Sound

don-tucker

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I have a Panasonic av reciever driving a Bose acoustimass 6 sytem and I'm not happy with it,I am told that the amp is not up to the job.Has anyone a similar system and can suggest a suitable amp.
Don

Who told you the amps not up to it?

Before we descend into Bose bashing, tell us exactly what kit you have. Have you heard a Bose setup you did like, and if so, what was driving it? There are long lists of what may be considered 'good' amps but your requirements may differ from others. Tell us more.

I'm using a Panasonic AV Receiver SX-XR10 and getting to much bass after adjusting every thing to minimum,some one on the plasma forum said it could be the amp as conventional amps are not up to it.
There is a NAD T750 on ebay any good?
Don

From a review of the amp:
We first partnered the SA-XR10 with a speaker package, and frankly, we were underwhelmed by the brash, hard sound; sitting through even a single DVD was a trial. That's funny because the Polk kit won us over when it was teamed up with our Pioneer VSX-27TX receiver. We took the hint, swapped out the Polks, hooked up our Energy Take 5.2 system, and bingo--the gritty sound disappeared. Even when we tried a less than stellar-sounding DVD such as Pulp Fiction, the XR10's sonics were quite acceptable. The lesson that we learned: The XR10 is picky about speakers, and the Energy's laid-back demeanor was a better fit. We'd guess that Paradigm, Mirage, and Infinity speakers would also work.

It would seem the amp is fussy about speaker pairings. However there is no guarantee the Nad you suggest would be better (though the chances are it will!). I would suggest that throwing cash at the problem is not the solution here, you need to demo any choices. That suggests finding a dealer that will allow home demonstration.

Thanks for your trouble Cable,I'm thinking about visiting the local Richer Sounds and presenting them with the problem,I hear they are good with home trials.Nobody seems to like Bose,why is that ?
Don

Bose are single minded in pursuit of a product which does the impossible, big sound with minimal impact in terms of space taken up. While it does that very well the purists would argue that the resulting sound is not exactly 'hi-fi'. I never see the point in challenging a Bose owner about their choice because the appearance of the speakers was a major reason for that choice. Not everyone has room for wardrobe sized speakers or wives/partners that would accept such an intrusion. Mine certainly would prefer something Bose sized. Thankfully she has never seen any and I am not going out of my way to point any out! ;)

Hi Cable,I've got a Denon AVR 1906 on trial and I'm most impressed ,without setting it up properly , tomorrow I'll have a good go at it but at the moment no booming or distortion.
Cheers Don

Cool, Denon do amplification consistently well so the 1906 should offer you enough options to tailor your sound to suit. Glad we could be of some assistance.

You certainly were.
Thanks again Don

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom