1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound signal converter

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by richjthorpe, Sep 12, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

When I get my PC up and running, I've thought of a problem I might hit with my surround amp.

At the moment I use Pseudo Suround for Stereo input from Freeview and DD/DTS 5.1 for DVD playback. This switches automatically on the amp because there are 2 inputs and the amp remembers what signal to use (Eg, when I switch to TV for Freeview on the amp, it automatically selects Pseudo and when I select DVD it switches to 5.1).

When I hook up my PC to the amp, there will only be one connection through coaxial and therefore removing the switching capability on the amp. Is there a utility that can change a stereo signal into a 5.1 digital signal on the PC so that I can leave the amp on 5.1 or do I need a sound card for this ?

Thanks,

Richie.

2. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Hi Richie

your amp should differentiate between a stereo signal (pseudo surround as you say) and a proper 5.1 mix.

With my receiver, I leave it in Pro Logic mode for everyday TV watching and when a DVD is played it picks up the Dolby Digital/DTS signal no problem and switches on the appropriate decoder.

This is using the NVIDIA decoder.

D.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Fair enough, I'll try that when I get it set up.

Thanks,

Richie.