Sound reduction through thin walls

MilleniumX

Novice Member
Hi

I have a TV which I place against the wall. The wall is a thin wall (the type where if u knock and it will sound hollow). On the other side is my neighbour's bedroom. He came over a couple of times when I was watching TV to ask me to turn down the volume. However, my TV (a Panasonic) volume was only 25. I would like to help to situation and am considering a couple of options:

1) Buying a soundbar
- As the speakers of the TV is at the back of the TV, the sound is transmitted directly into the wall. If I buy a soundbar which changes the direction of the sound away from the wall, will this help the situation at all? Issue with soundbars is that you may turn up the volume just to hear the best sound, and will that make the situation worse despite the soundbar directing the sound away from the wall?

2) Cheap foam
Put some cheap foam behind the TV just covering the area behind the TV so as to block any "direct" sound hitting the wall. Any ideas what I can buy?

I would prefer option 1 if that works as I am already thinking of getting a soundbar (with a sub), but if that makes the situation worse, I am need to reconsider.

Thanks

kerbys

Sound bar will be the same if not worse as volume and bass will be higher.. is it a rental property? i would suggest put acoustic plasterboard panels double skined over the wall. Alot of work and sounds extreme, however if he can hear you watching tv what else can he hear?

MilleniumX

Novice Member
Sound bar will be the same if not worse as volume and bass will be higher.. is it a rental property? i would suggest put acoustic plasterboard panels double skined over the wall. Alot of work and sounds extreme, however if he can hear you watching tv what else can he hear?

Yes its a rented property. His general complain was that the TV is against the wall and he wants me to shift it. He said the previous tenant moved the TV and it was fine for him. Issue is that my TV is now larger and I wouldn't have space anywhere else to move it to. Considering that he felt the "direction" of the sound against the wall is the issue, I was hoping a sound bar would redirect the sound towards the room and gets defused into the furniture.

As for Bass, does it help if I get one of those foam thing which can be placed under the Sub to absorb some of the vibrations?

Given that mine is a rented property, I cannot add/drill anything to the walls, except buying any board/foam which I can put behind the TV

kerbys

Acoustic foam does help. you will need to glue it to the wall behind the tv. don't cover the tv's vents otherwise the tv wont have ventilation.

Cocksure

Have you spoken to your Landlord about it? They wont sound proof it for you, but if a tenant came to me and said they wanted to sound proof a wall (yes I'm a landlord), i would certainly not have an issue with it and i dout they would :) as it benefits them when you move out

MilleniumX

Novice Member
Have you spoken to your Landlord about it? They wont sound proof it for you, but if a tenant came to me and said they wanted to sound proof a wall (yes I'm a landlord), i would certainly not have an issue with it and i dout they would :) as it benefits them when you move out

Yeah, you are probably right. But my preferred option is to get a sound bar so that it benefits me (with better sound, and I can take it away) instead. My concern is I'm not sure of the sound bar will really "reduce" the sound. I did try to turn my tv around just to hear how loud it will be if the sound was blasting straight at me. It's indeed a little louder, so hopefully a sound bar can do the trick

Cocksure

might not be a bad idea to have a word with your neighbour to see exactly what noise is coming through. ie turn the tv on and go into his bedroom to see what noise frequency is getting through before you do anything else. Its in his interest after all

MilleniumX

Novice Member
Good idea, thanks. I think my neighbour is away for Christmas, so I wont have a chance to speak with him.

On a related question, I am looking at the Philips HTL5140 Soundbar. I understand that most soundbars are designed to be placed in front of the TV, but if possible, I would like to put it above the TV as I have a built-in shelf that I can just nicely put it on. The question is whether that will affect the "direction" which the sound is designed to project towards, like is it optimal to have it below the TV instead?

Also, in terms of the Sub, is it okay to put it beside my sofa instead of beside the TV? I want to try to avoid too much vibrations/sound going through the walls. Not sure if it helps but doing everything I can.

Cocksure

having a sound bar above your tv is not an issue as such, however it can cause problems (just as having it below your tv can)

The trouble that can happen is that you get disjointed sound with the picture, ie your eyes are looking one way and the sound is coming from another direction which confuses your brain.

Think of it this way, if you placed the speaker behind you but kept the tv in front how odd would it be when you came to watching tv

Simple answer is to try it and see if theirs an issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom