Sound settings for my home system

sutty451

Novice Member
Hi all. I have just set up a new Hisense 65Q8 with a Sonos Beam and Nvidia shield pro.
I have the tv ARC into the Beam via HDMI, and the shield connected to the tv by HDMI. I have two sonos Play:1's set up as rear surrounds.

Each device has its own audio settings. Im not sure what they should be, and my beam output shows as 'PCM' on the sonos app.

I played a dolby surround clip via youtube (from the shield) and the speakers seemed to work fine, I had trees rustling behind me etc etc.
However, when streaming most content from the shield the rear speakers seem pretty much silent and my output on the shield app is PCM.

Does anyone have this (or similar) setup and can advise what the audio setting are for each device in order to get the best output?

Many thanks in advance.

next010

Distinguished Member
HDMI-ARC only supports PCM 2.0 (stereo) and Dolby/DTS 5.1.

For Shield to pass Dolby/DTS.
Settings >Device Preferences >Display & Sound >Advanced Sound Settings >Surround Sound >Dolby Audio Processing >Available Formats >select Auto

Some TV's require that you enable Dolby/DTS in the ARC system, they will default to stereo/PCM.

Note that the Youtube app is not trustworthy for testing surround sound as it uses a fake upmixer.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom