1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound problems Philips 32PW9509

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by clevejon, Mar 19, 2005.

1. clevejon

clevejon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope someone has a resolution to his problem.

I bought a Philips 32PW9509 this January after seeing it get an award in What HIFI Sound and Vision (Product of The Year, CRT TVs). Ever since it arrived I have sound problems.

Basically, mid to low frequencies especially male voices, low female voices, tuba music (!), the toaster machine sound effect on teletubbies (!!!) cause resonance in the TV casing with a loud buzzing effect. This happens even at relatively low listening levels. It's very irritating.

At first I thought it was the fact that I had mounted the TV on a cheap piece of furniture but having tried isolating (with MDF) the TV and having put the TV on the carpet...I now know the problem is TV not furniture.

I have also played with the equalizer settngs, and yes, if you reduce the mid and low frequency bands below mid-level, then the problem is diminished (but the sound isn't right because it lacks low frequencies!!)

I have searched this forum and found that several other 32PW9509 owners have experienced problems with unpleasanrt vibrations with this model.

I also see several owners raving about both the picture AND the SOUND quality.

Questions:

Is there a design fault in this TV that causes resonance at mid to low frequencies?

Or have I been unlucky and picked up a duff model?

Is there a solution short of returning to Philips?

By the way, What HIFI said this about sound,
    "Sonically, this Philips delivers weighty bass with decent levels of detail, that for standard Nicam stereo TV speakers, is at least good enough to be acceptable." Not a rave review of sound exactly, but they didn't here this porblem.

Any help, solutions would be appreciated,

clevejon

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Yout TV is faulty.
    Get intouch with your supplier and they should be able to fit some anti-vibration tape. It is a problem that I have seen before, not solely on Philips TV`s.
    Nigel

3. EviL AnGeL

EviL AnGeL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not just that model. A friend of mine had a 36" pixel plus tv about 2 years ago. Can't remember the model but he had the exact same problem. An engineer came out and said it would have to go back to the factory for fixing. He sent the TV back but ended up getting a refund because they took so long repairing it. I don't know what they were doing but it should be an easy fix like nig28 says with the vibration tape.

4. bspks

bspks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had this model for the last three weeks and experienced the same problem.
    I found (don't laugh) that the problem could be brought down to an acceptable level by placing 2 cork table mats undr the back feet of the stand although you still cannot bring the bass level up to that you might like or switch the loudness on without some reccurence. (Mine is mounted on the accompanying stand).
    For "best quality" viewing I added a cheap (approx £90 - catalogue says 70W but system is 105W all amplifier contained in sub with 5 satellites & 2 stands included - perfect colour match with TV) surround sound system from Argos which gives much superior sound anyway with no resonance and Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro-Logic/Stereo options hooked up to the 2 phono sockets on the back of the TV for normal viewing & of course, to the digital output of my DVD player for the digital surround options.
    I did expect the audio quality of the TV to be better but pictures as good as this deserve a proper sound system to give them justice.

5. clevejon

clevejon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also tried isolating the TV with cork mats and also a 3/4" MDF platform but if anything it made things worse! Then I put the TV on the carpet and the sound was still terrible.

I can't believe the TV is behaving as it should - even the factory default settings cause unacceptable vibrations/resonance (a loud buzzing at certain frequencies).

I will contact TV & Video Direct's Service Dept on Monday and arrange a replacement (from other threads, it looks like their after sales care is ok).

By the way, I would also be interested to hear from any Forum members who have this Philips model and who use the TV's own speakers and have NO PROBLEM with sound.

John

6. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had a 32PW9509 for a short time and experienced the same problems, which I was never able to correct. I returned the TV eventually due to various other picture problems and received a full refund.

If you dont see any picture porblems and want to keep the TV, I wouldn't want to though, then a separate amp is probably the only way to go!

Wackojacko32

7. clevejon

clevejon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to WhackoJacko...did you establish if your TV was faulty or ALL 32PW9509s have the same sound problem?

(shows up worst with the factory default "Music" setting - which has bass turned up.

clevejon

8. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Clevejon

I didn't actually reject it on the sound, as I use an amp for most of my viewing, it was the white vertical line down the centre of the screen and the awful 'Dirty' screen effect that bothered me.

However, when I was researching my problems on here the sound issue came up time and time again. I would say its a 'feature' rather than a fault:) It was definately worst on Music, but all of the presets were terrible, how this scores top marks for sound in reviews is a mystery to me.

Sorry I cant be more help!

Wackojacko32

9. clevejon

clevejon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I called TV & Video Direct on Mondy to report the problem and they were very helpful. They gave me a service number, I called the local Philips service representative and they had someone round by the same afternoon.

Today they called to say they had found a speaker fault and they are ordering new speakers.

Watch this space!

Clevejon

10. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Resonating cabinets seem to be quite common these days.

I bought some sound deadening panels from Halfords to stick inside my old Sony TV.

They work perfectly but, of course, you should only open up the back of a TV if you know what you're doing.

As usual, it's down to economics.

When I was a lad, the wooden cabinets of the period actually used to improve the sound quality! ;)

11. malinwa

malinwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is a replacer on his way for the philips 32PW9509 called 32PW9520