1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound Upgrade 5.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PARROT, Jun 10, 2002.

1. PARROT

PARROT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I RECENTLY BOUGHT A WIDESCREEN T.V WITH A FREE DVD PLAYER AND VCR.I AM NOW LOOKING TO UPGRADE THE SOUND WITH 5.1. HOWEVER THE DVD PLAYER I HAVE BOUGHT DOESN'T HAVE 5.1. SETUP. i HAVE TWO OPTIONS 1) BUY A DAVS300 SYSTEM OR 2) BUY A NEW PACKAGE HT-DDW740S WHICH COMPRISES OF DIGITAL RECEIVER AND SPEAKER PACKAGE. I ONLY HAVE £ 300.00 BUDGET. I HAVE HAD SOME TROUBLE IN LOCATING THIS PACKAGE ANYWHERE. I HAVE FOUND IT ON SOME SITES BUT HE EARLIEST I CAN GET HOLD OF THIS IS EARLY AUGUST. iS IT BETTER TO BUY DAVS300 OR THE HT-DDW740S PACKAGE???????. AS THE REST OF THE PACKAGE I HAVE IS SONY AND WOULD LIKE TO KEEP IT ALL THE SAME. PLEASE HELP.

2. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will get alot of differing opinions on this forum to your question - it has been asked many times.

The DAV is a good unit and WILL give you good solid 5.1 performance. I know 2 people with them who love the simplicity, love the sound and love the discrete size of the components.

What the DAV does lack is outright power - you'll be able to get it loud, but it wont lift the roof off, and its clarity at maximum volume will suffer slightly. The other main drawback with DAVs is that you cannot run them with lots of other components. They are very limited in their external component connection capabilty.

When it comes to the seperates package you mention (I must admit to not knowing that particulr one) if it is a Sony reciver and other components grouped together, it will provide more powerful sound, and have much more futureproof connection capacity. But it is bigger and bulkier and more compliciated to use.

Lots of other guys recomend non Sony packages of components which will be around the same price as the DAV - of you do a search for DAV, you will see them.

If you have a DVD player and it has a Digital Coaxial or Optical out, it will have 5.1 capacity and will hook up to a Sony receiver just fine - the DVD sends the signal altogether and the reciever will decode it into the 6 speakers. So all you need to get is a reciever and the speakers.

Hope this has been some help.

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, as you will no doubt do a search you will find my comments on the DAV so no need to repeat those.

The Yamaha lifestyle system is probably one of the best ones available and you should take a look at that rather than a DAV. It may cost you £350 but it is worth the little extra.