• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Soundbar for LG B7?

jegan111

Hi guys, another “what soundbar” thread here!

I’ve been looking for a soundbar to go with my LG B7 (55in) and having been doing a fair bit of research (reading thread after thread…) for the last couple of months, I cant but help think it’s a minefield.

My budget is very modest, ideally about £250-£300 but could be pushed a bit.

My living room is small, about 3m by 4.5 (TV is on short wall, and sit mostly on the opposite wall)

I want to be able to watch TV, play Xbox/Playstation and listen to Spotify through the bar. The main issue is just to increase the sound as the TV speakers are simply rubbish. The lack of HDMI inputs on most soundbars is pretty frustrating, especially given all the people saying they have problems with HDMI ARC.

Most of the soundbar threads I seem to read are filled with tales of woe. Many about lip sync issues and several are sound drops. Is it the soundbars? Or is it the LG TV's that are the issue here?

I had initially expected that an LG soundbar would be the obvious way to go and had my heart set on the SJ8. It looked nice, matched the TV I have and its specs were everything I needed, but that was eventually discounted after reading the many, many issues that folks have had with sound dropouts and LG’s apparent lack of interest in addressing the issue, leaving many owners frustrated and angry.

The trouble is, I want a sound bar to compliment my TV. It has to sit in front of it on the same level/unit and not obscure the screen so it has to have a low profile (less than 70mm ideally.) I would also like a separate sub (this is by no means an absolute requirement) but would need to be wireless.

Simply put, I want a soundbar that will improve the sound output of my TV (shouldn’t be hard!) but does not need to be earth shattering (and likely wont be at my price point anyway.) The TV cost me £1200 so I don’t want to be spending a massive amount again to solve the crappy audio from the TV itself. I.also don’t have to have surround sound/rears, but that would be a nice addition.

I am currently considered the LG SK5 which is about £250 but have not seen too many reviews so am unsure, and am still fearful given the issues around the SJ8.

The LG SK5R (the same bar, but one with rears) can also be had for £250, so the SK5R is a no brainer between them, and the addition of wireless rears would be nice, especially for movies and games.

I have looked at some Yamaha bars, but I do not like the aesthetics of them if I’m honest.

I’ve also toyed with the idea of stretching my budget considerably and going for the Sonos Beam, currently about £380. The Beam looks really nice and seems to do everything I need but the lack of an included sub makes me unsure. Would it fill the space in the manner I expect, especially during movies? Would it be loss to not have the sub as with the SK8/SK8R? The price of the optional Sonos sub is prohibitive.

So, any help at all would be appreciated, especially if you have any experience of those bars, or even if there is another decent and reasonably cheap bar I have not considered (of which there will likely be many!) or even if you think its a waste of time and I'll maybe have lip sync issues no mater what bar I choose.

Thanks in advance to anyone with the patience to keep with me to here!!

Last edited:

CD93

Obviously the aesthetic is subjective so if you've already ruled it out then fair do, but I have just grabbed a Yamaha YAS-207 (it was £229 at the time) after inititally looking at LG options and it is very tidy indeed.

There are lots of horror stories about the wireless sub at low volumes after it was released but AFAIK the problem was fixed by Yamaha, so unless you grab a used one it shoudn't be a problem - and as it is I really am a fan of the sub.

I do use it with ARC and so far haven't had problems with my C6, but it has an extra input for something else. May not be enough for you but it's there. Solid Bluetooth, too.

Last edited:
Buying a soundbar can be a minefield as you never know how they are going to behave, especially with ARC.

I too like you looked at the SJ8 due to also having a LG B7, as I liked the idea of the stand mount you get for them both. In the end after reading the reviews and the problems being experienced by others, I brought a LG SJ9, which has been fantastic.

The B7 passes through Atmos to the SJ9 via ARC and sounds great. DTS and normal Dolby also sounds excellent too.

If you look around you can pick up a 2nd hand one for £300.

jegan111

Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll have a look at the Yamaha again, sound quality is the most important thing after all!

The SJ9/SK9Y would ideally be my 1st choice but I just cant justify the price of a new one and I’m reluctant to go down the pre-owned road.
I really do appreciate the time you’ve both take to offer your help tho. Thanks :smashin:

Terry1970

Hi guys, another “what soundbar” thread here!

I’ve been looking for a soundbar to go with my LG B7 (55in) and having been doing a fair bit of research (reading thread after thread…) for the last couple of months, I cant but help think it’s a minefield.

My budget is very modest, ideally about £250-£300 but could be pushed a bit.

My living room is small, about 3m by 4.5 (TV is on short wall, and sit mostly on the opposite wall)

I want to be able to watch TV, play Xbox/Playstation and listen to Spotify through the bar. The main issue is just to increase the sound as the TV speakers are simply rubbish. The lack of HDMI inputs on most soundbars is pretty frustrating, especially given all the people saying they have problems with HDMI ARC.

Most of the soundbar threads I seem to read are filled with tales of woe. Many about lip sync issues and several are sound drops. Is it the soundbars? Or is it the LG TV's that are the issue here?

I had initially expected that an LG soundbar would be the obvious way to go and had my heart set on the SJ8. It looked nice, matched the TV I have and its specs were everything I needed, but that was eventually discounted after reading the many, many issues that folks have had with sound dropouts and LG’s apparent lack of interest in addressing the issue, leaving many owners frustrated and angry.

The trouble is, I want a sound bar to compliment my TV. It has to sit in front of it on the same level/unit and not obscure the screen so it has to have a low profile (less than 70mm ideally.) I would also like a separate sub (this is by no means an absolute requirement) but would need to be wireless.

Simply put, I want a soundbar that will improve the sound output of my TV (shouldn’t be hard!) but does not need to be earth shattering (and likely wont be at my price point anyway.) The TV cost me £1200 so I don’t want to be spending a massive amount again to solve the crappy audio from the TV itself. I.also don’t have to have surround sound/rears, but that would be a nice addition.

I am currently considered the LG SK5 which is about £250 but have not seen too many reviews so am unsure, and am still fearful given the issues around the SJ8.

The LG SK5R (the same bar, but one with rears) can also be had for £250, so the SK5R is a no brainer between them, and the addition of wireless rears would be nice, especially for movies and games.

I have looked at some Yamaha bars, but I do not like the aesthetics of them if I’m honest.

I’ve also toyed with the idea of stretching my budget considerably and going for the Sonos Beam, currently about £380. The Beam looks really nice and seems to do everything I need but the lack of an included sub makes me unsure. Would it fill the space in the manner I expect, especially during movies? Would it be loss to not have the sub as with the SK8/SK8R? The price of the optional Sonos sub is prohibitive.

So, any help at all would be appreciated, especially if you have any experience of those bars, or even if there is another decent and reasonably cheap bar I have not considered (of which there will likely be many!) or even if you think its a waste of time and I'll maybe have lip sync issues no mater what bar I choose.

Thanks in advance to anyone with the patience to keep with me to here!!
I have the LG B7 (55in) tv too and I’ve paired it with the Samsung HWMS650 soundbar.The sound is incredible you don’t need a separate sub woofer although you can add one if you want to .Id recommend the samsung HWMS650 especially if you just want a simple but effective way to upgrade the sound on your tv .currys are doing it for £350 at the moment
SAMSUNG Sound+ HW-MS650 3.0 All-in-One Sound Bar

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll have a look at the Yamaha again, sound quality is the most important thing after all!

The SJ9/SK9Y would ideally be my 1st choice but I just cant justify the price of a new one and I’m reluctant to go down the pre-owned road.
I really do appreciate the time you’ve both take to offer your help tho. Thanks :smashin:

I have exact same setup with B7, I settled on an LG SK6 with just PCM 2.0 (no Dolby/DTS), use ARC for everything and have no issues, audio is clear as is dialogue using the standard preset on the soundbar with ASC (adaptive sound control) enabled. All other audio features disabled.

If you want to run devices through a soundbar HDMI pass-through I believe Sony are the 'cheapest' in that area circa £300 you will get ones with 3 HDMI 4k ports and PCM 5.1/7.1 decoding.

However be aware that with LG TV's Sony bars with ARC/CEC active will automatically bring up the Sony home screen every time you switch to the HDMI input it's used on whether you want it not.

jegan111

Thanks for the input guys. After much deliberation, I have plumped for the LG SK5R. I’m still not convinced I’ve made the correct decision lol, but obviously that wont be evident until it arrives and I’ve tried it out I suppose. But I had to chose something, and was eager to get something soon and at a reasonable price.
The main reasons were, its LG, so it should compliment my TV fairly weel, it was only £219 and the additional rear speakers just helped to edge the decision, mainly out of curiosity more than anything.
I will report back to let you guys know how I’ve found it (and will also be chiming in to the SK5R thread as well)
Fingers crossed it lives up to my hopes (which to be fair are not stratospheric)
Thanks again for your help!

jegan111

So, finally managed to set up the bar today. Havnt managed to set up the wireless rears yet, will probably do that tomorrow. So far however, the bar and sub are performing admirably. Plenty volume and plenty base which is basically exactly what I was looking for and needing. It was easy to set up and easy to connect to my Echo Dot so able to play spotify through it that way, or via Bluetooth direct from the phone so all good. About to try it out with the PS3 (gona play Rock Band with the kids) so hoping will be decent during that too!

jegan111

To be 100% honest, the whole experience is underwhelming. I wouldnt buy it if I knew what I know now.
It has a few quirks that are really annoying, like trying to get it back on to arc after something has been hooked up is occasionally almost impossible. And at other times its a doddle. The bar itself is hardly an upgrade over the in TV sound. Without the sub, it’s incredibly tinny. And the sub isnt too spectacular either.
The rears are hooked up but I’ve not watched anything with any surround yet.

BM08

Not sure what’s going there mate, I’ve got an LG sound bar (300w)and wireless sub hooked up to our LG tv and it’s a way better experience than the tv speakers. I suppose your LG tv is newer than mine so perhaps your inbuilt speakers are more powerful than mine? Either way you should notice a huge difference between the two.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom