1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound proofing a new room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DEO, Jun 22, 2002.

1. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I have started the research I cannot buy any gear until the extension is finished. I am turning a long skinny room into a square one.

Is it advisable to soundproof the new room and if so what is the best material to use for soundprrofing?

2. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DEO
    What stage is your buildiing at? Because you use sound proofing bricks like they use when buliding studios and radio stations etc. They was a guy who used them when buliding an extension in a back issue of HCC,and it gave him amazing results. When I get home I'll check which issue it was in.

Hope this is of help
    Samir

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It is more advisbale to not have your new room square as this can cause hige problems with standing waves. These will mena that you may suffer from very boomy bass.

What sort of objects will be in the room to break up any standing waves? Large absorbant furniture and book cases are good.

I'd definately advise using the high density briocks if you are going to be listening at high volumes.

4. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Guys

The new room will not be dedicated to HT (shame!). The extension will start around 1st August and the new room will be a TV/Family Room where we will do everything except eat dinner or work on the computer.

It will be full of kids toys and large sofas, coffee tables, bookcase(s) against walls and the normal junk.

Unfortunately it has to be square, there is no way around it. There will be slight protrusions into the room ie two piers that jut in around 2 ft in the middle (need these for stability ie RSJs).

Are these bricks really really expensive compared to normal bricks and would you use these bricks for both side of the cavity or just the inside, as naturally we want to match the colour of the bricks to the rest of the house.

The other issue of course is that we cannot change the actual bricks on the existing half of the room, so it looks like only 50% of the walls will be sound proofed?

May be it is a waste of time and effort although every bit may help.

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You'll only need to HD blocks on the inner walls, which leaves the outer walls to match the rest of your house.

Try to have a double wall with air gap between the rest of the house and the room to prevent transmision to the rest of the house.

The amount of furniture should help with the sound.