1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound quality of the Sony HD3

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by aund, Jul 13, 2005.

1. aund

aund
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has probably been reported before, and I know there are threads about the quality of compression with ATRAC and the obvious volume problems that disappointed me a great deal, but I want to share this to see if anyone else agrees.

I returnd my HD3 to Sony as it broke in flight last month. While it was away I decided to re record alll my CD s (about 300+). I deleted all the ones on 64kbps and did them again on 256kbps Atrac 3+. This was because the CDs previously recorded on 64 sounded terrible, flat and one dimentional with a very low volume.

Now the music has some life in it and I regret compressing it so much. I put the digital sound preset to max, got a pair of Sony headphones with noise reduction and it sounds pretty impressive.

The point I wanted to make was, where did all this guff come from about compression with Atrac without deterioration to the sound? I makes a huge difference.

Perhaps alot of people could have avoided doing in their warranty by changing the volume control or worse breaking the machine.

Any thoughts?

Aund

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    what are you trying to say?

of course compressing music deteriorates the SQ, one can't logically argue with that. However one can try to find a happy middle ground between file size and highest possible SQ with compression.

I think you'll find that people mean that they can't personally hear a difference between compressed and CD. If people are happy, then you don't neccessarily need to use a lossless format for instance.

I have no idea who would honestly claim Atrac 64kbps would offer any decent sort of SQ. Especially compared to Atrac 256kbps, about 4 times the quality mathematically.

why would removing the volume limit void your warranty? It doesn't. Many including myself who have returned HD1/3/5 to Sony, find Sony still honour the warranty even with volume limit off.

And how could anyone break the machine? Seriously most who remove the volume limit know very well not to mess with anything else in the service menu. Thats common sense.

what are you trying to say? I repeat my 1st line because you go from talking about SQ in relation to different bitrates, to voiding your warranty by removing the volume limit?

Edit: who's
    ?

3. aund

aund
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand corrected, so much mis information and speculation that i must have taken the warranty thing from other threads seriously. Also, I guess I find it hard to believe some people dont notice loss of quality from compression (and I`m in no way a hifi buff)

I want to alert people who, like me thought the HD3 was very ppoor sound, how to remedy it, thats all.

Thaks for your reply.