Soundbar Connectivity

jon2412

Novice Member
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can please help with a connectivity setup question for a new soundbar (not yet purchased).

My parents would like to buy a new soundbar for their TV. The TV is about 12 years old, so has 3 HDMI ports, but none support ARC. There is a digital optical (Toslink) port, so I think this is the way to go.

They use a Humax DTV receiver to watch and record TV, and a DVD player, both of which are currently connected to the TV via HDMI cables. I want to plug the soundbar in, so that all 3 devices (Humax + DVD + TV) route their audio through the soundbar via digital optical.

Is it as simple as hooking up a digital optical cable between the new soundbar and the TV, and all audio from the TV/Humax/DVD will all automatically be passed through (forwarded) to the soundbar (once I've setup the TV to send audio via digital optical)? Or will I need additional cables or rethinking of the setup?

Thanks in advance,
Jon.

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can please help with a connectivity setup question for a new soundbar (not yet purchased).

My parents would like to buy a new soundbar for their TV. The TV is about 12 years old, so has 3 HDMI ports, but none support ARC. There is a digital optical (Toslink) port, so I think this is the way to go.

They use a Humax DTV receiver to watch and record TV, and a DVD player, both of which are currently connected to the TV via HDMI cables. I want to plug the soundbar in, so that all 3 devices (Humax + DVD + TV) route their audio through the soundbar via digital optical.

Is it as simple as hooking up a digital optical cable between the new soundbar and the TV, and all audio from the TV/Humax/DVD will all automatically be passed through (forwarded) to the soundbar (once I've setup the TV to send audio via digital optical)? Or will I need additional cables or rethinking of the setup?

Thanks in advance,
Jon.
Hi,
As one novice to another, yes you are correct, no need for anything else. In fact I have always run my "sources" to the TV and then optical to the surround sound (non AV reveiver, very old Sony 5.1 STR-KS1100) remembering to set the TV sound to "Optical".
I also look after in-laws IT/Tech requirements. It is how I learn much,

RS

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom