Soundbar for Samsung D8000

pcpaul

Standard Member
Reaction score
We're not big TV buffs but my wife is a little hard of hearing which means we have the TV volume up around 30 when watching movies and it vibrates a bit. I've been thinking for a while about adding some kind of speaker system but because our floor is wood running cables for surround sound isn't really feasable.

I just came across this and wondered if anyone could offer any advise please.

Versus Resonance SoundBar Sub (Wireless) Electronics | Zavvi.com

Had a similar issue to yours. I went for a more conventional 2.1 multimedia/PC type speaker and it worked great.

The system you mention may be OK but there are a few things that make me suspicious so I would avoid it unless you can get to hear it before purchase.

One point: You don't just need extra volume - you need clarity. A good, conventional 2.0 or 2.1 system would work nicely. Google some reviews and see which ones would suit. Just about anything by Microlab gets good reviews but there are plenty of others to choose from. Big names are Logitech and Creative (although not all of their products are great!). A 2.0 system would probably be a better bet than 2.1 at a given price point simply because the manufacturer's budget hasn't been so stretched. Happy hunting!

Every PC/multi-media speaker (i.e. cheap speakers with in-built amplifiers)I'm aware of will connect directly to your TV via the TV's headphone socket. A mains connection is the only other connection these PC/multi-media speakers will require.

Many folk (myself included) think that TV headphone outlet sockets don't give the very best audio quality but seeing as you're not planning to connect particularly revealing (and usually expensive) speakers, I think the audio quality will be fine.

To achieve a small improvement in audio quality, use the TV's digital optical output and feed it into a suitable cheap Digital-to-Analogue Converter (DAC) then into the speakers. Disadvantages: Can't control volume with the TV remote (would need to use speaker's volume control) and it seems some folk have lip synch problems that prove difficult to correct - may or may not be an issue with your TV.

One point though...

We're not big TV buffs

Yet you have a TV that retails for well over a grand (or have I got the wrong model)?

Perhaps if you're also 'not big audio buffs', you may want to increase your budget for better speakers? I'm not being flippant (well, alright maybe just a bit) but if you spend more like £150 - £200 rather than under £100, gains in sound quality would be quite significant - even using the TV's headphone outlet to feed the speakers.

Just to give an idea, these are the sort of products I'd be looking at, although I'm not recommending specific models to you:

Active Monitors — sorted by price | DV247

Even though some don't accept input via a small headphone plug, they can still be connected with an adaptor cable which is cheap and readily available.

The products under about £150 are what I'd describe as mid to top end PC speakers (although it's possible to pay way more). The more expensive stuff (>£150ish) tends to be marketed at home music production although they make excellent TV/music speakers in most cases - I use such a pair.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom