sound proofing advice please..need to crack on

Thanks...yeah need to kill voices and baby crying mainly...

Got a sound meter for setting up home av stuff.....probably got it set up wrong but can't seem to get any idea of levels produced by next door when I hold it near the offending wall.

..I'll have to check out your thread.

Cheers

had a look at your thread....

pictures show up until it gets to the soundproofing bit!

Just to bump this thread..... Still don't know if I'm moving as available properties are getting very slim....so looking at this option again..

Just another question...was thinking about the possibility of using a layer of OSB board with a layer of acoustic board...instead of 2 layers of acoustic .

Would make fixings easier ...wondered how OSB board compared density and effectiveness to acoustic board?

There's a gyproc product called habito which I believe has an acoustic rating only a little less than sound block plaster board. You can screw directly into it so you could have a layer of acoustic plaster board, green glue or acoustic membrane, then a layer of habito board. It is more than twice the price of acoustic plaster board though.

Got some supplies in to start with soon..

Looking like a stud wall will be built slightly in front of one that's already there...50mm rock wool...acoustic adhesive around gaps....one layer of 12mm soundbloc type plasterboard...acoustic sealant again... Then see what that's like.

Another question...the floors concrete and as I'm building in front of what's there,,the carpet is there....I was wondering if it would be OK to lay the stud on top of the carpet that's there....or pull the carpet back..lay onto concrete...probably with some sort of barrier...then acoustic sealant along gap....then retrim the carpet and lay back before sticking the skirting back on.

Would be quicker and easier to lay on top of the carpet...got a half decent underlay too ....but don't want to effect any sound proofing improvement?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Got some supplies in to start with soon..

Looking like a stud wall will be built slightly in front of one that's already there...50mm rock wool...acoustic adhesive around gaps....one layer of 12mm soundbloc type plasterboard...acoustic sealant again... Then see what that's like.

Another question...the floors concrete and as I'm building in front of what's there,,the carpet is there....I was wondering if it would be OK to lay the stud on top of the carpet that's there....or pull the carpet back..lay onto concrete...probably with some sort of barrier...then acoustic sealant along gap....then retrim the carpet and lay back before sticking the skirting back on.

Would be quicker and easier to lay on top of the carpet...got a half decent underlay too ....but don't want to effect any sound proofing improvement?
Definitely not ok to install the stud wall on top of the carpet. You would be wasting your time and money and giving yourself a big problem to sort out in the future.

...just thought....I'd need to drill and screw to the concrete floor to fix the batten...so probably not a good idea any way

...just thought....I'd need to drill and screw to the concrete floor to fix the batten...so probably not a good idea any way
This is what I'm doing to install my stud work on a concrete floor. 6mm Acoustic Tape then Studs secured to concrete floor with Acoustic Hangers. Isomax Clips and furring strip means that the 2 layers of Acoustic Plaster board and one layer of Tecsound 50 sit in front of the acoustic hangers.

This is what I'm doing to install my stud work on a concrete floor. 6mm Acoustic Tape then Studs secured to concrete floor with Acoustic Hangers. Isomax Clips and furring strip means that the 2 layers of Acoustic Plaster board and one layer of Tecsound 50 sit in front of the acoustic hangers.
Photos attachec
45f7bf883a067107558474a0b1b2e251.jpg
bd9679ba1587e771d7d74c399263d44d.jpg
d749c47f411dbe79743b075e82560bd2.jpg

fitted one lot.....drilled to a concrete floor......

fitted a 100mm damp proof membrane along the batten folded in half.

acoustic sealant should be arriving today..got the rock and board ready.

...still don't know what to do with the electrical sockets.....flush fit with some sort of acoustic protection

...or just surface mount the boxes after I've fitted the boards and sealed up.

would like to flush fit them....got 4 doubles to do....think the acoustic putty stuff I've seen works out about 4 or 5 quid for each socket.

don't know if theres another alternative?

Any input from Anyone who's done similar?

If you look at my build thread you'll see a major part of it was sound containment. I have, from outside to inside: thick stone wall, air gap, framing with 4 inches rockwool, genie clips and resilient channel, air gap, acoustic plasterboard, Tecsound matting, acoustic plasterboard. This is on all walls and the ceiling.

I play movies at -5dB from Reference late at night and in the early hours. If I stand outside when the movie is playing a loud section, from 1m I can barely hear anything and from 2m, nothing. So the sound containment is clearly working.

As has already been said, you must have no openings at all - even a hole 25mm diameter will destroy the sound containment. Windows are an obvious problem (my cinema building has none) as are doors. I have twin doors with an air gap and the doors are standard fire doors. Pay attention to the seals around them. Basically, if air can get out, so can sound.

It is expensive to do this properly but the result is worth it. I never disturb anyone and the noise floor in the cinema is greatly lowered, which helps with dynamic range, so I benefit from the sound containment too.

Good luck with it all!

than....

yeah I had seen them

...looks a egg box!

..least with the putty pad stuff you look like you're getting something for your money
You did ask for an alternative and I gave it to you. I take no responsibility for the quality of the alternative, at the end of the day you need to make up your own mind what to buy and use.

Whoa .....just a light hearted comment.

Can a
mod delete this thread please....no longer need it up. Thanks

well personally I though theres oodles of sound proofing posts on here...more or less saying the same things

Where did you get the 6mm acoustic tape from?

I used 6mm self adhesive neoprene strip to decouple floor boards from joists. It's available on Amazon in various widths

Online store for soundproofing products
Phone them to get a sensible price for p&p.
I did use Amazon too for top ups at the end of my project for various other uses but the isolation strip from soundproofing store seemed much better for use underneath the studs than the neoprene strip from Amazon. It is less compressible than the Neoprene.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom