sticking to TV sound?

Cheers

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Some Samsung bars may be able to connect via Bluetooth but you’re going to have a power cable to accommodate...

Mattel1313

Novice Member
We have power near the tv and so that could work. If using Bluetooth would be be able to use atoms features on a n950 for example? I had understood that features were limited unless you use hdmi.

Thanks

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
No, Atmos won’t work over Bluetooth. And Samsung TVs don’t support Atmos via arc, except for built in apps.

So if you want Atmos via a 4K player then that’ll need to be connected to the bar and the bar connected to the tv.

Mattel1313

Novice Member
Yes I was just going to stick to the built in apps. Strange there’s no obvious solution but I guess our setup is a strange case. Everything stuck around the corner to be near the aerial point!

Mattel1313

Novice Member
Are you sure? Famous last words but I had googled that and everywhere seems to say no atmos through an optical cable.

Thanks for your help

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Atmos on built in apps is Dolby Digital so can be sent via optical so you can squirrel it alongside the one connect cable.

Mattel1313

Novice Member
Hi again - would you be able to point me to any thing which shows the above is correct? Not to discount you as you are being very helpful but I just want to make sure before we spend a load of money. Everything I can find seems to say that optical cable cannot carry the atmos signal, even for things being played from the TV.

NikG

Hi again - would you be able to point me to any thing which shows the above is correct? Not to discount you as you are being very helpful but I just want to make sure before we spend a load of money. Everything I can find seems to say that optical cable cannot carry the atmos signal, even for things being played from the TV.

Like the above user has correctly said
Samsung TVs internal apps e.g Netflix or devices connected direct to the TV can not pass lossy DD+ Atmos (LG OLED TVs can) when the soundbar is connected to HDMI ARC. The best you can get with the Samsung TVs apps is Dolby digital 5.1 connected to either optical or hdmi ARC to the soundbar.

If you want lossy or lossless Atmos you need to buy an Atmos capable device e.g blu Ray player, Apple TV 4K...and connect them straight into the sound-bar, and soundbar connected to TV with HDMI ARC.

Btw optical cannot pass DD+ Atmos on any TV only HDIM ARC can on certain TVs like the LG OLEDS.

Last edited:

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Like the above user has correctly said
Samsung TVs internal apps e.g Netflix can not pass lossy DD+ Atmos (LG OLED TVs can) when the soundbar is connected to HDMI ARC. The best you can get with the Samsung TVs apps is Dolby digital 5.1 using optical or hdmi ARC.

If you want lossy or lossless Atmos you need to buy an Atmos capable device e.g blu Ray player, Apple TV 4K...and connect them straight into the sound-bar.

Samsung TVs do support DD+ on the internal apps so will pass Atmos from Netflix et al.

NikG

Samsung TVs do support DD+ on the internal apps so will pass Atmos from Netflix et al.

Oh my mistake, sorry, didn’t think the latest Samsung TVs could pass DD+ Atmos over HDMI ARC like the LG OLEDS.

But don’t use optical if you want DD+ Atmos, optical can not bitstream DD+ Atmos only HDMI ARC can

Last edited:

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Oh my mistake, sorry, didn’t think the latest Samsung TVs could pass DD+ Atmos over HDMI ARC like the LG OLEDS.

But don’t use optical if you want DD+ Atmos

I think optical can pass DD? Is it to do with bandwidth as to why you need hdmi for DD+??

NikG

I think optical can pass DD? Is it to do with bandwidth as to why you need hdmi for DD+??

Optical can pass Dolby digital plus 5.1 and DTS but not DD+ Atmos, it just doesn’t have the signal to pass it, optical can only go up to 5.1 channels not 5.1.2, so use HDMI ARC

Last edited:

Mattel1313

Novice Member
Thanks both - So in my case where my connect box is currently at the opposite end of the room to the tv I have two options;

Run hdmi cable around the room - defeating the point of using the long connect cable which is easy to hide

Move the one connect box back to the tv. There is no aerial point there though, so would have to figure some way of getting the aerial signal across the room (Different topic, it ideas welcome there also).

On the same subject, does the Samsung tv Netflix app support atmos? Is the expectation that the upcoming iTunes app will do the same?

Thanks again for your help

NikG

Thanks both - So in my case where my connect box is currently at the opposite end of the room to the tv I have two options;

Run hdmi cable around the room - defeating the point of using the long connect cable which is easy to hide

Move the one connect box back to the tv. There is no aerial point there though, so would have to figure some way of getting the aerial signal across the room (Different topic, it ideas welcome there also).

On the same subject, does the Samsung tv Netflix app support atmos? Is the expectation that the upcoming iTunes app will do the same?

Thanks again for your help

Get a TV engineer and install an aerial socket near your tv, also I wouldn’t use any HDMI cable over 10 metres you might get a poor connection, it’s very hit and miss with long distances.

Ask the users in Samsung Q9fn thread they would know if Your TVs apps passes DD+ Atmos with HDMI ARC to a ATMOS soundbar. The user above says it does but I’m not sure.

Personally I thought Samsung TVs didn’t pass lossy Atmos

Mattel1313

Novice Member
If I can only use the optical cable, are there any decent standard (ie non Atmos) surround sound setups you would recommend? If I bought the Samsung 950 am I right to assume that I could get 5.1 from that through optical?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Immersive Audio (Atmos) - have you had a chance to try it in your room to ensure it is a real 'issue' if you cannot support it?

Joe

NikG

If I can only use the optical cable, are there any decent standard (ie non Atmos) surround sound setups you would recommend? If I bought the Samsung 950 am I right to assume that I could get 5.1 from that through optical?

Yes you will get DD 5.1 when using optical and the TV apps that have 5.1, I personally would try to use hdmi whatever the circumstances, it’s such a waste that you’re not utilising the maximum of the n950, otherwise I would just buy a lower model Samsung soundbar with rears since you’re only going to use the TV apps and DD 5.1.

Mattel1313

Novice Member
I wouldn’t be against a lower model (ms650 for example), but need wireless rears. Are there any sound bar/ wireless rear combos that you would recommend?

Thanks for your help

NikG

I wouldn’t be against a lower model (ms650 for example), but need wireless rears. Are there any sound bar/ wireless rear combos that you would recommend?

Thanks for your help

I used to have the ms650 (£300) and it’s a really good soundbar, you can buy the seperate sub (swa w700/£600) and rears speakers (swa 9000s/£180) as well for a 5.1 setup. Problem is altogether the price will be close to the n950 which is 7.1.4 so you might as well get that anyway unless you can find the ms650 with sub and rears cheap.

migzy

Standard Member
i was wondering the same, but i'm playing 4k atmos movies via plex from my nas. my q9fn is connected via the onebox as that's the only option. then i have the samsung 850 soundbar connected to the onebox via arc HDMI. plex seems to show the sound playing direct without conversion to the soundbar as 7.1. however i haven't set the eq's up yet and i also haven't got the ideal room shape. it does however sound good. but was expecting something more special. maybe it's just because i haven't set it up to the perfect settings yet.

chopples

Distinguished Member
i was wondering the same, but i'm playing 4k atmos movies via plex from my nas. my q9fn is connected via the onebox as that's the only option. then i have the samsung 850 soundbar connected to the onebox via arc HDMI. plex seems to show the sound playing direct without conversion to the soundbar as 7.1. however i haven't set the eq's up yet and i also haven't got the ideal room shape. it does however sound good. but was expecting something more special. maybe it's just because i haven't set it up to the perfect settings yet.

Plex on the TV cannot pass atmos from 4k rips due to it a) being lossless and b) In a True HD container

Are you sure it's not just showing direct play for the video or does the rip have additional soundtracks (which include DD) and its not just defaulting to one of them?

cheers

chopples

Distinguished Member
it definitely says direct play 7.1, my NAS isn't transcoding anything

Would be interesting to see your plex dashboard mate, like this:-

Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 10.30.05.png

alternatively press home on the TV and go to quick settings, if you can select the sound modes (surround,standard,smart) then your TV is not passing atmos, When atmos is playing correctly this option is greyed out and disabled

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett