• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sound problems playing DVDs

gruttux

Standard Member
Hey y'all,

I recently purchased a Sony STRDH520 amp and Sony BDPS 390 multiregion Blu-ray/DVD player and having some strange sound issues.

When I put in a dvd I get no sound but if I flick to a different channel on the amp (say, Game) then back to DVD it works fine. If at any point I go back to the menu again I lose the sound and have to do the switching again. Flippin' pain.

Not come across this before, any suggestions?

:)

MaturityDodger

Is the AVR automatically putting itself into a muted state as you fire it up? (so instead of changing channel to get the sound back, does it also come back if you turn the volume up/down, or pressing mute?)

gruttux

Standard Member
No, unfortuntely not the case. Tried volume changes, mute on/off and audio formats changes with no success. A borrowed LG player did not seem to have the same issue. :confused:

dante01

Distinguished Member
No, unfortuntely not the case. Tried volume changes, mute on/off and audio formats changes with no success. A borrowed LG player did not seem to have the same issue. :confused:

Which suggests the issue is with the player and not the amp. How is the player connected to the amp and have you tried using different cables? Is the issue specifically with DVD discs or is it also apparent with Blu-ray titles?

gruttux

Standard Member
Using HDMI cable which was used with the LG without issues but will try another cable tonight. Can't remember exactly but think it was only with the DVD and will also try that tonight.

Will post results later. Thanks for the help so far. have a nice evening.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom