sound problems via HDMI > DVI

budd

Standard Member
Reaction score
OK I'm not sure i'm posting in the correct place and i haven't include equipment details in title basically because I'm not sure what the culprit is so please bear with me.
Right where to start? I think with a list of the gear I'm using :
Amp - Sony STR-DH820
TV - Samsung 42 Plasma
Projector - Sanyo Z2
Source - PS3, Samsung DVD, Sky HD box
Speakers - pair of Linn floorstanders, Kef pods and extra rel sub
Cables - all sources connected with HDMI 1.3 cables running through the amp to the TV plus optical and coaxial for audio as required
The projector connects to the amp HDMI output with a HDMI to DVI-I cable
Right the problem is when I connect up the projector I lose the sound from the PS3 and DVD player, the Sky seems unaffected, when using the projector I have to swap the HDMI cables as the Sony as only one HDMI out so basically I switch between HDMI cables to feed either the TV or the projector.
Using the TV everything works fine linked via HDMI using the amp to switch between sources the problems begin when I want to use the projector for either DVD films from DVD player or BD or games via PS3.
I would have thought that simply switching the HDMI feed between the TV and projector would have no effect on the sound which should still be fed by the HDMI s and reproduced by the amp, but I get an image from the PS3 and DVD player but no sound and as I said Sky seems unaffected and gives both sound and vision I have say it's got me stumped, the only way to get sound from the PS3 of DVD is to connect the digital audio feeds (optical and coaxial) to the amp and select them manually, I can't understand why the Sky box behaves as normal sending its audio via the HDMI cable but the PS3 and DVD won't.
I had thought it something to do with the HDMI - DVI cable I have running from the amp to the projector but if that's the case surely the Sky would be effected to???
Another thing that's odd is when the PS3 is selected I get the PS3 image and no sound when the projector is switched on but when the projector is in standby I lose the image (to be expected) but get the sound back (not expected), what I can't understand is why the projector effecs the amp surely everything should run through HDMIs with no need for extra digtal feeds for the audio.
Because the Sky works no problem I'm assuming it's a set up problem but all the manuals are pretty vague, sorry for the long winded post but I thought it best to be as detailed as poss, any help with this most welcome.

Last edited:
Sony AV Receivers don't handle DVI very well. AFAIK it's a well documented problem that hasn't been addressed.

thanks fore the mega rapid responce, yes the sony manual does mention possible issues with DVI cables and if it all didn't work then I guess that's just the way it is but why would the Sky box be able to work unaffected ? surely it would suffer the same loss of sound

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom