Sound Recording problems from Freeview

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Richard Morris, Sep 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Richard Morris

Richard Morris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed when trying to record on my Sharp video from my Grundig Freeview that that sound is often muffled. I don't think it is the tape or the VCR as I've since used the same tape (admittedly basic quality) to record from the analogue signal for BBC1 etc. I did record from Sky up to 1999 but I had an analogue signal so I guess this wasn't an issue.

WIthout trying to show my age, it reminds me of a time long before CD rewriters, when people first started to tape CD's onto tape cassette. Sounds at the top and bottom of the octave range were poorer due to the tape's inability to pick up the sound. TDK etc brought out tapes for CD recording, but of course it never sounded anything like as good as the original CD.

Has anyone else noticed this ? Perhaps something that Sky digital viewers might also suffer from ? Any advice as to whether it is resolvable ?

NB Getting a Toshiba Vcr 753 shortly as part of a TV/DVD package but I guess it may be a similar issue.

Thanks,

Richard

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Can't say that I have. Maybe it is simply that my hearing isn't that critical, who knows, but using both an old ex OnDig box, and a Pace Twin, the sound of recordings on SVHS HiFi are pretty much indistinguishable from as broadcast, when replayed on the same machine.

Theoretically (and, in practice in my experience) a VHS HiFi or SVHS HiFi machine will record sound without spoiling it to any great extent.

Silly question - but it IS a HfI machine you are using, and you ARE listening to the HiFi track?

3. Richard Morris

Richard Morris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure I follow - what is an HfI machine ? Do you mean HiFi as in the old hi fidelity or is this something newer? Sorry, I'm not very technical.

My concern is the sound from the video recording using my 1 year old (but cheap - £100) Sharp video machine on my 9 year old panasonic TV, recorded from the freeview signal (I don't have Sky), in this case the History channel. This sounds muffled - in fact I actually had to play it on full volume to distinguish some of the sounds.

Not only did I notice this but my wife also did - she decided to stop watching eventually as it became too annoying.

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Sorry, keyboard error. It should have said HiFi.

Anyhow:

> if the VCR in use is a regular VHS machine without provision for a HiFi (trying to spell it right) soundtrack, then it is highly probable that it will sound muffled, and probably mono

> if the VCR is a HiFi one, but you have selected the non-HiFi soundtrack for replay, then it will also sound muffled, and probably mono.

In both cases, this is because the 'traditional' (ie, non HiFi) soundtrack on VHS is intrinsically of poor quality and, in most cases, mono.

You should be able to work this out from the VCR manual - all HiFi machines (as far as I know) offer you the choice of the two soundtracks - regular or HiFi. If there is no such choice, it may well be that it isn't a HiFi machine. If there is such a choice, make sure you have selected the HiFi track.

If you ARE, however, listening to a HiFi soundtrack, then I see no obvious reason why the replayed sound would differ significantly from the source.

5. Richard Morris

Richard Morris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - will check this out.

6. Richard Morris

Richard Morris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel - tried it and it seems to work - Many thanks for the tip.

Makes you wonder why they even offer the choice of mono.

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Glad to have helped. The reason that mono is provided for, is that it maintains compatibility with pre-HiFi tapes. If set right, your machine will automatically detect a HiFi soundtrack and play it by default. And, if there isn't one, it will play the regular soundtrack. I guess you had somehow over-ridden this setiing and had forced the machine to always play the regular soundtrack.

The reason for giving you this choice is that, with some machines, you can replace (ie overdub) either the picture or the sound (eg to place some music over your home videos etc). HiFi soundtracks are embedded within the picture (magnetically) whereas regular soundtracks are on a separate part of the tape (along one edge). So, when doing this type of editing, the HiFi soundtrack cannot be separated from the picture. The regular soundtrack can. So if you produce such a tape, you can only watch the revised mix of picture and sound using the regular soundtrack.