Sound quality of the Shuffle compared to other iPods

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by saguy, Dec 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. saguy

saguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have never had a portable mp3 player so I cannot compare sound quality of these devices so how does it compare to other iPods or portable media players. I have just bought a shuffle and I am not that happy with the sound quality. The sound is flat, with very little separation or have I just been spoilt with my other top end gear. I am using the standard earphones and using the default 128 kbps compression. I have ordered Koss KSC-75 headphones which hopefully improve the sound.

Does anybody know what the law is on returning electronic goods that have been opened (Curry's) as I would like to replace it with a better quality player?

2. djmetsandy

djmetsandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'm guessing it will just be the standard headphones that are crud..

i do not and have never owned a Ipod but from past history of other mp3 players / cd player/ tape players the supplied headphones are never really that good!

and i wouldnt expect ipod to bring out a bad quality product expecially when MS is up the *ahem*!

3. saguy

saguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am going to answer my own question as I did a general search on Google and at the Head-Fi forums and the overwhelming consensus seems to be the shuffle's sound quality is fairly good - better than the other solid state memory and better than the hard rive iPods. I guess I have been spoilt with my Grado's with headphone amplifier. I will have to wait and see what the other headphones do.

4. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    The shuffle is a pretty good sounding MP3 player, bundled with pretty rubbish earphones. Replacements will help, but won't be a patch on what you're used to with your Grado's though!

Also, remember at 128 Kbps you are sacrificing sound quality for storage....tunes will sound thin. Try using a higher bit rate, and you should be impressed. We generally recommend 224 or 260 kbps.

5. saguy

saguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was expecting a fair drop in quality but not as much as I experienced with the standard headphones. Anyway I've just got home from work and I have plugged in my Sens HD 590's and what a contrast - better than I was expecting. Unfortunately I will not be able to go better quality than 128 Kbps as I only have a gig. I am interested to hear what the Koss KSC-75 that I have ordered sound like.