• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sound proofing an internal floor

n.simpson

Novice Member
Hi folks,

I really need to get something to lay under my chipboard flooring to cut some of the noise that comes up from the room downstairs. It's really bad at present, you can hear people talking so you can imagine how bad it gets when I crank the stereo up or watch a film! I'm about to lift the floor to fit my electric screen and run cables to my IN76 so I was looking to sort out the sound proofing at the same time. Any suggestions as to the best material to use?

Thanks,
Neil

LittleNipper

Neil,

If you have no control of the floor below (i.e. a flat) then you can only really do stuff from above.

a. lift chipboard
b. full-fill with isowool or similar
c. put the deepest chipboard back 22mm or 25mm
d. If putting carpet down, use either very thick underlay or TWO lots of underlay and then a THICK carpet.
e. If putting wood down, then get a 5mm underlay (first a plastic sheet to stop moisture), then your flooring. Actually, put two lots of 5mm down, ensure you lay them in different directions so joins don't let sound through.

Also, heavy curtains will help as will rugs.

Bodman_Bodman

Standard Member
I have heard that for underlay under carpet this stuff is about the best you can get. I am about to buy a whole load of it for my place.

Cloud 9 Cumulus http://www.underlay.com/cumulus.htm

This was the cheapest place I could find http://www.completelyflooring.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/848%7B37%7D398. I know it looks really cheap at only £2.65 p/m2 but they tried to sell a similar product in the carpet shop at £11 p/m2. I was somewhat shocked at the price and thought I could do better online...

Cheers

Bodman

pemberto

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom