Sound proofing party wall

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Grayman, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    We live in a semi detached house, approximately 10 years old, and the noise insulation between the houses is terrible!!

Our main bedroom is against the party wall, and our neighbour is seriously bad with TV noise till all hours, stomping accross the floor at all hours, dog barking all the time, and even having parties till 3/4 in the morning.

Despite talking to him the situation isn't improving (want to avoid the "direct" next step of punching him in the head at 3AM), and im tired of living according to his sleeping habits, so want a good sound proofing solution on the party walls to improve things.

I want to keep space to a maximum as our rooms arent big, and have come accross a few DIY solutions that look that they may do the job, but want advice from anyone who may have done similar, and also an indication of what a (for example) 16db increase in acoustic privacy would actually equate too in real terms.

Solution one: Wall Soundproofing Solution 1: SoundStop Panels Id get the one with ther acoustic plaster board attached, so up to 16db reduction.

Solution two: party wall domestic soundproofing Similar to the above although noise reduction claims seem higher, again id use acoustic plaster board.

Problem is also we'd need to extend plug sockets, cut areas for plugs and sockets and the like, so Im considering finding a DIY person to do the install for me, im in Kent (near Maidstone) if there is anyone that can be recommended, or someone off here who would do it.

I would want to do the lounge as well but have the TV bolted to the wall, suppose id have to put it around the bracket and hope not much noise would come through that area as we also get noise coming through the lounge wall and up through the bedroom floor. Might also look at replacing the underlay in the bedroom with acoutsic type underlay.

Really looking for people who have done similar for recommendations, and to ensure it's not money wasted.

Cheers
    Graham

2. ajwatson

ajwatson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Check out this disccuion http://www.avforums.com/forums/room...n/904032-insulation-advice-needed-please.html

By the way you dont have to worry about the tv bracket aslong as u double board the wall properly, and use long enough coach bolts and an incressed number of fixingsu should only have a build up of 25/30mm max if u discided to scim aswell as boardout

Im an architect by trade and if you have any questions once uve read bang um over and ill try to help ya.

3. andy900uk

andy900uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i had this problem a few yrs back when i lived in a cottage.what seemed to work for me was setting my alarm for 3 am on a mon morning slipping downstairs ,putting the stereo speakers against the wall and whacking a bit of prodigy on for half an hr at nr full volume, did this once or twice and they seemed to get the message.Soundblock does work pretty well i would build some studwork and fill it with rockwool and maybe 2 layers of soundblock.
    Andy

4. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  5. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks for the pointers so far, can't really do the alarm option Andy because we have an 18 month old in the house, and this is another reason it is annoying me so much, he knows we have a youngster and yet is completely inconsiderate.

I actually did end up setting off the alarm on friday night when I ended up speaking to him, but not on purpose, when I got up I was livid and ready to rip his head off, so it's pitch black, I get up, storm towards the party wall and do a front kick to make the bang to end all bands and make him aware it's a tad incosiderate having music blaring at 3AM. Unfortunately I landed the kick flat on the alarm panic button, it shattered into a hundred pieces and the alarm went off.

I managed to calm down a tad by the time I got to his front door, calld him outside and managed to speak as opposed to shout or threaten, hoped it'd work but after a day or two he slips back to making a lot of noise again at all hours.

The only option I have is soundproofing, I want to feel like it's our house and not always be aware of him being there, he is always up till about midnight at least making a lot of different noise and what's the point of paying a mahoosive mortgage to live in what feels like a house share!!

The Wyckes option looks nice and cheap, and also easy to do, but might spend a couple grand or so and get the whole party wall, including dining room and kids room done with the soundstop stuff, it looks like it might outperform the Wyckes stuff (though not sure).

Just got to decide whether to pay someone or do it myself, if anyone knows of a good DIY or soundproofing person in Kent, let me know and Ill get a quote or two, and if anyone else has ideas or recommendations on what to use, let me know too.

Cheers

6. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if it was mentioned, but don't forget the wall area under floors, above ceilings...

7. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Do you think I could avoid doing the wall area under the floor if I use a soundproofing underlay? It's very difficult to access as it's those horrible new build MDF boards as opposed to proper floor boards, would make it a much bigger job (but maybe worth it).

At this point if we could get a good price for the house I think Id suggest moving!! This is going to end up costing a LOT of money to do right I imagine.

8. steeevo1

steeevo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi there
    just a thought here, have you thought about having the party wall cavilty wall insulated, we had all ourr house done a few years ago and the biggest differnace we noticed was the soundproofing , i think the government are doing schemes now as well where they will pay about 70% of the cost for there green scheme.....the other option dependent on looks of course is to carpet the wall, it can look cool and it deffinatly makes a differance with the sound
    just a couple of thoughts.....good luck.....steve

9. andy900uk

andy900uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    well instead of speakers just hold the baby against the wall lol.seriously though i know how you feel i had the same problem for about 6 months until they moved, its amazing how enraged it makes you i did the stomp around thing about 3 in the morning when they had a party i had already phoned police all they said was phone council and all they said was call police, by which time i was boiling, i went around and thrashed on the door and shouted , the music stopped but nobody came out which i am glad about because if they had of done i would of taken them all on as i was that revved up which prob would not of ended well for me. anyway good luck and try not to boil over, i really do feel for you.
    Andy. (very happy in his detached house)

10. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks again guys, think maybe moving is a potential answer now, but in the current climate we're not going to get a lot for our house, aint it fun how inconsiderate people get away with this stuff.

11. JasonE

JasonE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but I cant belive you are considering spending your money to solve the problem , its your house , you shouldnt have to go to these extemes. The local authorities/councils take this problem of noise polution/anti-social behaviour quite seriously these days.
    I would have another quite/calm word with him an explain that if he doesnt change his ways then you will contacting the authorites. The first thing they will do is ask you to gather evidence such as recordings and diaries. Hopefully this will be enough for him to stop his selfish behaviour.

12. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Ill give that a go, start recording things and making a note of exactly when the noise stops and starts, I dont have a huge amount of faith in the council to be honest, but suppsoe it has to be worth a try.

13. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but the industry ain't stupid, all they've done is put the retail price of these "greenwash" insulation products up to take advantage of the double bubble. If you go to an independent and pay for yourself you can prob get cavity wall insulation for less than the big boys charge you even after the grants etc. I love capitalism.

14. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Agreed, get in touch with the local environmental health officer, they will supply all the recording equipment and act as a mediator. If your neighbour does not comply in the opinion of the EHO then they will act.

Its a simple and pretty quick process.

Sound proofing is unlikely to have a huge effect due to the transient and beat nature of the noise.

Dupe...

15. Placemat

Placemat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I third that.

The Noise Act 1996 was put in place to deal with this very problem. I really recommend you contact your local authority and speak to their EHO.

16. ajwatson

ajwatson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I fourth it, thats def the way to go buddy.

However personaly if i was in your possition id probaly go round a do something id probabley regret when the police turn up at the door afterwards aswell as the ambulance to remove his stereo from his back passage.

Totaly sympothisie with you buddy.

Other options include packling the kids and the mrs off for a couple of days having your mates round and throughing a whole weekend bender, with evervything turned up as load as possible and don't let him sleep for 3 days (this prob be the most fun aswell)!!!:smashin:

17. andy900uk

andy900uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Like it

18. madprofessor

madprofessor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you do have to resort to adding sound proofing, given that you're concerned that it'd make your rooms smaller, it'd be nice if he'd consent to having half of the sound proofing installed in his half ...

I'm no expert in sound proofing but density and separation are (if I remember correctly) the main factors. If you firmly fix the new skin on top of the old, it all vibrates together and doesn't soundproof so well.

19. Andyjc

Andyjc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    unfortunately, he sounds like the type of character that would knock on your door and ask to join the party!

good luck with getting it resolved...

i personally think going halves on the sound proofing could be a very good option.

20. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Small update, had a quote for the DIY side of the fitting for all 4 rooms that back onto the party wall and it comes in at £1500, added to the cost of the product and it's around the £7k mark all in, but that would make a massive difference as the party wall would be completely covered.

I may see if the neighbour would do the same but I can't see it.

Might start with two rooms and do the other two at a later date. If I go ahead Ill be sure to take some pics of the process and give an idea on the difference, as im sure there are a number of other people considering a similar solution.

21. peepingtom

peepingtom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    i feel for you mate .... have ongoing problems with my lovely neighbours ... theyre renting so dont give a crap..... i paid a company to install a rockwool insulation solution ... made a difference but can still hear them when they play music with bass ..... i have been very close to doing something very bad to them a few times...but the missis has held me together ..... my main problem is we live in a terraced house so cant even whack up the amp full blast and bugger off for a week as its unfair to them. we are taking out the laminate flooring and carpeting next ... i think that would make the most difference

22. ajwatson

ajwatson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I don't see how its fair that u shoud do the soundproofing to prevent his noise! It should e him doing it, i can understand u feeling that u might be load so u then putting it up youself (being a good neighbour and all that).

Have you spoke to the council about the sound noise yet? What did they have to say if you did?

23. peteboy

peteboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had some problems with neigbour noise (really loud) a couple of years ago and got on to soundproofing forum: Soundproofing and noise soundproofing acoustic products

They said the only way to get the sort of noise reduction I wanted was to start hanging lead sheets on the walls.

In the end I found it was cheaper to move house than pay 15k for soundproofing work!

24. paul220999

paul220999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    See my reply at 'Wall soundproofing - advice needed' - it may help you, although I agree with the others that it shoudn't be up to you to do it - still, this is the real world and we have to take matters into our own hands even if it costs us money in the end. The council, however well intentioned they may seem are largely toothless, not because they lack the tools to do the job but becase they lack the will to take on troublesome neighbors - UNLESS you make yourself a nuisance to them by constant phone calls and letter writing, making sure to keep a full record of every exchange that you have (good or bad) either with them or your neighbor. That's it, rant is now over!!

Hope you get sorted. Regards Paul

25. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Quick update, after a few more conversations with the neighbour thigns are a lot better, but due to it being a new build even general TV noise late at night comes through the walls.

We are getting soundproofing done and had a quote done which we have accepted. We're going with Ainsworth insulation AINSWORTH INSULATION, the chap that gave the quote was very professional and they offer a complete service (sockets, coving, skirting etc) so all you have to do is paint/decorate as you choose once they've finished.

The quotes are very good (about £1000 per room), and he showed me the product. It sits on metal strips which allow for a cushion of air between the wall and the soundproofing material, then a good dense layer of soundproofing with thick accoustic plasterboard on top. Very comprehensive and should improve things by 50%.

I cant wait, may get the other two walls done at some point but for now I imagine it'll be a massive improvement, and even from our side Ill be able to play music and movies at a decent volume without thinking it may be affecting him.

We're going to keep it quiet (Ainsworth purposely arrive in unmarked vans to prevent neighbours knowing you have soundproofing) so that he doesnt start thinking he can crank the volume, and Ill let you all know how it all goes once it gets installed at the end of this month.

26. JamesDavison

JamesDavison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sounds good. The prices don't sound too bad either actually. I would be really interested to hear (lol) how much difference it makes after it's been done. Please please post pictures of each stage of installation, this is something I've looked at myself in great detail before and it interests me a lot.

Is it this type of thing you are having done? rbars_battening_2
    (click "See Next Step" - several times)

I actually live near you - I checked out their website and it has pictures of van's with their name etc down the side - did you ask them to purposely come round in an unmraked van? Or do they just do that when it's a sound insulation job?

27. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Simon, they dont actually use any filler (like mineral wool etc) between the battens, so it is literally a case of having long metal battens placed horizontially along the wall about 50cm's apart, then the soundproofing material and plasterboard attached to these using special fixings.

The layer of air apparently helps reduce the noise, and the sound is contained in this area by the soundproofing layer.

For domestic installations they arrive in unmarked vans, hopefully does the trick but either way it'll be an improvement.

Ill let you know how it goes, unfortunately I wont be able to get progress photos as Ill be at work wile they do it, but Ill put up some pics after day 1 and hopefully they show some of the detail.

28. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    We've had it in place for a couple weeks now, and im not hugely impressed so far.

It's made a noticeable difference but we can still hear next doors TV and music, plus the door slamming etc

Im wondering if this because they dont use an insulating wool or any other filling between the soundproofing panels and the wall, it's just an air gap. Not sure at this stage whether id say it's worth it for the difference, will give it a few more weeks to see whether I can stop picking up on every sound, because thats how you end up, constantly listening for things that if you'd just moved in or hadnt had previous issues you probably wouldnt notice.

29. JamesDavison

JamesDavison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Oh dear. Sorry to hear that. So which room(s) you had done?

Did they literally fit the metal strips to the existing wall then attach the new wall to them?

How much of the room has it taken up?

You probably are noticing more than you would do normally, I guess thats only natural. It would be interesting to compare the difference between what you have now and the same but with an air gap and mineral wool, I expect it would be better for some types noise, who knows really how much though. Did they attach the new wall but leave a small gap round the sides to fill with flexible sealant? then plaster on top? I've always been concerned that every wall would need to be done ideally and then there is the floor it can vibrate along!

30. Barry_

Barry_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Grayman - i would of tried this myself - can't you get a 3 bed semi done for about £500?? (could be wrong but i am sure i have seen a few ads in the paper and it was mentioned on a property program the other week also) surely the party wall cost would have been slightly cheaper than that. I would imagine a 3' gap filled with millions of tiny polystyrene balls would make a difference ( + cheaper, & would also do the underfloor levels etc 2)