Sound proofing doors

J

jamesf

I've recently moved into a new flat and although the general soundproofing between flats is good (well good enough for me anyway), I've got a gap under the front door that I need to sort out (I can hear anything going on in the foyer outside).

Now, having no idea about this kind of thing, what is my best option for sorting out my front door to get some reasonable sound proofing?

I'm not sure what the door construction is - its not a heavy duty front door by any means.

Any pointers greatly appreciated,

James

For starters, get a good heavy duty draft strip for under the door (will also save you heating money! :D) If that doesnt work sufficiently, you could always replace your door with a good heavy solid wood door.

ad

If I had my way i would brick mine up, the neighbours are always cadging something. Joking apart a draft excluder like a soft toy snake or heavy curtain.

Thats about as far as I got ;-). I read some stuff about magnetic seals and a metal bar which you stick on the underside of the door that fits into a rubber seating which are supposed to be great for soundproofing.

Anyone know if any of these are vastly superiour to a good draught excluder and are going to make any real difference? If so, any ideas on where to get hold of them and what they cost???

Regards,

James

It would form a tighter seal so probably would be better for soundproofing, but im certain they dont cost 50p to do a door like draft strip would! :D

ad

Get yourself a big dog to lie at the bottom of the door, and stick some carpet underlay (the raised-bobbly rubber stuff) on the door
surface.!.......Worked a treat in my home studio

Adzman

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom