Sound volume display

Jokenighttrain

Novice Member
My new Samsung TV doesn't display a sound volume number it just shows a plus or a minus sign. How can l make the TV display a number?
Sony STR HD830 AVR
SAMSUNG Q90T65
HDMI cables

mikej

I've never come across a TV where that can be altered so I suspect you might be stuck with it, unfortunately.

Jokenighttrain

Novice Member
Thanks Mike, it works fine with just the TV sound. But in home theater it disappears. I got my 8 y/o niece coming this weekend; I'll ask her. lol

mikej

Thanks Mike, it works fine with just the TV sound. But in home theater it disappears. I got my 8 y/o niece coming this weekend; I'll ask her. lol

I have a Panasonic TV and a Yamaha AVR and mine is exactly the same - a number scale when using TV speakers but a plus / minus when using external speakers with no option to change this, so I suspect it's normal behaviour. I do get a volume number (in dB) on the AVR though.

Jokenighttrain

Novice Member
I have a Panasonic TV and a Yamaha AVR and mine is exactly the same - a number scale when using TV speakers but a plus / minus when using external speakers with no option to change this, so I suspect it's normal behaviour. I do get a volume number (in dB) on the AVR though.
I do to, just wish the avr display panel was bigger and brighter. New stuff - go figure!

mikej

Ah - I can see the volume info on the Yamaha from my sofa :D

Thinking about it... do you have any on-screen display options on the AVR ? I've got vague memories of having the AVR volume number on the TV screen originally but I turned the option off on the AVR for some reason - possibly because it was too confusing, overlaid on the TVs plus / minus display.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
There will be an overlay setting in the AVR menu somewhere.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom