1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound&Vision (Bolton) on trial

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by hurricane, Jan 14, 2002.

1. hurricane

hurricane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered a Tosh 50WH18B from Sound&Vision. I ordered from them because of the good press they have on these message boards (eg speak to George he will do you a good deal)

TV was delivered last Friday. On Saturday I noticed that the rear thin wood panel at the back was bent and coming off from the nails, also the component panel was missing screws so it was loose.

I am not impressed, to say the least.

OK so now Sound & Vision (bolton) on trial. Rang to speak to George, who sold me the TV, instead another chap asked me what was wrong. Explained the problem, he said customer service will ring we back within 24 hours. He said they normally take the TV , let their engineers take a look at it , and only then send a replacement.

Is it just me who thinks this is bad customer service. I don't want to wait 24 hours for a call back. I want to speak to someone in charge NOW. I also want a replacement or my money back NOW, not have the TV collected and a engineer look at it first !!!!!!.

OK gang I will keep you all informed what happens.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I bought a JVC 32" from Sound & Vision which I was not happy with. They replaced it immediately even though I had thrown all of the packaging away which made the courier a little unhappy as he had to unpack one and repack the other but I couldn't fault the supplier.

3. hurricane

hurricane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Five hours later, still no word. Question, can I insist on a full refund instead of a replacement, as I am getting P***ed off.

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am not keen on this company:

In about April/May last year I bought the Hitachi 32WF810 tv from Digital Direct. Received the tv on the due date, everything seemed fine. Then after a couple of days noticed the pic wobbling from side to side on vcr playback. Tried my two other machines on the tv - same problem. I rang Digital Direct told them of the problem and asked for a replacement. They tried to blame my scart leads - I said he was talking crap. I insisted on a refund.

Bearing in mind the tv was just a couple of days old, I expected the retailer to have just sent out a replacement and collected mine at the same time. But no - instead they have to send a form out to you by post, which you have to sign agreeing to all sorts of terms and conditions (including charging you £60 if no fault is found), send the form back, then wait for them to arrange courier collection. There was no way all this would get done in less than a week was there?

Then while I was still discussing the situation, I noticed the plastic cabinet surrounding the screen had become warped. I informed of this also, but couldn't believe their cheek when they suggested 'clicking' the cabinet back towards the screen!

I told them I wasn't having any of this 'form' nonsense, and that I would get my credit card company to sort it out. I can't remember exactly what he said in response to this, but he made out he would make it difficult for me.

I was concerned that by the time everything was sorted out, there would be no stock of this model left. I knew the tv was discontinued when I bought it, but it was perfect for my requirements. So after getting no joy from Digital Direct (leaving it in the hands of the card co) I read through the ads of what video.

Saw the same tv advertised at the same price at a company called Sound & Vision. Bought it from them, no hesitation.

There were no probs with this tv, apart from the usual geometry flaws. Then a couple of days later I received the form from the first company, Digital Direct. Guess what? Same address as Sound & Vision. I felt conned, because there was no obvious link from the different address's given in the adverts or even the original invoice from the two companies. It was only this form that I had now received that connected the two.

After all the biterness with Digital Direct, I had purchased my replacement from effectively the same company.

I have been experiencing problems now with this set from Sound & Vision. I telephoned them, expecting them to arrange a service call straight away. Just like Digital Direct, they won't do anything untill you sign a form agreeing to all sorts of conditions.

You don't get this sort of hassle even at Currys, Comet, etc.

I did get the money back OK fom the first set via the credit card company. If I get any more hassle with this one, I'll speak to them again.

I definately wouldn't touch either of these companies again, even for a blank tape!

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,401
    Hurrican - '5 hours later....'
    I think you'll need a lot more patience than that before you're story is over.
    I gave some advice a while back that people should not really buy TVs mailorder.
    I think while people continue to do so we will continue to get threads like this.

6. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Spectre.

Are you saying that people should avoid mail order, but that buying via the internet is OK?

Why do you say this?

7. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course you can insist on a full refund if the tv is not fit for the purpose and its within a reasonable time frame say 3 weeks to a month, its the law, its all in the sales and goods act.

8. Tony McG

Tony McG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buying over the phone and internet is covered by the new legislation for distance buying.

I'm 99.99% certain that it gives you a seven day cooling off period to reject the goods for any reason you want and you are entitled to a full refund (not sure about P&P)

Speak to your local trading standards office, they will confirm this.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, buying over internet and by phone/mail does indeed give you a 7 day cooling off period. It is in the information section on the Comet Direct website. It's actually quite helpful if anyone wants to take a look. Plain English.

Carol

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    nope...i'd wouldn't buy a tv via mailorder or over the net!!

Rather pay the extra and goto a proper shop, and view the TV with my own eyes, give it a demo, try a few test disc's out, spend some time in front of it, have a play with the settings, etc etc......

i wouldn't mind paying the extra few hundred quid, for this piece of mind....!

But as most people seem bothered about saving a few extra quid..

11. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sound & Vision replaced FIVE faulty Sony's for me within five days!! One per day. That is good service! You are entitled to a full refund if you are unhappy with your purchase because it is faulty. If you paid by credit card then have a word with them, it could help.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It saddens me to see so many people have to take this sort of S**t from mail order companies...... Why bother with an untrusted company when John Lewis will match Sound and Visions price and give a free 5 year guarantee to boot.

Everyone should use John Lewis. They are not perfect (slow and mainly paper based) by my God do they know how to give good customer service if the TV goes wrong. You can also try the set's out, get professional advice (as long as you go mid-week), get free delivery, take the wife (to do some other retail therapy in the bed/duvet/china/clothing sections - and thus keep her sweet)...............

If the price is the same as the cheapest in the country (after a bit of arm twisting) then I can't see any reason to go anywhere else (assuming they carry the item you want).

No - I don't work for them!!

Good luck

13. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting... I ordered a Toshiba 43VJ93B RPTV from www.avshopdirect.com on December 23. Note - avshopdirect are the same company as Sound & Vision in Bolton.

I've still not received the tv as of writing this. I've phoned them a couple of times and they reckon Toshiba will phone me to arrange delivery. Well I figger since I've payed £45 for delivery it shouldn't take longer than 3 weeks ? Is this fair ? So far I'm not impressed at all. Gonna be phoning them tommorow and will be demanding a phone number for the Toshiba factory.

Has anyone bought from avdirect before ? If so how long have their deliveries taken ??

Thanks for any help :D

14. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    HBK757

If this company you ordered from IS anything to do with Sound & Vision in Bolton, then I would cancel your order immediately.

Yes you might have got a good deal and you might not have any problems with the tv - but heaven help you if you do.

Like I said, I wouldn't even buy a blank tape from them.

15. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HBK757

Sound & Vision took weeks to deliver some speakers to me after promising they would originally take a 'couple of days' from my order date. It turned out the speakers had not even arrived from the distributers so they sold 'em to me knowing them to be out of stock. Upon threatening to cancel the order, the speakers magically arrived the next day. I was put off from using them again though.

Are you sure that avshopdirect.com exists? I looked at avshopdirect.co.uk and that is the online arm of Robert Whyte Ltd.

Pathfinder :confused:

16. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys, not too good to hear of these experiences :(

I think I'm gonna phone them tommorow and tell them I'll be cancelling the order if its not delivered by Friday. I'll see what they say.

Ah - must have got it mixed up, I thought avshopdirect was the same as Sound & Vision, I guess its Robert Whyte.
    Thanks.

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would advise everyone to stay well clear, too.

18. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ugh, just tried to email Robert Whyte and got a "Mail delivery error, email address could not be reached."

Not exactly confidence inspiring, I'll be phoning them at 9:30am tommorow when they open.

19. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,401
    In my opinion mailorder on the internet is fine most of the time.
    But Tvs are too bulky, expensive and unreliable to buy mailorder

20. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    Two years ago on reading an excellent review of a Panasonic video in What Video and TV, I rang Sound & Vision, to get a quote, they told me they had non but they was 6 coming in next week and 3 had been ordered (that sounded false). Having ordered from them in the past and finding them cheap I ordered one allowing them to take a sizeable deposit. A week later I had heard nothing from them, and gave them a ring on a Friday, the said they was coming in Tuesday, on Tuesday this became Thursday, I rang Panasonic and they told me non had been shipped to this country yet, but there was to be a launch of it in about a week. After one calendar month. I rang them on their order line after 6 and asked if I ordered one how long would it take to get them in, they said they was in stock, so I said where was mine. They said they had just come in that day and they was going to ring me tomorrow. This was Thursday and did not get it whilst Tuesday, 1month and 5 days after ordering it, not within the week as originally stated.

Next I was using both 3D DRS and TBC and it seemed to be fine but then I noticed I was getting a band across the screen on some programs, on bold colours, and found I could get it to do this on ITV News channel every time. I rang them for help and got non, so I said it was faulty and was within 7 days I wanted a replacement. They then sent me a form out, stating it would cost me a packet if nothing was wrong. I rang them and asked if I brought it in with a recording would they look at it, which they said OK. I took it back over some considerable miles, the shop was empty of customers, but no one would look at it they said it was an engineers job. I left it with them and the tape. I rang a week later and was told there was nothing wrong, on querying this I was put in touch with the engineer, I asked if there was anything I was doing wrong, they said no. I said what about the tape, they said it was OK. I told them no one would look at the shop, they said when I picked it up they would, hook it up to a TV at the shop. I went on a Saturday in the sheeting pouring rain and the shop was jammers, and took me above half an hour to see anyone (was at the back of customer, being told by the of the staff how good a service they gave). When I was attended to, I was told the video was across the road and up a street, and the engineer would sort everything out. On getting there I was made to wait in the entrance and told they could not let me in any farther as the premises was not insured for me but if I took it back to the shop they would show me it working.
    Drenched to the skin I went back to the shop, this time it was a bit quieter, I think I got the manager this time and was told they were to busy to bother with me and folk were ringing on the phones to place orders, I said the engineer said the shop would hook the video up, and I was then given the impression the engineer would get a good rollicking if I told him who had said that. At this point I left the shop knowing I would get nowhere fast with them.
    On getting home I found the video in the exact position I had left it and the fault was still there. I found out myself not using the 3D DRS on recording prevents the fault. I still do not know if I should use this. Help anyone!

Next problem on checking my bill of sale (guarantee) stated it stared when I order the video and not even in the country, not a month later when they got, and I paid the balance, or when I received it. I rang and told them of this and was promised 5 time a new bill of sale would be sent out, I still haven’t received anything from them.

They have received a lot of custom from me in the past and recommendations, that has now ended.
    :(

21. hurricane

hurricane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gang, here is a update.

After threatening to ask for a full refund, George from Sound&Vision (bolton) rang me the next day, asking what the problem was.

I explained, he offered to replace the TV but had no stock in. He was expecting a new batch to arrive in 7 to 10 days time. I agreed to wait, on condition that if I had not had a new replacement withing 14 day, I would want a full refund. He said he was confident that it would not come to that. He said he will ring me the moment the stock arrives

So , we shall wait and see what happens

22. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hurricane,

If you have the chance of a refund - then take it now, while you still can.

Seriously, from my experience, once you have had your set more than 14 days you will find it very difficult to obtain any sort of service from them. It was difficult enough getting a refund via my credit card company when my first set was only a few days old.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have had a number of problems with my Hitachi. I telephoned them on wednesday last week to explain the faults and expected them to book a service call there and then. Instead, I have to wait for a form to be posted, which I have to sign agreeing to various terms and conditions. The form didn't arrive 'til Saturday. I signed it and posted it by 10am the same day.

It is now 1 week since making the phone call to request service and I have received neither a letter or phone call.

Had I known Sound & Vision was linked with Digital Direct, I would not have purchased with them.

Why do they run these companies under different names/telephone numbers? Why indeed?!

23. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup why indeed? In my opinion its very suspicious and mis-leading. Bit like Microsoft running a sh*tload of companies under different names and taking more of a percentage of the market. I don't like it.

24. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    They are very good at this I have bought a Dyson Cleaner from them on a price match basis. BUT they are no longer any good if the cheapest in the land is an internet supplier as they have not matched internet prices since Sept last year.

It also depends how picky they are feeling as a few of my friends have managed price matches but only if you add the extra cost of the 5 year guarantee and delivery to the one you are trying to get them to match. ie. if supplier a has a TV for £500, delivery for £20 and 5 year warranty for £100 they will price match to £620 only as that would be like for like with the "package" JL supply and which the conditions of the price match require.

25. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It is about time that we had a 'concrete' sale of goods act. The term 'reasonable length of time' is useless. What is reasonable to one, may not be reasonable to another.

The new 'distance selling act' is a step in the right direction, but we desperately need new legislation that provides clear rights to consumers when thrings go wrong after this.

Far too often retailers refer you to the manufacturers waranty, trying to absolve themselves of any responsibility. The manufacturer's waranty will usually state 'this is in addition to your statutory rights'. But what good are these statutory rights if they can not be clearly defined?

I understand our european counterparts enjoy much better levels of service than us, perhaps because of tighter laws.

26. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I was going to order through the net (my tv) after testing it in various shops. However something stopped me, gut feeling i guess, have no problems in ordering other things, but TV's? Anyway got a good deal from courts (yes the furniture place!, 2 yrs 0% interest), they delivered on time, set up the tv, plugeed my dvd and viseo in and checked and set up the tv, hung around to make sure nothing went wrong, and then went.

Maybe to some its not worth paying the xtra retail price for, but i think the peace of mind is worth it and option to spot a problem while they are there could be useful.

27. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hear, Hear!

Anyway I gather that for our european counterparts "reasonable time" is 2 years. This would be a step in the right direction and apparently was going to be made legislation here by Jan 2002 but somehow (bribery, corruption, conspiracy or whoever just couldn't be bothered to push it through in time) it wasn't .

How do our Scottish counterparts fair as theirs includes a statement about "up to 5 years from when the 1st fault is found"?

28. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58

I expect it never went through because of pressure from companies like Comet, Currys, Dixons, etc who rely on selling extended waranties for the majority of their profit.

The same reason why the 'standard 2 year' waranty ended that was given by most manufacturers on tv sets up untill 1993.

29. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MMMMMM this is gettng quite interesting,

I Bought my TV Tosh 40pw8dg and a multiregion Tosh 2109 from Digital direct back in 1999,

I had also in the past always bought from the likes off Curry,s etc, heres my story,,,,,,

It was Christmas 99 and we (i) wanted a TV and DVD player for a few months I read the reviews and walked round all the shops looking and playing with the models i liked but decided to leave it until after Christmas and get them in the sales, so out on Boxing day we go but alas the TV and DVD we wanted were not in the sales (that we could find any way) and the high street prices at the time were £1999 for the TV and £299 for a R2 DVD, so as we didnt have a PC then and no internet on the monday (also a bank holiday due to Christmas being Sat/Sun) I started ringing round the ads in HCC, what TV etc and the best deal i found was Digital direct at £1425 for the TV and £250 for the DVD modded so £1625 (deliverd) I was told that i would receive it on thursday of that week (not bad as that week had 3 Bank holidays due to the millenium) which it did !!!!

So I saved £623 and got my TV/DVD before the new year (which none of the high street shops could manage) I must add that I have never had a problem with either unit.

Also remember this because you go to a shop and buy a TV that you can see and play with there That is not the set you get (unless you buy EX display) so there are no guarantees that the set you do get will be ok and if its something like a 50" rptv you still stand no chance of being able to storm back to the shop with it in the boot of your car and demand your money back!!

You will always get good and bad in everything but at the end of the day its up to you were you shop, I would say go to the big store see the TV you want play with it ask about the deals they offer (0% interesrt maybe) then go away and see if you can get a better deal and then make your mind up, For me saving £623 was a lot of money and made my mind up for me!

30. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    It seems that there may be some new european legislation on consumer rights coming to the UK after all. This months PC Pro magazine had an whole page on the subject and it looks set for this summer BUT I'll believe it when I see it.

However even PC Pro were cynical in that they were saying the larger retailers are trying to get it watered down as currently the legislation includes the retailers having to prove that the goods are not faulty rather than us. They also went on to say that if this means 1-2% more returns then that will be 1-2% (more like 5-10% me thinks) higher prices to cover it.

Hmmm we'll see.