Sound proofing the Party wall in a New house.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by clarky78, Aug 4, 2006.

1. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    OK, we have had issues with the soundproofing in the new house since we moved in and have had the NHBC involved, but I don't think things are getting solved. Basically, new neighbours moved in yesterday, with 2 1/2 kids (pregnant), this morning I was woke up with screaming kids and banging...

We want to soundproof the partys walls but, obviously want to improve the bedroom and lounge, infact preferably the whole side of the house!

It isn't practical or economically viable to build stud sound blocking walls in every room in our already small muse house.

The wall construction is dob and dab plaster board over high density (I believe) beeze block, then the same the otherside. Can we get Rockwool blown in to the cavity, or even into the small space between the plaster board and the breeze block? Would this even help? From speaking with the NHBC and builders it seems that air is what they use, and nothing is put into the cavity except sound socks either end. I'm still convinced the house is built wrong ( the opposite wall was ) but I need to find a realistic solution without having to spend £000's. Moving isn't really an option...

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    This is a quote from IR832 National Research Council Canada, sorry I cannot post the link as they seem to be disabled on this forum.

"Experimental studies have shown that adding fibrous material to the cavity of a wall can significantly enhance the attenuation of airborne sound."

I would also recommend viewing the Green Glue Company pages for information including hints & tips with sound proofing.

3. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,615
    I had a Home Cinema cellar conversion and needed soundproofing between ourselves and nextdoor.

By brother, who did the work, had previously done a job at a music school which had soundrpoofed things perfectly, and replicated the technique for us.

I'd been moved into the cinema, watching films at reference level for 3 months, and my neighbour didn't even know the cinema had been installed.

The solution?

Add a false wall. Or two. Or as many as you can fit. Every extra layer of wall and every extra air space insultes sound. So, just add a new wall - plasterboard on a metal frame, with a gap of air between it and the original wall. Put some insulation in too if you want, but make sure there's a gap, no matter how small.

It might make your room 6 inches shorter, but it works.

Steve W

4. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    So it seems the only way around this is to impose on my house? The thing is this is not particularly for home cinema use, but because the party wall is crap. So I'd have to do all the rooms along the party wall :( Which would of course be very expensive.

5. Deep Joy

Deep Joy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1st of all, new houses are built to the minimum required standards, with the minimum of cost and with the greatest of speed.
    I have soundproofed various party walls for clients, and you can forget trying to introduce something like polystyrene particles or similar into what little void there maybe created by the 'dot and dab' drylining method.
    The wall needs to be lined again. A reasonably successful method is as follows, and I will do my best to explain:
    Fix 2" x 1" sawn softwood battens at 600mm c/cs vertically, to align with plasterboard edges, fixed later. Depending on what the distance is between the existing face of the plasterboard and the solid party wall, will determing the length of screws - min/max penetration into the wall should be 1" - 1 1/2".
    If the gap is considerable, then consider using plasterboard fixings instead.
    Between the battens, cut and fix rockwool slabs 1" thick. Hold them in place by twisting a drywall screw through it in places into the exising wall.
    Buy some cork strip, and fix to the face of the battens.
    Fix, and I think British Gypsum, Knauf or Lafarge still do them, a denser plasterboard, 1/2" thick especially for sound insulation. It used to be called SoundBlok. Lay this horizontally (long edge on the ground.) Then lay a second layer vertically, catching your battens nicely, and fix al boards at 250mm c/cs.
    Scrim the joints and skim plaster over. Fix skirting to finish off.

This is a job for a professional, but it works. It will make that room smaller by 2".
    I hope this is of some help and all the best with whatever you decide to do.

6. Neil Davidson

Neil Davidson
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Kind of like Deep Joy said, you may want to consider a product like green glue in place of the rockwool. Rockwool does not have great sound insulation properties compared to products designed for the purpose.

I am afraid that whatever way you look at it this could be an expesnsive and messy job if you need total coverage of the party wall. You should only lose a couple of inches from the room width though.

Neil

7. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks for the info, I have done much research since I posted this.

I am confused slightly though, as attaching battens to the existing wall directly isn't going to have much effect surely? Doesn't it need to be decoupled? i.e attached to floor/ceiling only?

I cannot seem to find who imports green glue into this country?

My Girlfriends dad is a builder and enquired at there suppliers who came up with this: http://www.british-gypsum.bpb.com/immediacy-1177-sc=sc1.

The consideration is to use the above technique but only one half, with a small gap to the existing plasterboard. I considered putting green glue between the 2 layers of Soundbloc board to enhance the benefit.

But though we will only loose a few inchs to the room (either side of the fireplace which is the party wall we have issues with), I'm concerned about flanking noise through the floor etc causing our work to be useless. I suspect a difference, but after reading the informative greenglue site, it concerns me all this may only have a minor overall effect combined with flanking noise.

8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
  9. chris1976

chris1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    hi,clarky
    how did you get on

10. hig

hig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    that green glue looks expensive as fook...
    About £90 for a 12 tube case and you need at least about 10-12 tubes for an average wall....

I also have same problem with new neighbours and noise, they wake our 1yr old almost every night.
    After much research on web over last few weeks looking on dozens of sites and posting on dozens of forums, i decided on doing this on the party wall in the babys bedroom....

A layer of insulation tiles from Wickes.
    They are 50 or 30mil thick and they do 2 types general purpose and heavy duty. They are fabric and are glued to the wall with floor/wall tile adhesive.
    Then gonna apply TWO layers of 25mm Gypsum Sound-bloc board over that. Approx room loss is only 50mm.

I am going to do this soon, sometime this week hopefully, and will post any results!

11. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    it wont stop all the low frequency coming through but will certainly help

12. hig

hig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I am sure his 2yr old is robocop from the noise of his footsteps everynight, STOMP, STOMP, STOMP, and him chasing him round at 11pm going "daddys coming to get you, WOOOO, WOOOO" etc

If it stops that [email protected] waking OUR baby then its money well spent..
    She sleeps through my home cinema going underneath and huge thunderstorms and cars pulling up/going and beeping horns outside, but this pr!ck is so noisy he wakes her up most nights with his shouting....

13. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    best way to work out how much you need is to say 2 tubes to a sheet of 8x4 plasterboard. you can pay far more for other solutions, so its not THAT costly

14. pottydave

pottydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi
    I am very interested in reading the above sugestions regarding the sound proofing of a joint party wall. I was wondering if any one could help me out with a little extra advice. We are about to start to build a new double extension, with the view to install a full 7.1 home cinema system in the new games room. I was wondering what to do about the ceiling of the games room, because it’s directly below the master bedroom. Does anyone have any suggestions, in terms of sound proofing for the games room ceiling? :lease:

15. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Have a look at http://www.greengluecompany.com/upgradingExistingFloors.php

16. freero

freero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Does anybody know if using normal silcone instead of green glue would have a similar effect?

17. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    unlikely, greenglue was developed specially for the task, if silicon worked we would be using that instead:smashin: