1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound Quality and DIY ??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by oldguy, Mar 15, 2005.

1. oldguy

oldguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    help ! Total novice !

I'm currently considering extending my av kit which will invlove extending the speaker cabling on my Sony DVD / 5.1 home theatre player.

The current cable has "VW-1 80 oC 300V 22AWG/2 DAE Young LL98451" on it

???? ( or so it looks like this under a magnifying glass )

For a "oldguy" such as myself does it really affect the sound quality if I use "normal" speaker wire ?

I want something as small as the original ( each cable is about 1mm diameter ), I've seen stuff in richer sounds but it's huge compared to the original

Any help appreciated !

2. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Oldguy,

Welcome to the forums :thumbsup:.

DIY is very popular around here and hence many forms of speaker cable may be considered 'normal', but I know what you mean.

I'm assuming that you have an 'all in one' DVD/Amplifier/Speakers system? If you use a cable similar to that supplied you will be fine. Maplins have a number of options.

Will you have any special requirements for terminating the cables at either the amplifier or speaker end?

3. oldguy

oldguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dermot,

yes it's an all-in-one

I actually want to route the cables beneath the floor ( Hardwood ) and was going to look for some kind of "socket" to mount flush with the floor.

Have seen the banana plugs and wallplates which look a bit bulky to be coming out of the floor.

Is there anything else I could use ?

I've searched for what I considered "normal" sockets on a wallplate i.e the small clamps you find on the back of most stereos, which you press and push the wire into, but can't find anything like that. Also wasn't sure again if this would affect sound quality, having said that these are exactly whats on the back of the Sony speakers.

Since yesterday I think I've identified the cable - QED silver micro ( it helps to read the other threads ) - not cheap though is it ?

cheers

Oldguy

4. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Could you bring the cables up at the edge of the flooring and mount an outlet box on the skirting or wall?

You could use phono sockets as an alternative. although I'm not sure what's commercially available. If you wanted to make something up Maplins would have all the 'bits'

They're not considered 'Hi-Fi'. Probably best not to have too many of them in your cabling :)

No it's not. There are other even flatter cables but these are even more expensive, and overkill for the system you have at the moment. Although if you are going to the trouble of putting cables under the floor it's worth considering if you might want to upgrade your speakers in the future?

Have you any options to cut a channel in the subfloor or underlay, to increase your options? Standard mains Twin & Earth cable costs pennies and will give you all the sound quality you need, if you can find an acceptable way to route it.