Soundbar for multiple digital boxes

DavidF1940

Novice Member
I have an LG55LN740 TV, probably 5 years old, and one of the three HDMI inputs is ARC enabled. It also has optical cable socket, Sound quality is not too bad but, as we age, my wife and I find speech is often a little indistinct and/or drowned by background music. I am considering getting a soundbar to overcome this, rather than to achieve wonderful surround sound effects. We have two digital boxes (Humax Freeview and SkyQ).

I was considering purchasing an LG SN5Y soundbar (a Which? Best Buy priced at around £300}. I understand that it is best to connect the digital boxes direct to the soundbar and then connect the bar to the TV via the HDMI (ARC) socket. I THINK the SN5Y has only one HDMI input socket, which would seem to preclude my connecting both boxes to it. I have a number of questions.
  • Would I lose much of the speech clarity I seek if I resort to leaving both boxes connected to the TV and connecting the soundbar to TV via the optical cable?
  • Would it be better to get a multi-HDMI input soundbar and, if so, can you recommend one, preferably by LG.
  • I recently read about problems of syncing sound to vision when using soundbars in association with digital boxes. Can you tell me more about this please?
Your help to someone who, as you will have realised, is a complete newby to soundbars, will be much appreciated. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom