Soundbar ARC problem with Virgin 360 box

Rasher77

Novice Member
Hi all, my setup is as follows:

65” QN95A Neo QLED 4K HDR Smart TV (2021)​

Samsung Sound+ HW-MS650 Wireless Smart Soundbar​

Virgin TV 360

They are all connected using HDMI High Speed Certified HDMI leads from Soundbar - TV - 360 Box. When I use the virgin remote it turns on all 3 devices as expected but I get the no signal message on the samsung TV ? TV works fine with soundbar when Virgin 360 box is not in the loop but we pay for Virgin TV and need it in the loop. I've had problems like this beforre with the soundbar and was hoping someone would have an idea whats happening ? Also how do i check for firmware on this model soundbar ? Thanks in advance

Regards
Rasher

outoftheknow

Hi all, my setup is as follows:

65” QN95A Neo QLED 4K HDR Smart TV (2021)​

Samsung Sound+ HW-MS650 Wireless Smart Soundbar​

Virgin TV 360

They are all connected using HDMI High Speed Certified HDMI leads from Soundbar - TV - 360 Box. When I use the virgin remote it turns on all 3 devices as expected but I get the no signal message on the samsung TV ? TV works fine with soundbar when Virgin 360 box is not in the loop but we pay for Virgin TV and need it in the loop. I've had problems like this beforre with the soundbar and was hoping someone would have an idea whats happening ? Also how do i check for firmware on this model soundbar ? Thanks in advance

Regards
Rasher
Sounds like the auto sourced switching isn't working as you would think it should. Is the TV input correct for the Virgin box? Can you change the input with the TV remote and get a picture? If so that is pretty much how it is unfortunately.

Rasher77

Novice Member
Sounds like the auto sourced switching isn't working as you would think it should. Is the TV input correct for the Virgin box? Can you change the input with the TV remote and get a picture? If so that is pretty much how it is unfortunately.
Hi thanks for your reply
Its mind boggling to be honest. I have the 2 hdmi's connected out of the back of the soundbar going to the TV one connect box and the Virgin 360 box. It has worked last week when I initially got the new TV but only thing I did was setup universal remote and it seemed to happen after that. I wanted to use the virgin remote to control evrything which it does in a way because virgin remote will switch all 3 devices on and off but the 360 box can't somehow switch signal through to the one connect tv box ( Via the soundbar ) ? If I take the soundbar out of the equation then the TV and Virgin work fine.

outoftheknow

but only thing I did was setup universal remote and it seemed to happen after that
Yep - Home theatre/A/V receivers have done that to me - as I said that is what has driven me to turn off ARC and CEC on all devices.

In your setup you only need ARC for the TV audio (and audio passthrough from something plugged into the TV). If you are using things plugged straight into the soundbar (?) the TV audio from broadcast channels isn't any better than optical can handle. In fact that soundbar is 2.1 and you can add rears I think for 5.1 at best. Optical will handle that just fine. Switch off all CEC and ARC and use optical for that TV audio connection between soundbar and TV (if the universal remote does the on and off and source changes).

If you want CEC to do the source and power switching and it doesn't do better than you describe, I don't think you can do any better. Is it just the one source switch at the TV that doesn't work?

Rasher77

Novice Member
Yep - Home theatre/A/V receivers have done that to me - as I said that is what has driven me to turn off ARC and CEC on all devices.

In your setup you only need ARC for the TV audio (and audio passthrough from something plugged into the TV). If you are using things plugged straight into the soundbar (?) the TV audio from broadcast channels isn't any better than optical can handle. In fact that soundbar is 2.1 and you can add rears I think for 5.1 at best. Optical will handle that just fine. Switch off all CEC and ARC and use optical for that TV audio connection between soundbar and TV (if the universal remote does the on and off and source changes).

If you want CEC to do the source and power switching and it doesn't do better than you describe, I don't think you can do any better. Is it just the one source switch at the TV that doesn't work?
Thanks again :)

Basically I've been fiddling with it for past hour and I thought I'd try removing HDMI ARC and HDMI OUT Cables from the back of the soundbar and replacing them with the original Hi speed cables ( I had purchased ultra high speed 8k ones ) The old ones made the difference or so I thought lol ! I had it working perfectly with the old ones which were hi speed certified etc, then I took out 1 cable at a time and replaced with the new ones again , lo and behold the setup now works with the new 8k cables ??? I don't understand it. Back to square one ( when it worked ) But I do not know how lol ? Cheers

Rasher

outoftheknow

But I do not know how lol ? Cheers
Probably the other lottery of HDMI - the HDMI handshake. The cable type will make no difference in terms of CEC which has been supported by every cable for a long time whether it is claimed on the packet/cable or not, nor with ARC capabilities in the cables matter unless one cable has no ethernet wire connected internally.

Even if all cables have ethernet the handshake can go awry and one decide can decide something isn’t there.

Either way it is working now - enjoy abs don’t touch it unless it stops working again :thumbsup: :rotfl:

Rasher77

Novice Member
Probably the other lottery of HDMI - the HDMI handshake. The cable type will make no difference in terms of CEC which has been supported by every cable for a long time whether it is claimed on the packet/cable or not, nor with ARC capabilities in the cables matter unless one cable has no ethernet wire connected internally.

Even if all cables have ethernet the handshake can go awry and one decide can decide something isn’t there.

Either way it is working now - enjoy abs don’t touch it unless it stops working again :thumbsup: :rotfl:
Thank you I won't lol Although I've got the samsung wireless speaker to set up yet lol

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom