Soundbar dilemma

Atomicus

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm coming from a complete novice position here, not having much experience with soundbars or even speaker set-ups really, but my current situation and plans are taking me very much down the soundbar route.

I am planning on using a converted garage space for a small home cinema set-up, with a 120" screen, and while I want to utilise the space as best I can, due to being unsure how much longer I will be living here, I do not want to go the whole hog of spending thousands kitting it out with in-wall speakers, full room-within-a-room sound proofing etc. as I strongly suspect this could just end up being a giant waste of money. The room is also not exactly optimal for a full on conversion either, given lack of hvac options and other factors.

Soundbars do seem to be getting better and better, based on reviews I've seen, but am unsure what would be the best way to go for my set-up. I would be OK spending up to about £1K if it was justified, but am not sure if that's really necessary. I may be more than happy with something half that price.

Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated. :)

If you want the closest thing to a full traditional setup then this is what I would suggest

Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar Review

Will give you rear wireless rear channels (something the vast majority of soundbars don't do) also has multiple upfiring speakers so it can do both Dolby Atmos and DTX:X and when it's time to move everything will unplug and pack away easily.

If you want the closest thing to a full traditional setup then this is what I would suggest

Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar Review

Will give you rear wireless rear channels (something the vast majority of soundbars don't do) also has multiple upfiring speakers so it can do both Dolby Atmos and DTX:X and when it's time to move everything will unplug and pack away easily.

Thanks, that seems like it will certainly deliver what I need!

If using a projector with this, would I simply run an HDMI from the projector to the soundbar, and I can then connect any other devices (UHD player, console, PC etc.) via the soundbar?

I have the Sony NT3 which is an amazing piece of kit! I think they’ve got an NT5 now which I’m sure is even better

Thanks, that seems like it will certainly deliver what I need!

If using a projector with this, would I simply run an HDMI from the projector to the soundbar, and I can then connect any other devices (UHD player, console, PC etc.) via the soundbar?

Yes I would assume so, I have an older model which connets to my TV via the ARC HDMI and then my xbox, and other devices are all conncted to the soundbar and everything works that way.

Yes I would assume so, I have an older model which connets to my TV via the ARC HDMI and then my xbox, and other devices are all conncted to the soundbar and everything works that way.
I have too. Shame Samsung are not doing any meaningful updates for it like adding any kind of decent DTS decoding.

But I can attest that, for what it is, it's very good with Atmos. With a converted garage, I'm assuming it has a nice flat low roof, so it's the perfect environment for it.

I have too. Shame Samsung are not doing any meaningful updates for it like adding any kind of decent DTS decoding.

But I can attest that, for what it is, it's very good with Atmos. With a converted garage, I'm assuming it has a nice flat low roof, so it's the perfect environment for it.

Yes, basically a rectangle, approx 2.6m x 4.6m, ceiling height approx 2.3m. I had been toying with the idea of a full on room within a room, in-wall speakers etc. but the cost implications and long term view that I may not be here in a year or so made me realise that just wasn't worth it. Plus with the amount of the space I'd lose going that route, I'd have struggled to even get a 100" screen in. As it is, I can easily fit a 120". I'd love to go that full on HT route at some point in the future, but I will wait until I have the optimal space to do it justice... not to mention budget lol!

Think the newer models take care of the lack of DTS:X but you're right it is a shame the older K models didn't add it in, although to be fair to Samsung they did add in DTS HD audio after initially not supporting it.

My main regret is getting K850 not the 950, my TV room is too small for rear speakers but I still regret the fact I could have got the 950 and then just pulled out the rears when I wanted to use them for a movie night.

I’m not sure an Atmos bar is the right choice is his intention is to plug it straight into the projector. If not Atmos, the N950 is a huge waste of money. Further, it’s now discontinued so stock will become scarce quite quickly.

What are you planning to source your content from, and what are you going to be watching?

I’m not sure an Atmos bar is the right choice is his intention is to plug it straight into the projector. If not Atmos, the N950 is a huge waste of money. Further, it’s now discontinued so stock will become scarce quite quickly.

What are you planning to source your content from, and what are you going to be watching?

Why would that not be a good choice if going straight in to projector? Content will be varied, UHD discs, Netflix etc.

Is there a particular reason the N950 has been discontinued? It seems to have been largely praised in all reviews I've come across.

Why would that not be a good choice if going straight in to projector? Content will be varied, UHD discs, Netflix etc.

Is there a particular reason the N950 has been discontinued? It seems to have been largely praised in all reviews I've come across.
End of line for model year.... John Lewis, Peter Tyson and curry’s confirmed that they are not expecting more stock, John Lewis don’t even sell it anymore.

It’s a great soundbar, but what is the source device you’re getting the content from? (Xbox One S etc)

I’m not saying that it won’t be a killer soundbar, but you’ll get no benefit from the upfiring aspect of the bar if there’s no Atmos content.

just putting it out there, if you have a dedicated space, i'd reconsider your options.

yes soundbars are getting better but the reality is they cannot touch a dedicated system. you do not have to spend thousands to get a decent sound. 5 minutes on richer sounds and i put this together.

2 of these
DALI ZENSOR PICO (White)

1 of these
DALI ZENSOR PICO VOKAL (Black)

Denon AVRX550BT (Black)

they are very small and do not take up any space.

Thats £545 and im sure youll get a bit of discount as a bulk buy. that leaves a sub and would go for this

BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Powered Subwoofer. Black 5060403220189 | eBay

Total - £840

thats cheaper than the n950 by some margin.

not trying to put you off a soundbar or to tell you to buy what i listed but the reality is any soundbar is a compromise and your space is quite large.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Layout - do you have a favoured seating plan?

Screen - the size ought to be best suited to your seating distance and layout.

Audio - I would be considering a 2.1 system, with the potential to use the Front LR and Sub in your next room too!

Screen - are you going AT?

Joe

Layout - do you have a favoured seating plan?

Screen - the size ought to be best suited to your seating distance and layout.

Audio - I would be considering a 2.1 system, with the potential to use the Front LR and Sub in your next room too!

Screen - are you going AT?

Joe

No it's not a dedicated HT as the room is not optimal for that and I will not have adequate sound proofing/insulation. There is no point spending money on something that there is a chance will be ripped out in a year, or have to remain (as would be the case with the actual room construction of course). I know a soundbar can be used anywhere, and see the point that a 2.1 system probably could as well. I don't know what my situation will be a year or two from now, so I have to keep a view on the possibility that I will still have limitations. Come the day when I am able to dedicate the worthy budget to a proper space, I will do so.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom