Question Sound problems with bluetooth headset

fires3as0n

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello overyone.

I've recently bought a bluetooth headset, namely Sony WH-1000XM4.
While it works perfectly with Android phone (both sound and mic) it has severe problems with other devices.

I have a laptop (HP probook G6) Running Linux Mint with built-in bluetooth adapter, and Windows PC with Asus bluetooth dongle.
Both has the same 2 problems:

1. Headset can be only used as headphones, if I select them as sound input device output sound quality drops so significally that only noise can be heard
2. Even when used as only a headphones, sound constantly stutters

Can anyone explain me why does that happen?

Hello overyone.

I've recently bought a bluetooth headset, namely Sony WH-1000XM4.
While it works perfectly with Android phone (both sound and mic) it has severe problems with other devices.

I have a laptop (HP probook G6) Running Linux Mint with built-in bluetooth adapter, and Windows PC with Asus bluetooth dongle.
Both has the same 2 problems:

1. Headset can be only used as headphones, if I select them as sound input device output sound quality drops so significally that only noise can be heard
2. Even when used as only a headphones, sound constantly stutters

Can anyone explain me why does that happen?

When you pair the headset with certain devices sometimes two separate pairing options can become available & the better option invariably takes longer to appear, so users often just select the first option that appears.

If you get an option for LE-WH-1000XM4 (low energy), ignore it & wait a little longer for the standard WH-1000XM4 option to be listed, & then pair using the latter option.

Any improvement?

Otherwise, do you have another USB dongle available or that you could borrow to test with? (Sometimes hardware, & dongles/BT modules from different manufacturers respectively just don't play well together!!)

Worth trying :).

1. Yes I have tried 2 different dongles (ASUS and TP-LINK), both have the same issue.
2. Also I am conencting via standard option, not LE one. (Actually I can not connect on LE at all - don't have a button for that on widnows and on linux the toggle is simply doing nothing)
photo_2021-01-25_18-36-16.jpg

Screenshot from 2021-01-25 18-38-06.png

But switching my WI-FI adapter to using only 5Ghz instead of 2.4GHz worked like a magic - no sound stutter occur anymore. So looks like the most annoying problem is solved.

Still I have no idea why:
1. Problem was not the case for a smartphone (are they really shipped with a kind of better quality bluetooth adapters)
2. Why sound is terrible when headset is used both for micro and sound on Desktop/Laptop. But in the same time works perfectly with smartphone. (maybe the reason is that "better quality adapter" or better drivers or what?)

1. Yes I have tried 2 different dongles (ASUS and TP-LINK), both have the same issue.
2. Also I am conencting via standard option, not LE one. (Actually I can not connect on LE at all - don't have a button for that on widnows and on linux the toggle is simply doing nothing)
View attachment 1448412
View attachment 1448414

But switching my WI-FI adapter to using only 5Ghz instead of 2.4GHz worked like a magic - no sound stutter occur anymore. So looks like the most annoying problem is solved.

Still I have no idea why:
1. Problem was not the case for a smartphone (are they really shipped with a kind of better quality bluetooth adapters)
2. Why sound is terrible when headset is used both for micro and sound on Desktop/Laptop. But in the same time works perfectly with smartphone. (maybe the reason is that "better quality adapter" or better drivers or what?)

According to your screenshots above you are actually paired to the LE_WH-1000XM4 option!!! (That's the option you DON'T want to be paired to. LE == Low Energy.)

Try unpairing & forget the connections, then pair with the standard WH-1000XM4 option from the list of available connections instead.

Try completely resetting the headset too before you start again in case you have a gremlin that may simply need clearing too :).

Yeah I am paired with LE, but connected to not LE option. Is that fine?
a.PNG

Yeah I am paired with LE, but connected to not LE option. Is that fine?
View attachment 1456316

You tell us lol :)??? Has that now improved your audio quality or is it still stuttering & the awful quality that you experienced before?

(If it's still bad, try forgetting all of the Sony pairings/connections on the PC & either hard reset the headset or have the headset forget all pairings too. (You can Google this info easily ;).))

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom