Sound

I want to insert a picture of the back of my sound system for help. The pic is on my pc and not on the net. Can anyone give me some instructions on how to do this? I know there is an 'insert image' bit on this page but I can't work it.
Thanks.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Go to an image hosting site, such as http://www.imageshack.us/ and upload your image. You will then get a direct link to the image (usually the bottom link on the page) which you can then insert on a post using the 'Insert image' icon (the little yellow icon, to the left of the hyperlink icon).

This is the back of my 5.1 surround sound system. When I had my ps2, it was connected to my sky+ box via scart. My sky+ box was then connected to the surround sound system via the two wires in the TV in bit. Because of this my sky worked through the system when it was on, and when it was off my PS2 worked through this sound system too. I'm assuming this is because it went PS2 - sky+ (via scart) and then sky+ to sound system (via two wires) and the sound is travelling through the whole system.

My question is this. I still want to use Sky+ with my surround sound system so I don't really want to remove those two wires, but I also want my xbox 360 to use it too. I have a HDTV so the video will go straight into that. However I do not use the TV's sound so will I be able to plug any of the wires into the sound system (mabe into the VCR in/AUX ports)? If not, will I be able to do what I did with my PS2 and plug the 360 sound cables into my sky+ box somehow? I'd rather not do this as it means I cannot use sky and xbox at the same time.

Pooon

New amp needed. that panasonic AIO just isn't gonna cut it i'm afraid. you'r not going to get :dolby: from either the 360 or sky+ so having a really good HD pic and poor analogue sound seems pointless to me

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
If your HDTV has stereo RCA outputs (red and whites), they will plug into your VCR IN no worries. Will only provide you with stereo sound though, to get 5.1 you need a new amp. Xbox and the 360 don't support Dolby Pro Logic AFAIK.

Pooon

Lorenzini said:
Xbox and the 360 don't support Dolby Pro Logic AFAIK.
You can 'force' a pro-logic signal out of any stereo signal so you'd still get a surrond sound of sorts but it's fairly naff. eg on forza using incar cam all you get is engine noice from the centre and the occasional sound from the rears, not much else happens. the difference between 5.1 and pro logic(even the fancy Mk|| version) is vast for most games

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
PooonTang said:
You can 'force' a pro-logic signal out of any stereo signal so you'd still get a surrond sound of sorts but it's fairly naff. eg on forza using incar cam all you get is engine noice from the centre and the occasional sound from the rears, not much else happens. the difference between 5.1 and pro logic(even the fancy Mk|| version) is vast for most games
Well, that's kind of what I meant. If a signal isn't designed for ProLogic, it won't be much cop. 5.1 is the way to go!

Scotty306

Michaelknell said:
This is the back of my 5.1 surround sound system. .
I have to say, that looks more like a dvd player to me

How many speakers does it have?
I assume it produces 5.1 when the source is a dvd, but if the aux input is just stereo then your output will be stereo

Zacabeb

The Xbox could downmix games into Dolby Surround, and I assume that the Xbox 360 will have the same capability. It won't compare to discrete 5.1 output, but it does decode reasonably well.

Pooon

Scotty306 said:
I have to say, that looks more like a dvd player to me

How many speakers does it have?
I assume it produces 5.1 when the source is a dvd, but if the aux input is just stereo then your output will be stereo
Your half right! that is just the dvd transport. the big connecter on the left of that photo is the system connector that goes to the sub where the amp is located and where the speakers plug in. strange design if you ask me

It is a DVD player. I'm guessing this means I only get 5.1 from playing DVD's. What do Ineed extra to get it from xbox 360 and sky+ too if possible.

Pooon

quick answer, a amp that has optical/coaxial digital inputs. yamaha do a nice range of affordable amps

So will this go in place of the DVD player I am currently using for my sound? Meaning I'll have to change all the speakers. Or can I just get the base unit thing and connect it to all my current speakers, and just have the current DVD player out of the way?

I've just had a thought-surely my sky+ is playing in dolby digital, as it is connected via the TV in wires. If I connected my xbox via them (or the aux wires) wouldn't that give me dd?

Zacabeb

There is an important difference to note between Dolby Digital and Dolby Surround/Pro Logic.

Dolby Digital is a delivery format, and method for compressing one or more channels of sound and packaging them together. It can carry anything from mono up to 5.1. A DVD recorder may be capable of receiving Dolby Digital in off-air broadcasts and record it, or convert audio from an external input to Dolby Digital form for recording, but it won't affect the number of audio channels recorded or output.

Dolby Surround on the other hand is a method for embedding directional cues in the left and right channels of a regular 2-channel stereo signal. Pro Logic and Pro Logic II in turn are methods used for extracting those directional cues and divide the sound across more channels, approximating multi-channel sound. The problem with this is that it cannot judge the directionality of the mix perfectly, so there's always some leakage and error between the output channels, making the soundfield a bit collapsed and imprecise.

So, Dolby Digital and Dolby Surround are not the same thing, although Dolby Digital may carry Dolby Surround-encoded 2-channel stereo audio.

Once a Dolby Digital signal is converted to analog form, it's restricted by the method of connection. If you connect a source via the left and right analog inputs of your receiver, it will only get regular 2-channel stereo and depend on Dolby Pro Logic for delivering the sound across more channels.

Zacabeb

Having re-read my post, so am I. ;)

The only way to get 5.1 Dolby Digital out of the Xbox 360 and Sky+ box will be using a digital audio connection. Connecting either of them via the AUX and SCART inputs on the receiver will give 2-channel stereo and Pro Logic, but nonetheless it's the best solution possible on your system. Connecting either the Xbox 360 or the Sky+ box via the TV input however, will give only mono sound.

Zacabeb said:
Having re-read my post, so am I. ;)

The only way to get 5.1 Dolby Digital out of the Xbox 360 and Sky+ box will be using a digital audio connection. Connecting either of them via the AUX and SCART inputs on the receiver will give 2-channel stereo and Pro Logic, but it's the best solution possible on that system. Connecting them via the TV input however, will give only mono sound.
So how do I get a digital audio connection? From what you say I must be getting mono out of my sky at the moment. Still sounds good so 5.1 surround sound must sound fantastic.

Pooon

If your sky+ box is connected to the Tv via scart or to your dvd system via red + white phonos your be getting stereo sound at the very least, certainly not a mono sound(unless of course you have stupidly set the sound setting in the sky+ system menu to mono, but i doubt you have)

oh if you do decide on a new amp you will either need a new dvd player as well or you could just use the 360 instead

Moogle

Essentially with the equipment you have the moment there is no way you could get true DD 5.1 surround sound. The only way to obtain that is if you have a surround sound amp/reciever with digital inputs and connections for 5.1 speakers ( three front, two rear and a subwoofer ) as well as all the speakers.

OK, does this mean I will need new speakers. At the moment I have the Panasonic sa-mt1. I don't have much money so I'd like to keep the speakers if possible. I will use my Xbox 360 as a DVD player so my only concern is getting Sky+ and 360 in true DD 5.1 surround. Someone show me what I need please.

Also, am I correct in thinking I can play DVD's in true 5.1 SS on this system?

Pooon

You will be able to use your excisting speakers with a new amp, the only thing i'm not sure about is the sub. can you post a picture of the back of the sub showing the connections it has.

And yes with your current system you do get DD5.1 from your dvd movies, but thats all.

To get 5.1 from sky and 360 you will need a amp that has 2 of these:
this will allow you to connect the 360 and sky via optical to get 5.1 sound. an example of an amp that has the required connection is this one Yamaha357 but there are lots more on the market to look at both costing less and much more

I was just looking at that on eBay by coincidence. It has 3 optical inputs! Meaning I could connect sky+ (skyHD in the future) and my 360 to it having one optical input left over! Not a bad price too.
Would it work with my current sub and speakers?

womble9

They're a great amp, very well spec'd for the price with plenty of conections and features. I've got one waiting to go into my games room when it's finished and a friend of mine has one in his front room and he's well happy with it.
With regards to your speakers the answer is no not fully. It'll work with your satallites (front, centre and rears) but not from what I can see your sub as it has a custom conection. You really do need a sub as well as the small sat's really aren't too clever at handling large amounts of bass and trust me the difference it makes is imense (as is the difference 5.1 makes to both films and games).
These are an absolute bargain http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=TANN-FX5.1-SIL
Very good quality at a great price too (a search on here will show you how happy many people are with them). I have them in my front room (as does my friend) and they never fail to impress. For the money you really can't go wrong with either of them and with the pair of them you'd have a superb set up for little over £300. You may still be lucky as just a few months ago they were available at a couple of branches of Bennetts Electrical (seem to remember they're in East Anglia) for just £128 !!!, which Richer Sounds matched for me :) .