1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound quality from CDs on Sony 1070

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ayrton, Mar 6, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Ayrton

Ayrton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Watching DVDs through my amp (see kit below) is fantastic. I'm not as satisfied with the sound from CD's though - is this a feature of the amp? Something I hav to put up with? Or is there something I can do to improve the sound?

2. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It seems to be the amp's problem, if you do a search for the 1070 you'll come across a few complaints about it... It seems to be worse when the cd player is hooked up to the amp by a digital connection (and if your using your dvd player for cd's then it'll be even worse as most of them are pretty bad at playing them compaired to dedicated cd players).

Some people seemed to get better results by playing their cd's with an analogue connection to the amp...

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    If you want to improve the quality of sound for 2ch stereo music ... the best thing to do would be to buy a decent stereo integrated amp, attach the left and right front outputs to a spare line in on this, along with attaching a dedicated CD player to it as well. You then calibrate the stereo amp with a sound meter or just your ears and the AV amps test tone to be at the same level as the speakers attached to the AV amp - mark this setting on the volume dial.

When you want to listen to CDs, set the volume to a suitable level, select the CD input and you'll have the best quality for music.

When you want to use your DVD or other AV source, select the AUX (or whatever input on the stereo amp), turn the volume to the level previously calibrated and select the relevant source on your AV amp and you'll have lost nothing (maybe even gained) for AV.

Vikki