Question Soundbar for LG 65C9

majkom

So finally bought myself new tv - Lg oled 65c9 and now would like to choose soundbar to up sound a bit...

usage: only internal apps - often dolby vision and atmos videos (netflix, apple tv app, youtube) and ps4/ps5

i assume that sonos src would be best fit - good sound quality, atmos, earc, app for tuning sound and airplay2 as a bonus (can use as music plaer)... but is there any other/cheaper optiom?

what about sonos beam - no earc so maybe lipsync issues? No atmos support (what sound will I get out of beam for atmos movies?) less clear dialogues... but is arc twi times better than beam?

what about lg sl10y (+spk8) - quite cheaper than arc, but no earc - againd possible issues? Got no idea about sound quality, no airplay...

some of those basic samsung earc soundbars? Any idea is welcome...

menz83

Just a heads up that internal apps will not passthrough lossless audio like TrueHD with atmos or DTS-HD/X which I found out the hard way just incase you will be streaming over the plex app or the likes. In that respect, earc is redundant and a soundbar with arc would be sufficient. If you planned on using an external media player like the Nvidia Shield, then you would get the benefit of earc if it's connected to the TV.

I know this doesn't answer your question but thought it would be worthwhile letting you know. I planned on using internal apps only connected to my soundbar only to find out the above and then having to buy a shield!

Aryn86

So finally bought myself new tv - Lg oled 65c9 and now would like to choose soundbar to up sound a bit...

usage: only internal apps - often dolby vision and atmos videos (netflix, apple tv app, youtube) and ps4/ps5

i assume that sonos src would be best fit - good sound quality, atmos, earc, app for tuning sound and airplay2 as a bonus (can use as music plaer)... but is there any other/cheaper optiom?

what about sonos beam - no earc so maybe lipsync issues? No atmos support (what sound will I get out of beam for atmos movies?) less clear dialogues... but is arc twi times better than beam?

what about lg sl10y (+spk8) - quite cheaper than arc, but no earc - againd possible issues? Got no idea about sound quality, no airplay...

I've had a 65" C9 since about November time and I'm about to order the JBL Bar 9.1 to replace my current Samsung HW-K850 soundbar which I've had for about close to 4 years.

The Bar 9.1 had true wireless detachable rear speakers, atmos/dts:x support and eARC. Is goin to fit the bill perfect for me.

majkom

Thx but i will definitely use only internal apps mentioned above... got sick of all external boxes so I am glad i can use apple tv app and sold apple tv:)

menz83

Thx but i will definitely use only internal apps mentioned above... got sick of all external boxes so I am glad i can use apple tv app and sold apple tv:)
Well you will be spoiled for choice as long as you fully understand you will never get lossless atmos or DTS-X even if the soundbar supports it.

If it helps, the Sennheiser Ambeo is absolutely incredible paired to my C9 and despite the shortcomings of soundbars, I do not miss my dedicated system in the slightest!

majkom

Thx for tip but thats too expwnsive, not gonna pay more for soundbar than what i paid for tv:)

sonos arc price is maximum i am willing to pay but would gladly pay less if any cheaper option makes sense (plus arc is unavailable here in czechia and wont be available for some time)

majkom

so i just narrowed it to sonos - arc or beam... got to think more about whether arc is so much better and worth paying double price or not...

menz83

Have a think about your needs for now and in the future? If you just want better sound from your TV then you can save money and go for the beam. If you want atmos or may add devices in the future to take advantage of earc then spend the extra and get the arc. Either way, it will be a significant improvement over the built in speakers on the C9

majkom

Hm, will throw jbl bar 9.1 into the mix.. om paper it looks great, any reason why not buying that instead of arc? (Jbl bar 9.1 will cost me same as sonos arc withiut wallmount and without rears)...

majkom

ok, will buy sonos, probably arc... maybe i will test beam (will order from sonos) till arc is widely available here in czechia...

majkom

been rethinking it again.. and still undecides.. if i do not keep airplay as a must, i Can get sasmung qr90 for price of arc, i can get sony z9F for much less than arc... i cant decide:D all i know, earc is a must...

famous360

Hi i have the c9 and its possible to play loseless audio trough the internal apps using earc

i have the samsung hw-q90r soundbar and its incredible. i tested multiple 7.1 Dolby True HD, Dolby Atmos, DTS X Demo via the internal media player app. i think you can also download an alternative (MX Player / VLC Player or something like that).

so all works fine. if i were you buy a soundbar with earc. So you can connect all devices to the TV and you dont have to worry to get the best sound / picture quality.

This is important: you wont get losless audio from netflix, but this is a general netflix issue because the use only Dolby Digital lossy Atmos sounds, so dont worry about that. This is the same for Android TV, IOs etc..

keithwiggins

If your focus is on sound quality suggest Beosound Stage. Built like a tank, hugely powerful ,dynamic and oodles of Bass.

majkom

can anyone tell me, whether to buy samsung q70r or q800t? they seems to be quite similar... second one should be successor to the first one

BeefS2

can anyone tell me, whether to buy samsung q70r or q800t? they seems to be quite similar... second one should be successor to the first one
That’s correct, the q800t replaces the q70r. I think they’re pretty similar. The subs are about the same size, and they both have eARC. The q800t has q-symphony, but that’s only important if you have a Samsung tv. If you still find the q70r at a discounted price, that might be the way to go

majkom

That’s correct, the q800t replaces the q70r. I think they’re pretty similar. The subs are about the same size, and they both have eARC. The q800t has q-symphony, but that’s only important if you have a Samsung tv. If you still find the q70r at a discounted price, that might be the way to go
i can get them both for almosta same price...

Khans

God, no chance i will choose any soundbar...
I was in the same boat there is an offer on JBL 9.1 which I bought arriving today for the price I know I can use and if I don't like will sell with out losing any money

majkom

So many options... if earc is a must, i am deciding between:
Samsung q800t (price is really great), sony zf9, sonos arc (without sub), jbl 9.1... (sorted from cheapest to the most expensive)

Khans

The jbl for me worked out 679 from curry's including next day delivery

majkom

So i missed q800t sales... still undecided, maybe i should get q70r for good price and call it a day... which ine is bezter, q70r or sony zf9?

BeefS2

Q70r or q800t (for 25% more)? Or q900t (for 60% more)?????
How big is your room? I’d go with either the q900t or q70r. Leaning more towards the q900t. I haven’t seen many user reviews, but the sound quality of the q900t is most likely a big step from these two bars

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett