1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound Pressure Waves and Subwoofers

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by FoxyMulder, Oct 11, 2005.

1. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a smallish sized room is it possible for a subwoofer such as an SVS model to send out bass waves which potentially can damage an LCD projector, i'm talking very low frequency soundwaves which knock things off walls, can projectors be damaged because of these low frequency sounds ?

As an example let's say your projector is on a shelf at the back of the room and basswaves moved it, is this possible or highly unlikely, just wondering really what happens when certain frequencies are produced ?

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    if its on a shelf fixed to a brick wall then i doubt very much it will affect it...

if its a plasterboard wall in a block of flats then it could do, but you will have neighbours complaining long before that stage...lol

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets say the projector isn't fixed down its merely sitting on a table and projecting, can a subwoofer such as an SVS model produce enough low level bass frequencies to actually move the projector or does that sort of thing not happen, so if the projector isn't fixed down to anything would a subwoofer such as this move it and indeed anything else in the room not fixed down ?

Lets also say you have neighbours below you, can a subwoofer such as this potentially drive them nutty and shake the ceiling ?

More interested in the projector and possible movement caused by low frequency sound than actual neighbours complaining though.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unfortunately powerful subwoofers and apartments don't make good bedfellows.

The bass waves shouldn't move your projector about as I have much lighter things in my room that don't move around.

5. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the combination of SPL and frequency which is obviously important.

No typical home or 'audiophile' subwoofer, including the biggest SVS, is going to move a projector (unfortunately?).

I regularly use two RCF 15" pro 'subs' for concerts, however, and we do have to clear out the projector booth and secure down the projector (which is 20m away from the stage) because the whole thing naturally vibrates. Frequency is filtered below 50Hz, SPL hits over 125dB. The bass is certainly not lacking.