Sound proof cinema room in semi detached house

simonb3665

We are seriously considering a move to a semi-detached house and I am afraid it will be the end of my home cinema hobby.
Currently we have a detached with good distance to neighbours and enjoy watching movies with multiple subs capable of flat 110bd output down to the teens. To be fair at our loudest listening level peaks rarely get to 100db even in the biggest explosions.
I am trying to gauge how plausible it is to add soundproofing to enable me to still listen close to these levels.
The house itself is a bungalow and the total contact area including loft space to the neighbour is just 26m2.
The home theater will be in a living area that will be part of an extension that will be built outside of the floorplan of the building.
The party wall is has a cavity which I am sure is bridged in many places. I am not sure if this means that I cannot then construct an independent stud wall due to the triple leaf effect. I am not sure if that means all I can do is add mass and maybe green glue on that adjoining wall.
We can also attempt some soundproofing in the living room/cinema itself with the wall and doorway back into the main body of the house. This will also be joined to the existing outer wall which again will have a cavity so not sure if an independent stud wall is an option there.
As the house is a bit of a project with full renovation and extension it gives some opportunity to do the work as part of the build but at the moment I have no idea if it would work.
There is plenty of land to build a separate cinema room that won't bother anyone except cows but I have tried a dedicated room before and it didn't really get used the same as the set up in the living area so don't think I want to do that. Other options are headphones or veto the house move and stick to looking for detached houses.
Does anyone have any thoughts of experience they can share with me?

NASAKillbill

Dude. Don’t do it.
we bought our detached house towards the end of last year and came very close to buying semi but we both after living in a semi for so long agreed it has to be a detached.
don’t get me wrong you can wonderful neighbours and all that but is it really worth the risk?

in my current house /semi I tried to sound proof my living room as much as I could without spending stupid £££ or doing the room within a room setup. When we bought the current house it was our first semi and we did not really think of the noise. Even then and knowing I wanted a okish 5.1 setup in my living room as so we can actually use it as a family space. I did abit to get the living room as sound proofed as I could. The whole house was a gut job with Chimneys being taken out. Loft conversion plus Kitchen Extension plus downstairs loo/shower room being built. Loads of issues with builders and unforeseen expense.

for the living room. Back to brick. Stud wall, rock wool and some acoustic plaster board (can’t remember brand) Then more Rockwool >6 inch or so gap filled with rock wool. Then another stud wall to mount tv/ speakers etc. Rockwool between the studs on each wall and celling joist as well as a false floor filled with rock wool. Then the floor board and the usual laminate/underlay setup.

even after all that it does muffle noise to and from the neighbours next door. But guarantee you if I turn it up they can hear it.

it’s a simple fact. Unless you do a room within a room and studio level sound proofing sound will leak out.

I grew up in an old school terraced house. Married and moved into my first home with the Mrs which was a terraced house .
Old house. Massively thick brick walls internal and external. We had Alley way. our living room, hallway and then neighbours living room. I really got on with the the guys next door and once turned my system up really loud went next door and could not hear a peep. You could hear more infront of our house through the double glazing then you could into the neighbours.
for the love of everything green I don’t know why semis are built with living rooms on each side of the damn middle walls.

Sorry about the rant.

Go detached. That’s my personal recommendation. Or try to build the family living room away from the neighbours.
We are currently renting out the house we bought for a few years. I do know when we move I do have the space for a dedicated cinema room. But the fear is it will be the odd use by the family.
so phase one will be getting a drop down projector a drop down screen and some inwalls into the living room. Keep the family happy and latter on in life build a dedicated room so to speak. And use the spare room as my music room for the time being 😁

Last edited:

davee

It can be done but it demands great attention to detail. If you consider sound akin to water, if water could get in sound can get out. Also a lot of unintentional sound transmission is caused by 'flanking transmission' where acoustic elements are in contact with the structure. Best solution is room within a room. You could refer to the British Gypsum white book: Floors & Ceilings to give you an idea of how to achieve acoustic performance or more simply employ and especially at this stage before you have builders in, an acoustic engineer to design a solution for you.

davee

simonb3665

Dude. Don’t do it.
we bought our detached house towards the end of last year and came very close to buying semi but we both after living in a semi for so long agreed it has to be a detached.
don’t get me wrong you can wonderful neighbours and all that but is it really worth the risk?

in my current house /semi I tried to sound proof my living room as much as I could without spending stupid £££ or doing the room within a room setup. When we bought the current house it was our first semi and we did not really think of the noise. Even then and knowing I wanted a okish 5.1 setup in my living room as so we can actually use it as a family space. I did abit to get the living room as sound proofed as I could. The whole house was a gut job with Chimneys being taken out. Loft conversion plus Kitchen Extension plus downstairs loo/shower room being built. Loads of issues with builders and unforeseen expense.

for the living room. Back to brick. Stud wall, rock wool and some acoustic plaster board (can’t remember brand) Then more Rockwool >6 inch or so gap filled with rock wool. Then another stud wall to mount tv/ speakers etc. Rockwool between the studs on each wall and celling joist as well as a false floor filled with rock wool. Then the floor board and the usual laminate/underlay setup.

even after all that it does muffle noise to and from the neighbours next door. But guarantee you if I turn it up they can hear it.

it’s a simple fact. Unless you do a room within a room and studio level sound proofing sound will leak out.

I grew up in an old school terraced house. Married and moved into my first home with the Mrs which was a terraced house .
Old house. Massively thick brick walls internal and external. We had Alley way. our living room, hallway and then neighbours living room. I really got on with the the guys next door and once turned my system up really loud went next door and could not hear a peep. You could hear more infront of our house through the double glazing then you could into the neighbours.
for the love of everything green I don’t know why semis are built with living rooms on each side of the damn middle walls.

Sorry about the rant.

Go detached. That’s my personal recommendation. Or try to build the family living room away from the neighbours.
We are currently renting out the house we bought for a few years. I do know when we move I do have the space for a dedicated cinema room. But the fear is it will be the odd use by the family.
so phase one will be getting a drop down projector a drop down screen and some inwalls into the living room. Keep the family happy and latter on in life build a dedicated room so to speak. And use the spare room as my music room for the time being 😁
Thanks for that. Yeah my first house was a semi and there would have been no chance of home cinema cranked up there. You could hear normal tv through the walls.
This one would be easier as to start with non of the neighbours previously noticed any noise from next door which is a huge step up already.
The only other thing In my favour is being a bungalow footprint the shared wall isn't that huge and I have 2 chances to stop the sound. One at the joining wall and one in the living room which will be built from scratch. If it was a typical adjoining living room and a second floor I would probably not even try.
To be honest I always thought you couldn't really do it but then see so many people here posting about subwoofers and are living in a semi or even flats.
Ideally, we would stick with detached but the availability isn't there at the moment and when it has been the price difference is significant for a property with the land we want to be attached.

Last edited:

simonb3665

Thanks Davee, I have read up on basics and not sure whether I am too hung up on the detail (even a room in a room has lots of transmission points as implemented in a real building)
I've spoken to a couple of companies so far and neither had come across the triple leaf effect before nevermind understanding how a typically constructed cavity wall would affect it

Harkon321

Thanks Davee, I have read up on basics and not sure whether I am too hung up on the detail (even a room in a room has lots of transmission points as implemented in a real building)
I've spoken to a couple of companies so far and neither had come across the triple leaf effect before nevermind understanding how a typically constructed cavity wall would affect it
I think a lot of these companies are stock pushers rather than acoustic experts.