Sound problem driving me nuts....!

• Thread starter Deleted member 39241
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 39241

I have a Shuttle SN41G2V2 which has an onboard nforce2 chipset, and using the onboard audio to connect to amp via spdif cable.

Problem - keep losing my center channel, I have tried every driver available, it is a known problem but all the fixes I try (hacked drivers, registry tweaks etc) only work short term, then suddenly its gone again. When it goes the left and right front speakers create a 'phantom' center channel, but I don't want that, I want to use the 'real' center channel speaker.

I am thinking of resorting to getting a usb soundcard just for the spdif connection, and disabling the onboard sound. Seems a shame as it will look untidy and cost...

Anyone any ideas, or recommend me a good external soundcard, no pci slots available for internal..

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeC

Hi
are you absolutely sure its the pc thats at fault ?
If for instance you turn off your amp & then turn it back-on, does the centre
cannel miraculously re-appear ?
If it does then maybe its the amp thats got the problem tho this could be more expensive than a new sound-card :eek:

Mike

The Dude

Distinguished Member
just get yourself an M-Audio FW410 and prepare yourself for upgradeitis.. :devil:

D

Deleted member 39241

Well thanks for your input.

I went to Maplins and bought a top of the range, no expense spared USB sound card (£15.99 :eek: ), and it installed in seconds and works perfectly.... but only in stereo / pro logic. I can't get any thing resembling digital 5.1 out of it, even with Ac3 filter installed, and lots of research...

Will have to spend a bit more money on a better one, but at least I know its not my amp/speakers...

mickey

Distinguished Member
hi lisa not trying to cause problems , but if your onboard sound chip doesnt work and a new soundcard doest work why would you think a more expensive one will?, i have a cheap soundcard and onboard soundchip and both give me dd and dts from the spdif socket on either with ac3filter. i would look more to software side of things Is ac3filter setup properly, which version are you using?, Mike

D

Deleted member 39241

Good question, I am wondering that myself....
The problems are different though.

The onboard sound worked ok, except the center speaker kept dropping out, this seems to be a known problem with nvmixer/soundmax drivers.

The new cheapo usb thing has solved this problem (it seems so far) but is only outputting stereo sound, I have set up ac3 filter and nvidia dvd codec the same that I had it before, but this card will not send a digital signal to my amp like the onboard sound did..

Any ideas?

D

DaveP

I bought the same USB "Sound Box" from Maplin. it doesn't support DD 5.1 etc. It's just a means to get sound out for stereo speakers (or Pro Logic Amp). Not only that but it stopped an Audigy from outputing 5.1 too when I installed it afterwards.. The nVidia Codec said DD5.1 via s/pdif but all I got was pro logic. I had to recover from a previously taken backup.

Dave

D

Deleted member 39241

Ah, interesting... I am really tempted to nip out to PC World (shh) and pick up a creative 24bit USB soundcard for £40... like this

What do you reckon?

mickey

Distinguished Member
if it doesnt cure the problem that will be two soundcards you have of no use, and one costs £40, I presume you want usb because you have no room in the shuttle for pci one?. Mike

D

Deleted member 39241

mickey said:
if it doesnt cure the problem that will be two soundcards you have of no use, and one costs £40, I presume you want usb because you have no room in the shuttle for pci one?. Mike
Yes, and yes... Maplin and PC World are easy to return to though...

D

Deleted member 39241

Well, it is now all fixed, for the moment at least... ended up doing a clean install of mce, and installing the creative usb thing. Thanks for trying to help me out, your input was, er, interesting ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom