Sound system for a very large conference room

atamai

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all thanks for your time to read all noobs question, i have one of them:

I work as System Engineer on a manufacturing plant, and we have several meeting rooms, but we construct a large room to have conferences and presentations, the size's room is 29 feet X 37 feet.

I need a system to play conference calls from a phone, computer presentations from power point or any video, a DVD source, microphone capability etc.

The number of persons will be 40 at max. we want to have a very good sound quality.

I don't have budget limitation but i don't want to pay something very expensive that some other cheaper system can do, or something that i don't need. the best price/performance will be the option to go.

Please advice me with at least 2 options. an ultra high-end and middle end systems.

Thanks and best regards for all

It's not just cost but layout.
For example, what is the ceiling height? If you place speakers high up then the sound will travel better than at low level, producing more uniform sound levels.

Floor plant:

29 feet width X 37 feet deep the ceiling is at 9.2 feet.

29 feet
----------------------
| Screen projector
|
|
|
|
| 37 feet
|
|
|
----------------------

Requirements:

Good looking speakers
small footprint if possible but not a must
very good sound quality
40 people on the room
transmit movies, presentations, conference calls.
the system will be setup for IT engineers, and we want the people can turn on the system and start to reproduce the sound. (simplicity on use)

Thanks and regards!!

For an integrated system like this your best option will be to go directly to a dedicated commercial installation company for advice and service. Sadly, many of these are cowboys and having visited many, many venues over the years I have seen some shockers.

This is a small space so would be suited to a couple of small speakers at the front (JBL Control 1 for cheap, D&B E3 or E0 for expensive). Flexibility within these rooms is often key so I would expect some kind of automated Crestron/Lutron control system for basic presets but this should be combined with the ability to patch in additional equipment for extraneous requirements (camera audio in/out for example).

Microphones are very application specific so I wouldn't like to recommend anything at this stage.

At least have a think about it and get it done properly so that it looks neat and not like a bodge job. :)

If you have the budget, then really do consider a professional audio contractor. If nothing else, you could pay them for a consultation and recommendations, then carry out those recommendations on your own.

First, it seems you need both audio/video/slide presentation. Perhaps even videos such as promotional or training videos. Which in turn implies a pretty full range system. Plan old compact PA speakers, especailly PA horns, are intended for Voice only.

Next, is there something of a stage area, however small, at the front, or is it merely the front of the room?

Next, is there a need for a PA application? That is, someone speaking into a microphone?

I think first you will need a small audio mixers. For a mixer, you probably don't need more than about 4 channels, though I suspect you will want a Stereo mixer. These are relatively inexpensive. You can connect your microphone to this and adjust the levels, balance, and tone, then feed all that into your standard amp, whether it be a stereo PA amp, or a quality HiFi amp.

Next microphones - corded or cordless? Large hand held style microphone or the small lapel microphones you see TV chat show host use?

Next the speakers. This gets complicated.

Will the people be seated in theater seating, row and row of chairs, or will it be table seating as you would typically find in a conference room? Or, possibly both?

If a you have a stage area, then I would say some somewhat big speaker in front of the stage and smaller speaker along the side and possibly in the rear of the room.

If no stage, the perhaps equal sized speaker all round the room. Keep in mind, if this is more of a conference room setting, you CAN NOT have the speaker behind the microphones. The first set of speaker needs to be in front of the speaker, so the speaker aren't playing directly into the microphones.

Next, in a fancy executive conference room, you probably don't want the speakers to be that large or noticeable. In a more auditorium, or small theater setting, larger speakers can be tolerated.

Next for slide/Power-Point presentations. Will a large TV be adequate, or do you feel a video projector and a screen are necessary? If projector, will there be room at the front to place the projector on a table, or will you need it to be mounted from the ceiling?

Consider that you can get 50" to 60" TVs now. Do you feel that is large enough for 40 people to see adequately?

Keep in mind 40 people is not that many people. With theater seating, that is 5 rows 8 seats wide, or 8 rows 5 seats wide. Now if that is 40 people seated at various conference tables as in a normal executive conference room, or something more akin to a classroom, the distances could get larger.

Would the nature of the presentation be mostly graphic with only minor text, or would they be very text heavy. The more text you have, the more demand for reading you have, the larger the screen is going to have to be.

I think I'll leave it there for now. That should give you something to think about. I post back with more thoughts later.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Hi thanks for your responses, we already spend 4000 dlls on NEC projector and very large screen projector, i think that problem we have already resolve.

The next step we want is to resolve sound, we make a cheap installation for our own with an amp with 4 channels and 8 ohms speakers, but the sound quality is very bad.

the seats are setup on the same level on the floor. and there is no stage area its only the front of the room.

we connect the phone output to the sound system to hear conference calls, we need the clearest voice quality possible, since we speak on different languages.

We use this room for manufacturing training, this include, videos, power point presentations etc. Since this room its new, the uses will depend on the room capabilities, so maybe other application could be introduce on future.

Right now we don't use mic, but a cordless mic will be nice.

i prefer to do the purchase and installation on my own, because some suppliers want to install cheap devices, or maybe i can suggest to the supplier the brand name on the devices that you advice me.

So please advice me what kind of devices do i must use for this application?

speakers brand name?
AV receiver? or Audio mixer with amp?
cordless mic brand name?

Thanks for your help!!

What are your current amp and speakers?

What is the standard seating arrangement? Theater or tables? If tables, then conference tables or rows of tables facing the front more like a class room?

Would you like some very discrete speakers, or could you handle having two or four PA speakers like this? -

Peavey Audio Performer Pack Complete Portable PA System 200w

PA speakers mounted on stands?

PS: I'm not recommending these specific speakers, I'm just using the photo as an example.

Steve/bluewizard

Yes the seat arrangement is like a classroom

Classroom ( our room is very similar with this, we have a big screen with a projector from ceiling and the seats are like classroom)

I ask to managers and they want the most discrete possible speakers, wall mounting speakers.

our current amp is this:

Pyramid

and speakers

I don't know if i need a AV receiver for this application or just an amp.

We want to reproduce high quality voice and music from presentations, this

presentations could be movies or documental.

I was thinking about Polk speakers TSi100 or TSi200 series with a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K receiver. but i don't know if this is a adequate solution for this!!

Thanks for your help!!

I personally think an AV amp complicates matters. I think multi-speaker stereo is best. This is presumable for education and training, not for entertainment.

However, you many need to have a digital interface between you DVD player or whatever, and your amp. They are many external DACs around that will connect digital inputs to analog amps. Most AV sources like DVD player typcially have analog outputs, but it wouldn't hurt to have a DAC converter on hand.

Your Pyramid amp might be salvageable, but the speakers are way too small.

The conference room photo you linked to seats about 100 people, yours, if I understand correctly, will seat less than half that number. Correct?

If you would have had conference table style seating, I think I would have recommended something like a series of 6 center speaker placed on the walls (3 on each wall) to spread the sound out evenly. With loudspeakers at the front, it is typically too loud at the front and too quiet at the back. Plus these could have been mounted discretely out of the way.

In your situation, with classroom seating, I'm thinking two speaker similar to those speakers mounted on stands in front (previous link), ahead of the person speaking. By 'ahead of the person speaking', I mean it is important to keep the speaker behind the loudspeakers to prevent feedback.

Then perhaps, similar or slightly smaller speakers mounted on stands in the back, but these speakers, illogical as it might sound, need to be WIRED BACKWARD to keep them in the same mechanical phase as the front speakers. Maybe 10" speaker in front and 8" speaker in the rear, or 12" in front and 10" in back.

It is also somewhat important to keep the speaker moderately high. Above the heads of the listeners. If the speakers are low down on the floor, they are going to blast directly into the people in the front row, and those in the front are going to block the sound from those in the middle. Speakers up high assures a more uniform distribution of sound.

If the seating is really only 5 rows deep with 8 seats across (40 people) then perhaps a single pair of good speakers in front would be enough.

You might be able to accomplish something similar with stereo speaker, but it is variable how they will work for voice PA. Though they should be fine for video presentation. Again, some floorstanders in the front mounted up high, and perhaps tilted down ever so slightly, and a reverse wired pair of bookshelf in the rear to spread the sound out and help fill the room.

With speakers in the front and rear, the overall volume can be lower and everyone will still be able to hear well.

So, my last question is to verify how much space the seated people will take up and if it really will only be about 40 to 50 people?

Let's take an opportunity to analyze the space a little.

First we assume 8 chairs wide and 5 chairs deep. Using the average office chair (25", 64cm), we allow a 4" (10cm) gap between chairs.

That means the seating is 75cm x 8 = 600 or 6 meters wide (19.6').

To allow a comfortable walking space we will say 100cm or 40" space from the back of one chair to the back of the chair in front of it. Five rows minus one because the front row is in the open, give us 400 cm or 4 meter or 13.3 feet.

So, whether it is 8 seats by 5 rows or 5 sets by 8 rows, we have to fill a listening area of about 6 meters by 4 meters (19.6 feet x 13.3 feet).

Now the overall space might be large, but this 6M x 4M is the space where the people are, and the space that needs to be filled with sound.

In my opinion, you need -

- 4 or 6-channel microphone mixer, with tone controls on each channel, and with the possibility of standard stereo AUX input. If the mixer has AUX inputs on two or more channels, then it can act as your pre-amp for the power amps.

- at least 1, if not 2, two channel power amps (one for the front speakers, one for the back speakers)

- External DAC - to convert any digital signals into analog stereo (DACMagic or one of many others). These typically have optical and coaxial, but not HDMI. HDMI is for video (+audio), optical and coaxial are for multi-channel digital Audio.

- 2 large speakers for the front, mounted above the crowd.

- 2 similar but smaller speakers for the rear, wired backwards, and mounted above the crowd.

- 1 or 2 wireless lapel microphones, and perhaps 1 standard stand mounted microphone with a stand.

I think I will leave it there for now, and see what other have to say.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Hi i send you the layout

Layout

Thanks a lot for your recommendations, can you please tell me what

brand names are good on speakers and amps?

Thanks and best regards!!

Curious, your layout shows seating for 60 people in a roughly 9M x 9M (8.9M) space. It that just convenient drafting, or does that really reflect the number of seats in the room?

If you remove the front row, you would have seating for 50.

I do realize that you may have simply used some common drafting symbols for tables and chairs, and you simply used the symbol you had.

But we need to get a clearer sense of how much space there is for seating, how many people will be seated there (rows, columns, chairs & tables or chairs only) and how much space there is for the speaker to stand (in essence, the front 'stage' area).

Also, as well as table & chairs or chairs only, will the room be laid out in one solid block of chairs with walkways on the side, or will they room actually be configured as you have shown, with NO walkways on the side and a central passage way?

We are getting close to the final configuration though, so be patient.

Some more general tips -

The number of channels on the mixer needs to be consistent with the number of inputs you have. For example, if you have a DVD player, a computer, a wireless lapel microphone, and a stand mounted microphone. You need 2 stereo inputs, and two mono inputs.

Depending on the the nature of the mixer, that could mean four mixer channels for the two stereo inputs, and two more mono channels for the microphones. That means a minimum of 6 channels. In this case, I would actually get an 8 channel mixer.

A couple of good place to just browse the general PA style equipment would be -

Dolphin Music -

PA & Live Sound

Hard to Find Records -

Accessories Sections on Hard To Find Website

I think in your case, we are looking at power amps and passive speakers, rather than active speakers. This does mean you should be able to use the power amp you already have, though I should look up the specs on it. I'm thinking it would work fine to drive the rear speakers.

Actually, I did look up the existing Pyramid amp, it is going to be of limited value in your new system, though you might be able to find some secondary use for it. Though off the top of my head, I'm not sure what that use would be.

Finally, we need to start thinking about a budget. More than anything that frames the equipment we can recommend.

If you look at brands like Mackie, which is highly respected, they can get quite expensive -

MACKIE S408 - 600 WATT SPEAKER- EACH

These speaker have an 8" woofer.

MACKIE 1402 VLZ3 - 14 CHANNEL MIXING DESK- EACH

I'm not specifically recommending these speakers and this mixer, just pointing you more to the price.

Behringer is another respected name in PA equipment.

Peavey is more Rock Band PA equipment, but they have been in business for countless year, and must be doing something right.

If you want something of a compromise between HiFi Audio and PA/DJ equipment, then Cerwin Vega is worth a look. They make large powerful full range speakers. But these are generally not cheap.

Now, these sources do have some bundled systems, which might be a good place to start. Here is an example -

Peavey PRO PACK 1800 - PA PACKAGE

Now, I'm not necessarily recommending this specific package, merely using it as an example. In fact, this is probably NOT the package for you. But, if you look over on the right side of the page, you will see a few more packages they have available. Again, this is just to illustrate the possibilities.

But, again, we need something of a budget. Because, as I said, budget more than anything frames the recommendations we will make.

Just to show you the contrast in the possible cost, here is a Budget package you can compare to the previous package -

BUDGET PA PACKAGE - COMPLETE PACKAGE- COMPLETE PACKAGE

This particular package uses Active speakers, meaning the amps are built right into the speakers.

At this stage, I'm not making any recommendations, simply trying to expand your knowledge of the possibilities. And keep in mind, I'm not there, the best I can do is guess at what you need and what will work. You may get by with two speakers in the front, or you may need two in the front and two smaller in the rear.

At this time, I really don't think you need 12" or 15" woofers in your speakers. I'm thinking more 8" or 10" for a small confined room like this. But nothing smaller than that in front.

So, in essence, what I am saying is that any recommendations I make are merely best guess on my part, you have to temper anything I say with your own knowledge of the specifics and your own reasonable judgment.

That's probably enough for now.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your recommendations, i have now a more clear idea about this!!

You right the diagram show a number of person but the total seats are 72

i take photos:

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4
Photo 5
Photo 6
Photo 7

one thing, we want the more discrete speakers, bookshelf speakers!!

Thanks and best regards!!

So, this, in the phots, is the ACTUAL ROOM we are talking about .... Right?

Next, let me ask you this, you have small speakers now, how is that working out for you?

Think of the speakers contained in the typical living room home AV system, they are bigger than the speakers you currently have. To cover a lot of space well, you need reasonable big speakers. But, perhaps not 10" or 12". In your case, you might be able to get buy with two 8" full range speakers in front, and two of the same speakers in back. Eight inch speakers are not huge, but they are not tiny pixie speaker either.

As to the stands I suggested you put the speakers on, they can be sized appropriately for the speakers.

My other suggestion, was to mount somewhat thin speakers, very similar to Center speakers on the size walls. These could be mounted up somewhat high, typically, head height to the average standing man. Four or preferably six, two or three on each side, might work nicely.

Because of the layout, I don't think one speaker in each of 4 corners is ideal. First, the front speakers are behind the person speaking, and that is likely to cause problem with the microphones.

In the Four or Six center speaker scenario, the only precaution would be to get Center speakers that are NOT Rear Ported. Rear ported won't work because the speakers will need to be right against the walls.

Center speakers don't have exceptional low frequency response, but this is an educational environment, not an entertainment environment, and I think the lack of low frequency response will work in your favor. Plus, you will get some bass boost from being so close to the walls.

You could maybe use speaker similar to what you have, only they have to be a lot better speakers, and NOT mounted in the corners. Instead, whether similar speakers to what you have, or center type speakers, I think one pair should be between 1/4 and 1/3 of the way back from the front row, and the second set should be 1/4 to 1/3 of the way forward from the back row.

Think in terms of the seating or listening area, and not the entire size of the room, and place a pair of speakers along one side at 1/4 of the way down, and the next at 3/4 of the way down from the front. Or, you have to use some judgment, 1/3 of the way back and 2/3 of the way back along side one wall.

In a small room like this, don't make the PA do all the work. The PA should just re-enforce the natural speaking voice of the person giving the lecture. It should simply help his natural voice fill the room, not completely drown it out.

Another alternative would be ceiling speakers. Place similar to what I've already described (1/4, 3/4, or 1/3, 2/3) but place in the ceiling. Again, with small speakers like this, you can't expect them to do all the work. You have to look at them more as supporting or re-enforcing the lectures natural voice. You simply won't have a PA large enough to make it do all the work.

You'll have to have amp sufficient to drive the number of speakers you have in stereo. I don't think surround sound will work well in this environment or situation.

I still say you need a basic mixer, and likely one integrated amp driving the necessary number of basic power amps. In your situation, I don't see the need for massive power amps. Just something basic. PA power amps are much cheap than HiFi power amps, so that should be a problem.

But, which mixer, I'm not sure. Some mixers, as mentioned, have common Stereo AUX inputs. If your video sources (DVD Player) also have analog audio outputs, then it is a simple matter of plugging them together.

Some mixers have a separate channel for the AUX input, Some have these tied to specific mixer channels.

Having seen the room, though I don't know all the details of its use, I would say, maybe one wireless microphone for the standard lecturer. That way he can move around, he is not tied to a lecture stand. Then perhaps a couple of stand mount table top mics, if there is ever any kind of panel discussion going on. I did notice a head table at the front.

Now, all this said, I'm not a professional installer. I'm giving you my best guess as to what will work.

There are also a few makers of flat panel speakers. Bower Wilkin is one. Though I don't know how suitable these are for your purpose or how cheap -

BOWERS AND WILKINS FPM5 B&W FLAT PANEL SPEAKER (EACH) at hifix.co.uk

I'm suspecting these are pushing your budget a bit.

It might be worth taking your photos down to a music/PA store, and seeing what they recommend. I'm sure they will offer you some basic advice and help for free.

I suspect, their advice will be similar to mine.

That's about the best I can do. Though I do wish a few other would chime in with their opinions.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi,

our actual speakers sound bad, the sound quality is not good.

one of the uses of the room is using a Polycom telephone to call Irvine California, we connect the aux RCA output to our sound system.

Right now the voice quality is bad, on that speakers, is why we want a good quality system to get a very good sound quality on the calls with Irvine California.

Do you know where can i get BOWERS AND WILKINS on USA?

Thanks a lot for your time and support!!

Best regards!!

OK... ARE you in the USA, because that totally changes things.

This forum is primarily about UK audio equipment. But there are people here from around the world; USA, Canada, Australia, India, etc....

If you are in the USA, I can see if I can track down some USA sources. Shouldn't be too hard, even something like Best Buy is worth a look. I know in their larger stores they have musical instruments and PA equipment. So, they should have far more PA equipment on-line.

But, much like Dolphin Music and Hard-to-Find-Records, there are many music stores in the USA. Guitar Center is a national chain the caters to musicians -

GuitarCenter

Another good source for AV, Audio, DIY, and PA equipment is -

http://www.partsexperss.com/

Though more geared toward do-it-yourself, they are a good general resource.

I think for best voice reproduction, you are going to want to DE-emphasize bass. That doesn't mean no bass, but in a home stereo or AV system, bass is very important. But for spoken word, training videos, and phone conversations, it adds a muffled droning to the sound.

I can see how the stand mount PA speaker would be a difficult sell in that room, even though I think they would probably do the best job. But I revise my advice for 10" or 12" speakers, and think 8" would be better. Perhaps 8" front and rear, or 8" front, 6.5" rear.

If you go with more stereo-like speakers, or flat panel speakers, then I would say use more of them. At least two if not three on each side of the room. Again, some nice surround sound center speakers would work.

More speakers, means you can fill the room with less actual volume. As I mentioned, with just front speakers, it is going to be very loud at the front, and difficult to hear at the back. So, front and rear, or multiple side speakers will fill the room with sound of uniform level. Lower level means less strain on the speakers.

In terms of 'panel' speakers, I'm not aware of any specific America or available in the USA brands. I do recall that one company makes panel speakers that perfectly replace a ceiling tile in a hanging ceiling.

Again, Ceiling speakers wouldn't be a bad idea. But keep them away from the front, and placed over the audience. Speakers in the front area are going to cause feedback in the mics.

Again, if you get ceiling speakers, I still recommend full range 8" speakers. If you go with 6 speakers, then perhaps 6.5" might do.

Again, how you set the tone controls, can make a big difference. For voice, as in those conference calls, you want to turn the bass down to take the drone out of the voice and the strain out of the speakers.

Just a few more thoughts for now.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
One additional thought. Though your existing speakers are not adequate for the job, I'm curious how securely they are mounted.

Consider moving them from the corners to the side walls, two on each side, and see if the improves the sound at all? Also, if you can control it, ease up on the bass. If nothing else that might tell you if you are on the right track.

Also, here is another source of PA equipment in the USA -

Musicians Friend - On-Line Musical Instrument and Pro Audio Store

The Bower Wilkins, as found in the USA, are probably very good speakers, but they are not cheap -

http://www.google.com/products?q=B&W+FPM5+&hl=en&aq=f

And that price is EACH.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Hi Steve thanks a lot for your recommendations.

I read about that speakers brand name and all are very positive. as you recommendation, i want to get:

2 pair of Bowers & Wilkins 685 for front and rears

one MACKIE 1402 VLZ3 - 14 CHANNEL MIXING DESK- EACH

and for the Amp i need you advice on this!!

if i cannot get these speakers what other brand names are good?

Thanks and regards!!

OK ... Where are you? UK? USA? Other?

There is no sense recommending UK brands if you are in the USA. If you are somewhere other than the UK, Canada, or the USA, it complicates things more, not knowing what produces are available in your area.

I'm not sure you need a 14 channel mixer. I would suspect a 6 or 8 channel would be enough, though I'm not really clear how many potential inputs you have. Though, it is better to have too many than to have too few.

The choice of amps will somewhat be determined by your choice of speakers, and more than the specific speakers themselves will be the number of speakers. While the B&W 685 are well suited to audio tasks like AV, Music, and similar, I'm not sure how suited to the task of conference calling or PA applications they would be.

They are going to be far better than the speakers you have, but, for me, they still seem a little small.

Have you considered how you will mount the B&W 685's for best sound distribution?

The B&W 685 are rated at 8 ohms, with a note that they drop to a minimum of 3.7 ohms. That means you can probably use two pair of them safely on a PA amp, but I'm not sure how 2 pair would fair on a HiFi stereo amp.

Likely the speakers only drop to 3.7 ohms at one specific frequency, which minimizes the problem, but if you have amp problems it means you will have to buy a second amp; one amp for each pair of speakers. Again, this is something I can't predict because it depends on how the speakers are used.

However, with a nominal 8 ohm rating and a PA amp, I suspect it will work fine. PA amps are pretty rugged.

For PA amps, I would say anything in the 50w to 100w to 8 ohms range. You don't want to under power things, but you don't need to over power them either, so I think this range would be adequate for you. Keep in mind that PA power amps are much cheaper than HiFi power amps, and you should be able to get something well within your budget.

Steve/bluewizard

Im on USA, California,

Im hearing on amazon.com brandnames like polk audio, Bose. but im not sure which one is better.

Thanks again for your help.

best regards!!

On this forum I think polk audio is liked much more.

Im on USA, California,

Im hearing on amazon.com brandnames like polk audio, Bose. but im not sure which one is better.

best regards!!

I think you have to look at this with regard to the purpose. Yes, Polk Audio makes very well regarded speakers, as do many other. But that is irrelevant (to some extent), you have to look at your task, and what will accomplish that specific unique task.

Polk are great general audio speaker, and they come in a wide rang of prices, but will they do the job you need done?

I did have some luck searching Google for ON-wall speakers. But again, since I've never used them for your purpose, I can't specifically say how they will serve your purpose.

The Bower Wilkins bookshelf idea might work, but these are HiFi speakers, and again we get into the question of how and where to mount them. Before choosing them, you would have to resolve the How and Where mounting question.

I'm assuming your room has a suspended ceiling with removable ceiling tiles. That is very common in office spaces. If so, a series of in-ceiling speakers that are meant to specifically replace ceiling tiles might be an option. Or, if you can fabricate your own ceiling tile sized mounting panels, general in-ceiling speakers might work. Of which there are many, which in turn is part of the problem; which speaker to choose?

Also, did you consider moving your existing speaker to the side to see if there was any improvement. It might not, and most likely won't solve the basic problem, but it might tell you if that is a viable method for mounting the new speakers. I can't tell you that, one speaker in each corner of the room is less than ideal. And if you move them and experience any improvement, that is a sign you are on the right track.

Bose speaker WOULD NOT be appropriate for this application. If nothing else, do as I said, go down to Guitar Center or a similar store, there should be thousand of music stores in California, and get their opinions, and look at some of the options. To get the best results, take the series of photos you posted here, down to the store so they can get a sense of the room.

Plus make sure they and you understand all the connection you will need. For example, because of connections to non-PA sources like DVD and your speaker phone, you need AUX connections on your mixer. You also need to decide how many independent AUX connection you are going to need and to make sure you mixer has enough.

Just as it is here in this forum, so to it will be when you go to the store, the better your question, the better will be their answer.

Any of the sales staff will be happy to give you some suggestions for various pieces of equipment.

You don't have to follow their recommendations, but that can give you some sense of what equipment is out there, and you can get an opinion besides mine. Actual PA speaker, come in all sizes, from simple small 6.5" woofer up to big 15" woofers. There are a variety of mounting options. The PA speakers could be hung from chain from the ceiling. Or mounted on ridged bar coming down from the ceiling. I say this assuming part of the objection to the PA speaker on stands was the stands themselves.

I think literally seeing some of these options would give you some ideas for solutions.

This is a situation that demands an element of imagination in order to find solutions.

You could even have a sit-down with a professional installer. Just to discuss the options wouldn't cost that much. If you decide to have them do the job, you can get a quote from them, and if you decide to do it on your own, that's fine too, but at least you get a professional opinion.

There is a limit to what I can do without actually being there.

Yes, I know it is frustrating to have near infinite choices and not know which one to pick, but you need to focus on the job that needs to be done. For voice (as in the speaker phone) you need good midrange, and speaker and amp settings that do not emphasize bass.

For training videos, you need OK bass, but not great dominant bass like you would find in a home entertainment system.

You might start with an adequate mixer and a good basic stereo PA amp. You know that you are going to need them regardless of the speaker configuration. Then bring in some HiFi speakers, and see how they sound on a conference call and for basic PA. You might even be able to borrow a pair of small PA style speakers to try out. If they sound good for PA, Conference, and video, then you know you are on the right track. Then you can start focusing on how to implement them in the room.

Likely at the music store, you can audition some mixers, amps, speakers and mics. They can also advice you on the type and style of mic you need.

Just a few more thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your guide, now i can talk with a local audio professional to discuss the solutions and have a better idea.

Currently we have a page system installed on all plant, its a combination of horn and ceiling speakers, we use horn speakers on production lines and ceiling speakers on office, we use environmental music.

The system is VALCOM and we use ceiling 8" speakers, they have very good music and voice reproduction.

we have this speakers: http://www.valcom.com/lit_library/v1020cts.pdf
but if go with in ceiling maybe i will go with another brand, because VALCOM speakers needs his unique power supplies and receiver, maybe a Polk ceiling speakers and setup as your recommendation.

Let me talk with a local music supplier to see what he recommends, and i will let you know what will be my final decision.

Best regards!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom