Sound proofing advice please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by gallois, Sep 13, 2007.

1. gallois

gallois
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I live on the ground floor of four story block of flats. We have suspended timber flooring with (what I'm told) concrete underneath.

I have only have one shared wall to the side in the kitchen so sound is never a problem in this direction.

However, my neighbour above has a large TV in the lving room and master bedroom (above my living room and master bedroom) and I often hear their TV and voices.

I do not hear hardly any impact noise, only voice and music. I can sometimes hear what channel they are listening to (eastenders for instance).

I don't think they are unduly noisy, and Virgin Media don't help with their loud adverts. But they clearly do have the TV loud sometimes. I am going to talk to them about it soon just to tell them that it sometimes disturbs me (especially in the bedroom).

What I was wondering is has anyone else had a similar problem and found a non destructive method of soundproofing? I don't know where the concrete seperator is between the floors, but it is possible to inject insulation into the ceiling above? I don't want to loose ceiling height if at all possible, although 5cm would be acceptible I guess.

Thanks for any help,

Stewart

2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    hi

sounds like a flanking noise problem if there is concrete between floors..the sound is transmitted through the walls or through a gap somewhere, you can retrofit ceiling treatments that might help, it could be advantageous to see if you have any soundproofing 'experts' in your area who could come out and do a site visit