1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound too quiet. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by kwijibo, Nov 5, 2003.

1. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is probably a really simple thing, but I have just got into pc gaming and have noticed something with my pc I hadn't before. The sound from my little speakers is ridiculously quiet. I hadn't bothered with sound previously, but on radio, downloads, games whatever I cannot turn the volume up past whisper. I have of course checked the really simple stuff like volume control, but that is on maximum. Any ideas?

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Have you checked the voluem controls in Windows? There are seperate sliders for the main volume, wave files, midi files, CD audio and so-on. Might be worth upping those.

There's also the possiblity that the connections between the speakers and PC are a bit loose, so they may need a wiggle.

How are your speakers powered? If they're mains powered, they should be able to churn out a reasonable volume. If they're not mains powered, that might be part of the problem.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,526
    Go in the control panel and click on Sound and audio Devices, you can increase it there.

Also (do not know if this applies to you as I run an amp of mine) make sure you have it in the right socket on the sound card.

4. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    depending on your particular hardware there may be connections for line out , microphone and speakers - if your speakers are passive and are pluged into the line out they will be very quiet.

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,108
    Make sure you take your fingers out of your ears. :rolleyes:

Might be worth checking your speakers with another source - just to make sure they're not duff.