Sound problems with Philips 55OLED806 with ARC and Marantz 1402

bint

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought the Philips 806 and momentarily, I am not so happy with it.

I have a Marantz 1402 receiver (I think it is still HDMI 1.4?) with a normal ARC input (no eArc). From what I understood, the philips shouldn't have any issues with sound over ARC (only eArc), but for some reason, I am suffering issues. When starting the netflix app, stereo sound will work (when the netflix app shows you a preview), but when starting the movie (or series), I hear a very strange sound, you can see it here on twitter, another member of this forum experienced the same sound (but probably another issue).

The same happens when I start disney+, or attach my PS5 to my television. The PS5 sound can be resolved by disabling lineair PCM and enabling Dolby / DTS when in multichannel mode, or enabling DTS when in multichannel (bypass) mode.

Is this another bug in this television, or do I have bad luck and is my receiver to old? Maybe the Philips TV converts the audio into a format which my receiver doesn't understand?

Try switching eacr off in the menu and change audio output to multichannel. Not bypass. Since I have done this sound works fine

Try switching eacr off in the menu and change audio output to multichannel. Not bypass. Since I have done this sound works fine
I tried literally every combination. Nothing helps. Might it help to unplug the receiver's power cable and turning it back in, after making the switch?

Is it possible that my receiver is just too old? I just found out about this article:

same problem for me, with 55OLED806 and MARANTZ SR5006, my receiver is DD+ compatible and when i play movie form DISNEY+ or NETFLIX i see DD+ on my receiver but audio is like your.

my receiver works great with Sky Q that use classi standard DD (not plus), i think that somethins went wrong in the TV when send DD+ to my reciver

I bought an apple TV 4k => dolby vision, set audio to DD5.1 audio over arc. and the sound is magnificent (for my own reference). I am SO happy :D. Although I'd rather have no apple TV and use the apps on the television, just with a single remote, I really the user experience of the apple TV 4k. Probably I am going to convince my wife to buy a Marantz nr1711, in order to be "up to date" again.

I bought an apple TV 4k => dolby vision, set audio to DD5.1 audio over arc. and the sound is magnificent (for my own reference). I am SO happy :D. Although I'd rather have no apple TV and use the apps on the television, just with a single remote, I really the user experience of the apple TV 4k. Probably I am going to convince my wife to buy a Marantz nr1711, in order to be "up to date" again.
i think to do the same thing, now i have Apple TV HD i think to buy a 4K version, can you confirm that with Apple TV 4K you can force the output to DD5.1 and don't use DD+?

i think to do the same thing, now i have Apple TV HD i think to buy a 4K version, can you confirm that with Apple TV 4K you can force the output to DD5.1 and don't use DD+?
I can confirm that it is DD5.1 and no DD+

I can confirm that it is DD5.1 and no DD+
I have to check if the channels are correct btw, I just heard that there are issues with DD5.1, not sure if that is the case with arc and earc

I have to check if the channels are correct btw, I just heard that there are issues with DD5.1, not sure if that is the case with arc and earc
I tested it with the surround app on Apple TV: every channel works as it was meant to be!

I tested it with the surround app on Apple TV: every channel works as it was meant to be!
The DD5.1 bug only happens when eARC is in auto with the digital output set to Multichannel - Bypass and when using an eARC media device.

The bypass function means that the TV should not alternate the sound. It just send it to the home cinema as its received it. So the home cinema device must supported audio codec. It could be Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital (Plus), DTS, DTS:X,…
But for some weird reason the TV does alternate the sound when eARC is in auto.

The problem in the video you are referring to (twitter) is resolved. I have been very active in those days. Even Sonos and Netflix took this problem very seriously and invested the case. Bottom line the TV was causing the issue.

The initial firmware of the 806 had this problem where again the bypass function in combination with the eARC was causing this issue. The conclusion of all the testing even from Netflix and Sonos was that the TV is alternating the sound instead of just bypassing it. The sound came in a corrupted way to the home cinema.

Philips solved this problem with a newer firmware 212.206. The ticking is gone but they have now introduced the DD5.1 audio channel bug which still exists.

After more and more investigation I can conclude that this problem happens on EVERY home cinema/soundbar. The problem only happens when eARC is in Auto with multichannel bypass and when using an external eARC media device. (Blu-ray, Apple TV)

There are some people that are reporting having no issues in that setup but they are using the built in apps or a device that is not using eARC but just the ARC. It’s not because the eARC option is in auto that the device actually utilise it. The Apple TV is an easy device to force to use the eARC. Once you see that you can use Dolby Atmos it really uses the eARC capabilities. That‘s because the Apple TV does only support Dolby Atmos over a high bandwidth. It is not using the Dolby Digital Plus signal to transfer a Dolby Atmos sound (ARC).

For more information check this thread: Philips OLED806 sound is buggy combined with Sonos ARC

The DD5.1 bug only happens when eARC is in auto with the digital output set to Multichannel - Bypass and when using an eARC media device.

The bypass function means that the TV should not alternate the sound. It just send it to the home cinema as its received it. So the home cinema device must supported audio codec. It could be Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital (Plus), DTS, DTS:X,…
But for some weird reason the TV does alternate the sound when eARC is in auto.

The problem in the video you are referring to (twitter) is resolved. I have been very active in those days. Even Sonos and Netflix took this problem very seriously and invested the case. Bottom line the TV was causing the issue.

The initial firmware of the 806 had this problem where again the bypass function in combination with the eARC was causing this issue. The conclusion of all the testing even from Netflix and Sonos was that the TV is alternating the sound instead of just bypassing it. The sound came in a corrupted way to the home cinema.

Philips solved this problem with a newer firmware 212.206. The ticking is gone but they have now introduced the DD5.1 audio channel bug which still exists.

After more and more investigation I can conclude that this problem happens on EVERY home cinema/soundbar. The problem only happens when eARC is in Auto with multichannel bypass and when using an external eARC media device. (Blu-ray, Apple TV)

There are some people that are reporting having no issues in that setup but they are using the built in apps or a device that is not using eARC but just the ARC. It’s not because the eARC option is in auto that the device actually utilise it. The Apple TV is an easy device to force to use the eARC. Once you see that you can use Dolby Atmos it really uses the eARC capabilities. That‘s because the Apple TV does only support Dolby Atmos over a high bandwidth. It is not using the Dolby Digital Plus signal to transfer a Dolby Atmos sound (ARC).

For more information check this thread: Philips OLED806 sound is buggy combined with Sonos ARC
No, it’s not always true…

I have tried all the possible settings and for me it’s impossible to use home cinema with native apps except I force STEREO mode..

passstrought, multichannel eARC, if Dolby Atmos is present is buggy always.

I have ordered a new Apple TV 4k, it‘s the only way to use home cinema and Dolby Vision at same time…

p.s: my home cinema support DD+ and ARC (no eARC)

@italoc But if your home cinema does not support eARC how would you get Dolby Atmos with the Apple TV?

And what exactly is your setup? Because in your case normally with eARC off and multichannel it should work. Especially with the native apps because they always use compressed audio.

Is it only when there’s a Dolby Atmos content playing (Dolby Digital Plus)? Or do you have the same issues with 5.1?

Keep in mind there is still a nasty Dolby Vision bug. It happens when an external device change the frame rate to 23,97 Hz.

i have tried all setup possible and Netflix,Prime,Disney+,Apple TV+ don't work with my home cinema except if i force STEREO MODE... youtube app works with pass through (bypass)

now i use Sky Q decoder (with integrated apps) and works in DD5.1 and ARC with pass through but no Dolby Vision

i have an old Apple TV HD and works in DD5.1, now i have ordered a Apple TV 4K for use Dolby Vision

my home cinema is MARANTZ SR5006

@italoc Hmm...that's really strange.
Probably you already tried this but I'm just thinking together with you.
Have you also tried to change the listening mode on the Marantz? I believe there will be a surround, stereo, auto and a (pure) direct button on the remote. Does changing this helps?

Again it's very weird that this setup will experience those problems. But it's no surprise to me that more and more audio issues will be known the more people have an Philips xx6 television. Those televisions has really big issues with the audio.

Nothing change if I change listening mode on my marantz

Audio is very buggy, I have another bug (randomically) when tv power on, sometimes is broken and I need to restart the tv

Keep in mind there is still a nasty Dolby Vision bug. It happens when an external device change the frame rate to 23,97 Hz.

I have just installed Apple TV 4K, audio is ok but bug is present with Apple TV+ and Disney+, works great with Netflix and prime video

I hope in a new firmware update… actual firmware is very buggy

italoc, sounds like you have the same issue as I have: your TV connected to your HTS, no eARc, but buggy sound, except when in Stereo mode. It turns out that the TV sends out a DD+ (Dolby Digital plus) signal when having dolby sound. My HTS is capable to handle DD+, but I found out that it doesn't handle DD+ over ARC, and that is exactly what this article describes:
ARC / eARC COMPATIBILITY

I quote:
In addition to that, more recent Dolby Atmos AV receivers (from model year 2015 on onwards) and soundbars started to support Dolby Digital Plus (up to 5.1) via ARC. Only recently, TV manufacturers included to output these formats. Even if the format is correctly identified on earlier AVRs, it cannot be guaranteed that Dolby Digital Plus is played back correctly on such AVRs from ARC.

Note that this also includes Dolby Atmos (based on Dolby Digital +) from Netflix. More info can be read here.

So when having an older HTS, chances are there that your HTS just doesn't support DTS over ARC, altough it is able to recognize the type. Using my Apple TV 4k+ and PS5, I was able to force DTS, which does work. Buying that Apple TV was a cheaper option than buying a new HTS, altough I would have preferred to make use of the native apps on my television. But for now, it does the job.

italoc, sounds like you have the same issue as I have: your TV connected to your HTS, no eARc, but buggy sound, except when in Stereo mode. It turns out that the TV sends out a DD+ (Dolby Digital plus) signal when having dolby sound. My HTS is capable to handle DD+, but I found out that it doesn't handle DD+ over ARC, and that is exactly what this article describes:
ARC / eARC COMPATIBILITY

I quote:

So when having an older HTS, chances are there that your HTS just doesn't support DTS over ARC, altough it is able to recognize the type. Using my Apple TV 4k+ and PS5, I was able to force DTS, which does work. Buying that Apple TV was a cheaper option than buying a new HTS, altough I would have preferred to make use of the native apps on my television. But for now, it does the job.
Yes Bint, same problem, I have bought an Apple TV 4K and works fine

And what exactly is your setup? Because in your case normally with eARC off and multichannel it should work. Especially with the native apps because they always use compressed audio.

Is it only when there’s a Dolby Atmos content playing (Dolby Digital Plus)? Or do you have the same issues with 5.1?

DD plus or DTS over multichannel bypass instead of multichannel option does not work if your soundbar does not support them. I can verify on my Yamaha soundbar which only supports Dolby 5.1 and DTS. Under bypass option they work but DD plus does not

Choosing multichannel setting means the tv converts the source audio it receives from apps or anything else into more commonly supported format like Dolby surround or ac3.

Last edited:
same problem for me, with 55OLED806 and MARANTZ SR5006, my receiver is DD+ compatible and when i play movie form DISNEY+ or NETFLIX i see DD+ on my receiver but audio is like your.

my receiver works great with Sky Q that use classi standard DD (not plus), i think that somethins went wrong in the TV when send DD+ to my reciver
Does yr
receiver support DD+? If u use bypass option onthe tv sound settings , and your sound bar or receiver does not support it u will not get any sound. The same for DTS.

update: strangely after android tv 11 firmware update , the bypass option works for all sound formats with me Yamaha soundbar,

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom