Quantcast

Question Soundbar for PC (connected to TV)

Hyper32

Novice Member
Can anyone recommend a great soundbar for PC use. I use an unbranded 4K 39" Television, as a PC monitor. I have three PCs connected to this TV via HDMI.

Connections: 3.5mm jack and Coaxial out. (it does not have HDMI Arc or Optical). Although, my main PC does have Optical out.

Requirements
I want a clean work space, so I really don't want to go back to the clutter of a 7.1 speaker system, with lots of wires. I don't want a wireless system due to concerns about health / radiation.

I want great sound for voice, sound and music. I watching TV on my PC, as well as watching YouTube and Netflix. I love listening to music everything from classical, to pop, but not heavy metal. I also watch movies. I like the idea of Dolby surround sound (or whatever is the equivalent).

If it has a volume control, Mic in (for Skype) and headphone jack (for late night viewing).. all these would be bonuses.

The problem with reviews is that everyone perception of great sound varies. When I bought headphones, I read the reviews, but did n't agree with them. I love the sound from Skull Candy headphones. So what is the Soundbar equivalent of Skull Candy sound?. I did n't like the sound from Sony or Beats, Sennheiser headphones etc...

I don't need heavy bass or movie thrill but I like crisp clear sound where I can hear the instruments, vocals, some 3D sound effect is great too.

Don't want to spend too much money, but neither do I want to regret my purchase.

I will be sitting in front of my PC, so I only need for close range.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'I will be sitting in front of my PC, so I only need for close range' - I doubt any Soundbar is designed for 'near field' listening.

Better to look at a decent desktop Stereo system with the ability to 'aim' the speakers at your ears - like Soundbar's there are 101 options you could consider.

'Don't want to spend too much money, but neither do I want to regret my purchase' - how much is too much?

Joe

Hyper32

Novice Member
You make a valid point about pointing speakers at my ears. I wanted a clean and tidy workspace. I will sacrifice some.

I guess my concern is finding a soundbar, where I like the sound. When choosing headphones, I went with Hesh 2.0 Skull Candy headphones which cost me £40. They were better then the more expensive ones, and some even had won awards. I haev no idea why Apple bought by Beats by Dre, because I don't like the sound out of those headphones.

I don't want a soundbar, where voice dialogue sounds like Barry White. Nor do I want something which sound it came out of a tin can.

There are n't many showrooms to try out. So I am relying on this forum to help me make a match.

My budget would be £100 to £200. I don't mind second hand. I don't mind spending more, but I can't justify unless I have a side by side comparison....and I have heard it live.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Soundbar - are not designed for near field listening, look at suitable stereo speaker set up. A pic of your desktop would be helpful to see what you are working with.

Joe

Last edited:
Top Bottom