1. Join Now

    AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound proofing (paying someone to come in)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Eoghan, May 22, 2005.

  1. Eoghan


    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I am currently purchasing a terraced house and I have a fairly high quality home entertaiment system which after spending alot on I would like to feel I can use it any time day or night at fairly high volume. I am considering sound proofing my sitting room it would be have to be fairly high level of sound proof i want as little or no sound at all going through to the neighbours and i am just twant get around about idea of how much u think will cost to pay somone to come in and do it im not really into the diy side of things. It is a fairly small room 4.84x3.41m. the only reason i am sound proofing is so not to disturb the neighbours. my budget would be around 2,500 euros basically what i am posting for is to see if people think it could be done for this price or how much you would reckon i would be lookin at
  2. Gary Lightfoot

    Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

    Apr 6, 2001
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Trophy Points:
    Surrey. UK.
    Proper soundproofing will need new walls fitted an inch away from your existing wall that is between you and your neighbour. The new wall will be made from 4" x 2", filled with insulation and will have two layers of plasterboard attached, so you will lose 6" from you room for each wall that is soundproofed.

    There is a little more to it than that, but that will reduce the sound noticabley.

    Bass travel is very difficult to stop in terraced houses because you are physically attached to the houses either side and bass travels via transmission, so unless you build a room within a room the neighbours will still hear the 'thump thump' of your bass.


Share This Page