Sound over HDMI

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by bigdic, Sep 15, 2007.

1. bigdic

bigdic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok now I'm hoping the title got some attention :)

I've just built a Media centre using the following graphics card:

256MB MSI 7300GS

on this MB:

Asus P5LD2

Connected up to a Panny Plasma TV (not a monitor) through HDMI. THe picture is fine but for the life of me i can't get the sound to work. I've connected the SPDIF out from the back of the MB to the graphics card using the cable they provide. But nothing! Has anyone else got this to work? I'm on a fresh install of Media center 2005 and using NVIDEA pure gold.

ANY help or suggestions gratefully received :lease:

2. orc brute

orc brute

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    what programme are you playing your media on? you may have to set it to spdif out on the media player , you are using.

3. bigdic

bigdic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello OB,

I'm using windows media player 10, as far as I can find I've set it to SPDIF out. Also on NVIDEA there is an option to set it to SPDIF out and when I checked it it was also set correctly, althoug I'm now unable to check it for some strange reason. :confused:

This is driving me nuts!

4. jeallen01

jeallen01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi

I've had almost the same problem with a Sapphire X1600 Pro HDMI -perfect picture but no sound over the HDMI connection, and my local PC shop had no more luck than me!

I have asked the question on many forums including this one, but no one has any answers - or even suggestions! :confused:

So has ANYONE managed to get sound from the output of ANY graphics card with HDMI?

If so, please let us know what card & s/w you are running to do this?

Thanks in advance on behalf of both of us! :lease:

John

5. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Graphics card with HDMI out have SPDIF in, they pass audio from the Spdif in to the HDMI out, which means you must feed the spdif output from your current soundcard to the spdif in on your graphics card..., bascially the HDMI acts as a pass through..., not dedicated HDMI audio...

not used the HDMI cards, maybe there is a setting which enables the spdif in and pass through of audio via HDMI..., try getting the ATI HDMI Audio driver from the Realtek Website...

6. jeallen01

jeallen01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Replying as above prompted me to a do a search on the Sapphire 2400 which apparently does have an HDMI version - that lead to these pages, which may just be the answer:

Here
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/jn/products/products_overview.php?gpid=185&grp=3
    and here
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/productfiles/Catalogue_HDMI_Sound_output.pdf.

Is this obscure or not! :mad:

Why the h*ll does'nt Sapphire put this in the release notes which accompany the cards!!!

I can't try this out for a couple of days as I am away from home - but feedback from anyone who can would be tremendous!!

7. bigdic

bigdic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers for the responses guys.

Had a more in depth look at this, and still can't find a solution. I feel as if the card is missing a driver, but can't find anything on the MSI site and I am using the most up to date and model specific driver for the card.

Also had a look through another few forums and it seems to be a commonish (word?) problem with no obvious solution.

I hope that Meansizzlers' option has solved your problem jeallen01, and good find on the Sapphire site. If only MSI were so helpful!

If I ever find a cure I'll post it here so others can get this scabby card to work right.

8. superal

superal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    My integrated HDMI on my Fatality F-190HD board uses exactly the same method to enable sound!!

9. nickf3

nickf3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently built an HCPC using an Asus P5B MB and a Gigabyte 7600GT graphics card with HDMI. This is feeding a Sony KDL-40W2000 via HDMI. I used the lead supplied with the graphics card to link the SPDIF header on the motherboard directly to the SPDIF input on the graphics card. I downloaded the latest NVIDIA drivers. The PC is using Vista and I used the Media Center settings to set up the output to the TV. The sound worked first time. Other players outside Media Center such as PowerDVD have the audio switched to SPDIF. Again, it worked fine.

Some TVs have alternative analogue audio inputs associated with the HDMI input with menu options to select. Does yours and could the TV be set to analogue rather than digital input?

Nick.

10. bigdic

bigdic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nickf3 - You (I think) are unique ;)

I had tried every single available sound setting on the TV (there were only about 3) and it made no difference.

An amp has now been ordered but I'd still like to solve the problem for the sake of it as it's bugging the hell outa me.

11. AIstudio

AIstudio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    @bigdic

I dont want to teach you to suck eggs here, but have you actually physically got an SPDIF lead connected from either the motherboard SPDIF header to the graphics card SPDIF in, or from the sound card SPDIF header to the graphics card SPDIF in.
    That isnt just done in software but actually needs a lead to connect them up.

Just a thought

Kev

12. jeallen01

jeallen01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Have now tried this but there is no option for the "ATI HDMI Rear Audio" as shown in the screen shots -Just AC97 !

Now downloading ANOTHER type of driver from the Sapphire site to see if that may solve the problem!!:mad:

13. nickf3

nickf3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bigdic

This may seem a bit obvious - or maybe not - but have you checked that your MS master volume, wave volume and mute settings are all OK.

Nick.

14. bigdic

bigdic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right I'm back from Holiday and no further forward, the super dooper MSI website have deleted my enquiry without a response so that's great :(

@ Kev - Not teaching you to read opening thread posts ;)

@ Nick - I did check that the volume was set up and on so that can be checked off the list.