1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound output from sky+ via optical

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by hulkhead, Mar 2, 2005.

1. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi everyone,

Can someone please confirm the following:

i have conencted up my sky+ box to the amp via the optical connection. I only get sound in 2 channel for all channels except sky movies 1,2 &3 which is in DD5.1. Is this correct? Are any channels in pro logic?

thanks

2. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Hulkhead

DD5.1 is only available on selected movie channels and a few Disney channel broadcasts. As for Pro logic, this is encoded into the 2 channel sound and if available will be indicated by DS in the program information. Most movies that are not DD are DS encoded, unless they were not recorded as such.

I found my amp doesn't automatically detect PL, as it does for DD and DTS, but if I select PLII manually it does give the surround sound effect.

HTH

Wackojacko32

3. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks mate - looks like my amp does not detect pro logic automatically like yours. i will try manually.

4. Brian P

Brian P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

As far as I can determine Sky Movies 1,2&3 transmit DD 5.1 when it is available and my amp detects this as Dolby Digital 3/21. Those same 3 channels transmit Dolby Surround when it is available and my amp detects this as Dollby Digital 2/0. For films on any other Sky Movies channel my amp detects PCM 48 even if the film is listed as DS. If I watch a Dolby Digital 2/0 film I have to manually select ProLogic II Movies on my amp. (My amp is a Sony STR-DE697 connected to a Pace Sky+ with an optical lead).
    Does this make sense?

5. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Same set up as mine :)

6. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    cheers brian p - thats exactly the same as me. i will try the manual selection tonight and see what results i get.

7. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Sky movies, 1, 2, 3 & 4 are set up for broadcating DD5.1.

8. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Some info that may help here:

For the relevant Sky Movies channels broadcasting in Dolby Digital, some times that signal will be Dolby Digital 5.1, sometimes it will Dolby Digital 2.0 (Dolby Surround). These channels broadcast in their datastream a flag (the flag is embedded by the film producers at mixdown - it is not inserted by SKY), and this flag is detected by your AV amp causing it to switch you into the right mode automatically. This flag is identical to the ones used on DVDs - and hence why your AV amp switches automatically to the correct mode when playing a DVD. (There are universal DTS flags also).

However, on all the normal SKY channels, these flags are not transmitted (or equally one could say that the flags embedded in the DD datastreams are lost in the down conversion to PCM). It would be a logistical nightmare for SKY to re-insert these flags for the PCM channels - trying to work out which programmes were surround or not etc, etc. So you'll not see any automatic switching going on in your AV amp for the non-Dolby Digital channels.

In the abscence of a flag, it is impossible for AV amps to differentiate between a stereo signal or a Dolby Surround signal. It can't detect the difference on its own. Be that via a digital input, or an analogue input. So, for all the non-Dolby Digital channels on SKY, then you will have to manually select Dolby Pro Logic if you wish to decode a Dolby Surround encoded programme. And manually switch back again for stereo. There's no other way of doing it.

So, if you are listening to the Simpsons on Sky One, via a digital connection into your AV amp, then you will always have to switch your amp to Dolby Pro Logic mode. However, on Sky's DD channels, the flag will do all the switching for you.

On the normal channels, there is a great deal of content broadcast in Dolby Surround, so have your Dolby Pro Logic buttons at the ready.

9. mps

mps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I am not so sure about sky movies 4 :confused: