Soundbar advice based on media room config

Burgos

Novice Member
Hi all. So, we are moving into a new rented apartment and just got a 65C1 for the living room. I need some advice about what to pair with the tv, audio wise. The media room layout is as depicted below. I've already been through the real 5.1 system acquisition but the missus has convinced me to compromise because aesthetics. So, I am leaning towards a soundbar now.

The only soundbar we've been able to "test" yet was an ambeo, we loved it, but it was in a truly home theatre perfect dedicated room, in an hi-fi store. It was the only soundbar they had in stock. Our room might not play that great, thus my question. On the pictures, the sofa is way more forward than where it'll be. With this wood fin wall, the opening on the left with the shelving, as well as the windows on the right, will this kind of layout be able to reflect the sound the sorround drivers produce?
Are any of the others standalone soundbars on the same level or close to the ambeo? I can get the q800a brand new for 400eur. And I could get the ambeo with a sub for about 2k. That's a huge price gap.

The room measures are on the floor plan image (from when considering a 5.1 setup) and room height is 2.60m (8'6ft). From the TV back wall to the back of the sofa will be about 3m (9'10ft) give or take. It is mainly for movies, series and docs, with streaming apps as the main sources. We only listen to music when hosting a dinner party or so, so, let's say 100% movies wise.
Although the Ambeo is bulky and really expensive, is it worth it? Am I thinking straight? Thanks in advance.

113384721-project-2-first-floor-1a-20211212-502cdc.jpg
20211219-134335.jpg
20211219-134308.jpg
20211219-134349.jpg
20211219-134323.jpg

keithwiggins

Have a look at the beosound stage the Ambeo isnt the most reliable bar out there, also if you want to add extras such as rears subs etc check out bluesound, i own both and they are excellent.

Burgos

Novice Member
Can you compare the stage with an Ambeo? Have you listened to an Ambeo? Some reviewers prefer ambeo over the stage... Haven't heard the stage yet.
Adding surround speakers detracts from the intention of not having wires and more stuff around the living room...

keithwiggins

Can you compare the stage with an Ambeo? Have you listened to an Ambeo? Some reviewers prefer ambeo over the stage... Haven't heard the stage yet.
Adding surround speakers detracts from the intention of not having wires and more stuff around the living room...
suggest you listen to a stage and make up your own mind.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I’d forget about Surround sound with your room/room layout.

A 2.0 or 2.1 is far more realistic or aim for something which offers 2.1.2 If you want Immersive audio.

You can partner a Stereo Amp with digital Input (HDMI or Optical) with a Speakerbar - looks like a Soundbar but lacks any onboard amplification or processing.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom