1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound transmision thru cavity wall

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Tony_Cook, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Tony_Cook

Tony_Cook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if there is a product I can pump into my cavity wall to stop sound travelling from the next-door neighbours living room into my living room via the gap in the cavity wall ?

The cavity wall seems to have a sheet of plastic in between the outside bricks and inside blocks for an unkown as yet reason.

The house is 4 yrs old and built from lolly-pop sticks, a bit of glue, plenty of flexible filler and two screws (new house syndrome). Inside walls are blocks with plasterboard stuck on with blobs of adhesive (dry lined (and cheap))

2. flat spot

flat spot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Cement??:D

Sorry don't know, but on past threads extra layers of plasterboard seem favourite to stop it.Perhaps if they could do it as well, but if they're like my neighbours they just don't give a s!%t.:(

3. drew

drew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to Wickes and get their Rockwool slabs, 35mm thick solid stuff, not the airy stuff for lofts. They have a good idea leaflet on how to fit it, but in short you fit directly to wall and then fit plasterboard over, screwing through the board and insulation into the wall, - no battens required.

You'll have a significant reduction in noise transmission.