Sound problems

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Ray1, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Ray1

Ray1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for my ignorance, I'm new to all this and could really do with some help.
    I have a Toshiba DVR35SB DVD/Video recorder & a Television (36ZP18P)

I've connected the DVD to the telly using the component video leads. This is AV4
    I've connected the digital coaxal out from the DVD to the Digital coax in on the telly.
    I have made no other connections

I have set the DVD player to output Bitstream audio and set DTS to ON.
    I have set the AV menu on the telly to Digital input 2 = AV4.
    The trouble is I get no sound at all when viewing the AV channel.

Am I right in thinking that without the digital coax connection then I will not get digital sound?
    Should I be connecting the left/right audio to the componant connections?

I really am getting confused now, not only about the connections and menu options but also about what is or is not digital sound?

What is the best way to connect these to get the best sound and picture.

FYI, On the telly I have sky box connected to Scart 1(RGB). There are two other free scarts (non RGB) and a plethera of other connections.
    The DVD has 2 scarts, Svideo, Composite video, component video and digital coax out puts

2. Ray1

Ray1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I have sussed out how to connect up now.
    I switched everything off and connected the aeriel into dvd then out to sky box and into telly. I use the second rf out on the sky to feed an amplifier in the roof distributed to the rest of the house. Now all the kids can get sky and the dvd player in their rooms.

As for the digital sound problems, I connected the dvd player via the component cables and the digital coax. Set the menu options and voila. I can get dolby digital 3/2, so I was chuffed to bits. :D

However, as soon as I changed the AV channel to normal tv or sky and then went back to the DVD AV channel the sound had gone and I got a message declaring no signal was being received. So it looks like it's a fault with the TV :(
    So to remedy the problem I connected the left and right audio inputs between them and turned off the digital sound option in the TV menu. So it looks like I'm stuffed :mad:

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve the situation then it would be very much appreciated