1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound & Vision - aka 'Digital Direct'

Discussion in 'TVs' started by simon1, Jan 14, 2002.

1. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am not keen on these companies:

In about April/May last year I bought the Hitachi 32WF810 tv from Digital Direct. Received the tv on the due date, everything seemed fine. Then after a couple of days noticed the pic wobbling from side to side on vcr playback. Tried my two other machines on the tv - same problem. I rang Digital Direct told them of the problem and asked for a replacement. They tried to blame my scart leads - I said he was talking crap. I insisted on a refund.

Bearing in mind the tv was just a couple of days old, I expected the retailer to have just sent out a replacement and collected mine at the same time. But no - instead they have to send a form out to you by post, which you have to sign agreeing to all sorts of terms and conditions (including charging you £60 if no fault is found), send the form back, then wait for them to arrange courier collection. There was no way all this would get done in less than a week was there?

Then while I was still discussing the situation, I noticed the plastic cabinet surrounding the screen had become warped. I informed of this also, but couldn't believe their cheek when they suggested 'clicking' the cabinet back towards the screen!

I told them I wasn't having any of this 'form' nonsense, and that I would get my credit card company to sort it out. I can't remember exactly what he said in response to this, but he made out he would make it difficult for me.

I was concerned that by the time everything was sorted out, there would be no stock of this model left. I knew the tv was discontinued when I bought it, but it was perfect for my requirements. So after getting no joy from Digital Direct (leaving it in the hands of the card co) I read through the ads of what video.

Saw the same tv advertised at the same price at a company called Sound & Vision. Bought it from them, no hesitation.

There were no probs with this tv, apart from the usual geometry flaws. Then a couple of days later I received the form from the first company, Digital Direct. Guess what? Same address as Sound & Vision. I felt conned, because there was no obvious link from the different address's given in the adverts or even the original invoice from the two companies. It was only this form that I had now received that connected the two.

After all the biterness with Digital Direct, I had purchased my replacement from effectively the same company.

I have been experiencing problems now with this set from Sound & Vision. I telephoned them, expecting them to arrange a service call straight away. Just like Digital Direct, they won't do anything untill you sign a form agreeing to all sorts of conditions.

You don't get this sort of hassle even at Currys, Comet, etc.

I did get the money back OK fom the first set via the credit card company. If I get any more hassle with this one, I'll speak to them again.

I definately wouldn't touch either of these companies again, even for a blank tape!

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, I also had major problems with Digital Direct. Their customer care policy is non existent.

The only ones that lose out in the end though is tehm. Not only will I never buy anything from them again but I tell people to steer away from them also.

Since I tend to buy a lot over the years and people constantly ask me for the best deals, it's their loss not mine.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It saddens me to see so many people have to take this sort of S**t from mail order companies...... Why bother with an untrusted company when John Lewis will match Sound and Visions price and give a free 5 year guarantee to boot.

Everyone should use John Lewis. They are not perfect (slow and mainly paper based) by my God do they know how to give good customer service if the TV goes wrong. You can also try the set's out, get professional advice (as long as you go mid-week), get free delivery, take the wife (to do some other retail therapy in the bed/duvet/china/clothing sections - and thus keep her sweet)...............

If the price is the same as the cheapest in the country (after a bit of arm twisting) then I can't see any reason to go anywhere else (assuming they carry the item you want).

No - I don't work for them!!

Good luck

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would advise everyone to steer well clear of this company in all of it's guises.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon1,

Which Credit Card company was it you used? How long it it take to sort out and we they OK about it.
    Thanks.

6. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Credit card company was Royal Bank of Scotland.

It took about almost 3 months I think. I had no doubt that I would get the refund, as the set was only a few days old.

The shop actually did the refund (after being forced to by cc company). Then 1 week later the cc company did their own refund. So we had double our money. It wasn't long after though, that the cc company realised their mistake and charged the amount back again.

This second refund won't be as straightforward, as this set was now 8 months old. Although I am arguing that the actual fault existed at the begining of purchase and has got worse. I am quoting the Sale of Goods Act to both the cc company (saying they are jointly liable with the retailer) and Sound & Vision themselves.

I am assumming you have read my other post about being threatened with a storage charge of £10 a week by Sound & Vision?

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I have read the other thread. I sincerely wish you the best of luck. It would be unwise for me to comment on my own particular situation at this time. But rest assured I will be at some point.
    I will say this however, you have given me hope, thanks.