Sound problem driving me nuts....!

• Thread starter Deleted member 39241
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 39241

I have a Shuttle SN41G2V2 which has an onboard nforce2 chipset, and using the onboard audio to connect to amp via spdif cable.

Problem - keep losing my center channel, I have tried every driver available, it is a known problem but all the fixes I try (hacked drivers, registry tweaks etc) only work short term, then suddenly its gone again. When it goes the left and right front speakers create a 'phantom' center channel, but I don't want that, I want to use the 'real' center channel speaker.

I am thinking of resorting to getting a usb soundcard just for the spdif connection, and disabling the onboard sound. Seems a shame as it will look untidy and cost...

Anyone any ideas, or recommend me a good external soundcard, no pci slots available for internal..

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
are you absolutely sure its the pc thats at fault ?
If for instance you turn off your amp & then turn it back-on, does the centre
cannel miraculously re-appear ?
If it does then maybe its the amp thats got the problem tho this could be more expensive than a new sound-card :eek:

Mike

just get yourself an M-Audio FW410 and prepare yourself for upgradeitis.. :devil:

Well thanks for your input.

I went to Maplins and bought a top of the range, no expense spared USB sound card (£15.99 :eek: ), and it installed in seconds and works perfectly.... but only in stereo / pro logic. I can't get any thing resembling digital 5.1 out of it, even with Ac3 filter installed, and lots of research...

Will have to spend a bit more money on a better one, but at least I know its not my amp/speakers...

hi lisa not trying to cause problems , but if your onboard sound chip doesnt work and a new soundcard doest work why would you think a more expensive one will?, i have a cheap soundcard and onboard soundchip and both give me dd and dts from the spdif socket on either with ac3filter. i would look more to software side of things Is ac3filter setup properly, which version are you using?, Mike

Good question, I am wondering that myself....
The problems are different though.

The onboard sound worked ok, except the center speaker kept dropping out, this seems to be a known problem with nvmixer/soundmax drivers.

The new cheapo usb thing has solved this problem (it seems so far) but is only outputting stereo sound, I have set up ac3 filter and nvidia dvd codec the same that I had it before, but this card will not send a digital signal to my amp like the onboard sound did..

Any ideas?

I bought the same USB "Sound Box" from Maplin. it doesn't support DD 5.1 etc. It's just a means to get sound out for stereo speakers (or Pro Logic Amp). Not only that but it stopped an Audigy from outputing 5.1 too when I installed it afterwards.. The nVidia Codec said DD5.1 via s/pdif but all I got was pro logic. I had to recover from a previously taken backup.

Dave

Ah, interesting... I am really tempted to nip out to PC World (shh) and pick up a creative 24bit USB soundcard for £40... like this

What do you reckon?

if it doesnt cure the problem that will be two soundcards you have of no use, and one costs £40, I presume you want usb because you have no room in the shuttle for pci one?. Mike

mickey said:
if it doesnt cure the problem that will be two soundcards you have of no use, and one costs £40, I presume you want usb because you have no room in the shuttle for pci one?. Mike
Yes, and yes... Maplin and PC World are easy to return to though...

Well, it is now all fixed, for the moment at least... ended up doing a clean install of mce, and installing the creative usb thing. Thanks for trying to help me out, your input was, er, interesting ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom