Sound Problems with Sony DX210

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hacky, Apr 12, 2005.

1. hacky

hacky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased a Sony GX210 dvd recorder, so far (1 evenings play) I'm really happy with it.
    However I've noticed that on playback of purchased pre-recorded films the sound is very quite, turning up the volume only increases the background hiss as well.
    The tv is old and is not 5.1 compatible, does anyone know if this is the problem and how i get around it? I have no problem with the sound coming from my sky box and no problem from things that i have recorded from sky.
    I'm using a scart lead to connect to the tv.

2. amirnet

amirnet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a number of factors will be determining the sound quality like how old is the film or what the original soundtrack quality is or how good a pressing the disc is. by what you've said i reckon is problem lies with the disc. have you tried playing a different number of film dvds on the machine? do they all get the same playback sound. also, to make sure, check your audio playback options in the machine's menu. hope some of this helps.

3. hacky

hacky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried with several films, brand new one that will be top quality dvds.
    My old dvd player had no problem with this, so i'm assuming that it's some setup issue.

4. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Can't help you m8 as I'm using the digital out for my sound and it's loud via it.
    It's the first DVD player I've ever used that I don't have to crank the volume up for when switching from Sky to it.

5. amirnet

amirnet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how about trying a different scart lead. you never know........

6. hacky

hacky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update:
    Tried the audio options on dvd recorder and tv but still no joy.
    I'm positive it has something to do with dolby 5.1 because the film company logo music at the very begining of the dvd (just before the menus) sounds fine ( i would guess that this would be done in plain old stereo).
    My previous dvd player plays the same dvd with no problems.
    I have tried another scart lead but its the same.

Tonight I am going to try using a lead 3 phono plugss (yellow, red, & white) to the 3 phono socket on the tv.
    I also have a 3 phono to scart lead that i'm going to try.
    Both these methods will use a different output socket from the dvd recorder.

Also i thought of taking my unit down to the local Sony Centre to see if they could test it - seeing as i didn't buy it from them do you think they would be heplful in testing it? or would this be taking the pee???

thanks for all of your ideas